U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,150,666 times

Advertisements

UIHC is one of the finest hospitals in the country. It is absolutely spectacular. I say that as a person that dislikes Iowa City, but I have a great respect for UIHC.

When it comes to meeting a wife. No, I would not recommend it. Are there eligible and attractive single women? You bet there are. However, most of them are students, and most of those students are from out of state. They usually have no plans to stay in Iowa. Now, on the surface, that's fine. You may plan to move after your residency. However, they will be more prone to wanting to move back to their family. If you wanted to live on the West Coast, but her family is in Philly (or more commonly Chicago), you'll be in for challenges for the rest of your life.

As a result, I usually recommend that people wanting to get married look first at where they want to live and how they can move there. That way, you have a much better chance of finding and marrying someone that wants to live in a similar environment. This also encourages people to seek areas that are not college towns, because you'll have a higher likelihood of meeting women who happen to live and have family in the surrounding area.

Note: UofI is also one of the top party schools in the country. They drink a ton. However, the medical programs there are world class. It is a ironic mix, but they have certainly achieved it. It isn't to my taste, but I must respect that they have somehow combined these two features into one school.

PS. I am married, I did not meet my wife there, and given that I am not a drinking extrovert, I would've had a very difficult time meeting a significant other there.

PPS. If you don't like the barscene, you don't want to go there to find a wife. Most women at the bar, like the bar. That is why they go. If you want to meet someone that is perfect for you, it isn't likely to be in a place that you don't like to go. That just sets the stage for meeting someone with different desires.

The kinds of cities I normally recommend to people of your age that are looking for a life long relationship: Seattle, San Diego, Phx/Tucson, Denver, Houston, OKC/Tulsa, Atlanta, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

All cities with great weather (depending on your preference for rain/heat) and huge populations.

Bigger populations mean more people for you to meet, which increases the chance of finding someone that meets your ideals. Great weather means more time outside for you to meet people, since you are unlikely to first meet your soulmate sitting in your apartment hiding from the cold. I do not list places like New York or LA due to the cost of living.

Iowa City is a very small city, and it feels very small. The population was 70k as of the last census estimate. One of the smallest places I listed was San Diego, which had a population of 1.3 million. Roughly 18 to 19 times the size of Iowa City. Of course, OKC and Tulsa individually are smaller than San Diego. However, some people like the "Midwest" feel, and IMO Tulsa and OKC are some of the best "Midwest" cities. Albuquerque is a very nice city also with spectacular weather, but I've heard from singles there that the dating scene isn't as good. It may still be worth including in your list of cities to research.

Toss the city name into google with "wiki" and you'll be all set to learn about any city you feel like

It is worth the time to research, because making a great decision will have a huge impact on the rest of your life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM

18 posts, read 57,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
PS. I am married, I did not meet my wife there, and given that I am not a drinking extrovert, I would've had a very difficult time meeting a significant other there.

PPS. If you don't like the barscene, you don't want to go there to find a wife. Most women at the bar, like the bar. That is why they go. If you want to meet someone that is perfect for you, it isn't likely to be in a place that you don't like to go. That just sets the stage for meeting someone with different desires.

The kinds of cities I normally recommend to people of your age that are looking for a life long relationship: Seattle, San Diego, Phx/Tucson, Denver, Houston, OKC/Tulsa, Atlanta, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

All cities with great weather (depending on your preference for rain/heat) and huge populations.

Bigger populations mean more people for you to meet, which increases the chance of finding someone that meets your ideals. Great weather means more time outside for you to meet people, since you are unlikely to first meet your soulmate sitting in your apartment hiding from the cold. I do not list places like New York or LA due to the cost of living.
With that said, this is all assumption. I don't think there is anyway to really know whether someone is more likely to find a mate in those cities than in a place like Iowa City (maybe look at marriage rates???). I know many people who found spouses in the area not in bars, while young professionals, and people who do not like the bar scene, but those are just anecdotes. With the large student population, there naturally is a large bar scene, but again, I don't think there is really any data that shows that young professionals in the area participate in it more than other cities.

If you like smaller Midwestern cities, I think Iowa City is one of the best. If you absolutely cannot stand colder weather and need to live in a metro with millions of people, Iowa City clearly is not the best place. I think too often people assume that just because a city does not have what they want, it is not good for someone else. I would absolutely hate living in most of the above named cities, but a lot of people want different things in a city than I do.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Statistics is an accepted field of math for a reason. It works.

It is fairly obvious that by being exposed to more people with similar interests, the odds of finding one that is a great match go up. Of course there are instances where people find what they want without a large sample size.

Do you play any poker?

You can go all in on 2-7 and beat someone with A-A, but that doesn't mean you should shove all your chips in whenever you see 2-7 in your pocket.

Why is that when I make a detailed and reasoned post providing someone with useful information that doesn't fit the dogma, it has to be misconstrued into some kind of unilateral thinking?

It is very possible to meet a great spouse in Iowa. However, bigger cities, at least within reasonable limits, make it easier to accomplish that task. By my reasoning, Des Moines is the easiest place in Iowa to meet a future spouse.

Did I, in any way, indicate that Iowa City was bad for everyone? No, I did not. I responded to very specific statements that the OP had made about himself, and I used that information to suggest options.

Clearly, if you would hate living in most of those cities, you dislike metro areas. I hope you can understand that other people might dislike Iowa City for exactly the opposite reasons.

For me, the most depressing thing on this forum, is seeing people that completely misconstrue a post into what they want to see. When I assume a city might not be a good fit for someone based on the specific information they have provided, that is vastly different than assuming that it is not a good fit for someone else whom I know nothing about. The OP described himself and his interests in the original post. If we told him that Iowa City fit the specifics he outlined, we would be lying to him. I don't think either of us want people to move to Iowa City and then hate it. If they would like Iowa City, we both want them to move there. If they wouldn't like it, hopefully neither of us want them to move there based off a lack of, or incorrect, information.

My goal is to help everyone I see posting a thread about moving to make an informed decision. When someone tells me, "I want a small to mid sized college town with spectacular medical services and a good bar scene", I'm not afraid to tell them that Iowa City might be perfect for them.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,442,029 times
I'd be very happy to answer some of the questions you specifically asked above @ 12:45 or respond to some of your statements but this thread is not the place to do it properly given that it would veer the thread off topic.

josh238
In the interim, may we ask if you have had any of your questions or concerns answered or do you have more to ask?
Also, do you need direction to resources in Iowa City or at the university that forum members can point you to?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Why is that when I make a detailed and reasoned post providing someone with useful information that doesn't fit the dogma, it has to be misconstrued into some kind of unilateral thinking?

It is very possible to meet a great spouse in Iowa. However, bigger cities, at least within reasonable limits, make it easier to accomplish that task. By my reasoning, Des Moines is the easiest place in Iowa to meet a future spouse.

Did I, in any way, indicate that Iowa City was bad for everyone? No, I did not. I responded to very specific statements that the OP had made about himself, and I used that information to suggest options.

Clearly, if you would hate living in most of those cities, you dislike metro areas. I hope you can understand that other people might dislike Iowa City for exactly the opposite reasons.

For me, the most depressing thing on this forum, is seeing people that completely misconstrue a post into what they want to see. When I assume a city might not be a good fit for someone based on the specific information they have provided, that is vastly different than assuming that it is not a good fit for someone else whom I know nothing about. The OP described himself and his interests in the original post. If we told him that Iowa City fit the specifics he outlined, we would be lying to him. I don't think either of us want people to move to Iowa City and then hate it. If they would like Iowa City, we both want them to move there. If they wouldn't like it, hopefully neither of us want them to move there based off a lack of, or incorrect, information.
I certainly do not want to encourage people to move to Iowa City when they clearly would not fit in. However, I see nothing from the OP's posts that indicates that Iowa City would not work well, and a lot that indicates that Iowa City could work well.

For example, the OP stated "can a single, kinda nerdy, guy meet women in this town..." He also stated "Ive heard that Iowa can be a bit cush in how it treats its residents so instead of working eighty im wishing for sixty hour workweeks." Personally, I think Iowa matches up perfectly with what the OP is looking for. If UI's program is really more "cush," requiring about 20 more hours a week, I think that would be a huge advantage over other universities that may not afford him the opportunity to meet women. What is the use in going to a city with a lot more dating options if you have no time to explore those options?

Also, I don't think the OP said he is also looking for a nerdy girl, but like most people, I am going to assume he wants someone like him, a self-declared nerd. Iowa City might not have the largest population, but its population is one of the most educated in the country according to many sources, meaning that a "nerdy guy" may have a higher likelihood of finding a nerdy girl than in other parts of the country. And, even if OP works only 60 hours a week, that is still a lot and the (presumed) higher concentration of nerdy girls may mean that he has to spend less time sifting through incompatible women (rather than having to go on 20 dates to find "the one," maybe he will need just a few).

I am curious if a mega city actually is better than a small city. There certainly will be more "fish in the sea," but is a sea of 1,000,000 really better than a sea of 50,000? That is still a lot of people and realistically, you can only meet so many of those people. So, I would like some data on that.

I agree that you did not say Iowa City (or Iowa, or the Midwest) is bad for everyone, but there are a lot of people that do. I understand there are many people that dislike it for whatever reason (climate, small cities, people), but it does irritate me when people encourage others not to move because of what they do not like (note, I am not talking about you). It is important to remember that, yes, we are trying to give advise to a specific poster with questions, but also to keep in mind that potentially thousands of others will look at these posts over the coming years and form opinions. I do think you strongly indicate that no one who is looking for a spouse should move to Iowa City, and I think that is a mistaken opinion. There are way too many other factors to consider, and I do believe that Iowa City COULD be a great place for the OP (unless he listed other criteria that I missed) and others looking for a spouse.

Last edited by jthomas.7489; 02-04-2014 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 AM

Rep to jthomas for a very intelligent post.

UIHC certainly is great for residents, and the city is ranked very high for education. I think the ranking reflects the quality of the college and the natural impact of a world class hospital in a small town. Since UIHC employees make up a significant portion of the population, it pulls the statistics out of the bell curve and results in a very high ranking. Since he is going to be working there, that is a great thing for meeting a woman that has some similarities.

Is a sea of 1 mil better than 50k? You can make a reasonable argument that the marginal gains are not significant, especially after adjusting for the higher than average level of education in this particular smaller sea. When I consider that, I assume the OP is looking for a female about his age. In which case, we can eliminate half the population for the wrong gender. We can eliminate at least 80% for being outside of the normal age gap. Which brings us down to maybe 5000 potential women to date. Eliminate the ones that are already married (I hope you'll agree!), and you're dropping it down around 1250. Now if he has other requirements such as being attractive, or liking sports or science or sushi, or not drinking alcohol / smoking / using mj, whatever particulars he may have for a spouse, and we are likely to narrow that down to around 125 single women that meet all the preset criteria to have the potential for a serious long term relationship with him. That's why I think the larger sea offers a significant advantage. Granted, even 125 women that are very solid fits for everything he is looking for offers many options to find the one that also finds him to be just what they wanted.

If the OP was solely comparing between UIHC and a hospital that required 80 hours per week, I would say UIHC is definitely the better choice. It is definitely possible to meet a spouse there, it just seems harder (in my opinion) to find non-drinking extracurricular activities in which to meet someone.

Certainly, I do have a prejudice against Iowa City for the exact reasons you mentioned. I try to make sure that I'm taking an objective look at it, but I believe both of our prejudices, for and against, may color the way in which we perceive the importance of various points in the original post and the way we fill in the gaps in assumptions. If all people could disagree with such tact, these forums would be a very enjoyable place for all.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Rep to jthomas for a very intelligent post.

Certainly, I do have a prejudice against Iowa City for the exact reasons you mentioned. I try to make sure that I'm taking an objective look at it, but I believe both of our prejudices, for and against, may color the way in which we perceive the importance of various points in the original post and the way we fill in the gaps in assumptions. If all people could disagree with such tact, these forums would be a very enjoyable place for all.
Agree very much with this and the rest of your post, and I would very much like to continue in depth conversations about subjects we obviously care about. I don't want to get too off topic here, but I would be interested to hear in detail how you came to dislike your time in Iowa City. It seems we have had a very different experience; we both seem to have come from places outside of Iowa. I have lived in or spent considerable amount of time in places ranging from mega cities both outside and inside the United States to other college towns.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 AM

I'll shoot you a PM

Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 PM

53 posts, read 83,364 times
I am so overwhelmed by these comments...I dont know where to begin. I guess stories that are unique to yourselves about others finding success would be a good thing. Im not interested in statistics, data seems to work in aggregate, but a lot of times data fails for a variety of reasons....mainly because not everyone falls in the mean.

I dunno, Im not a big fan of the city. easy to get washed away with all the folks. Ive noticed that big cities tend to force individuals to aggregate to what everyone else does...clubs, and such. whereas smaller cities allow you to distinguish yourself more. Im tired, just had a big test.

Im from a small rural town with less than seventy. And for several years lived in an area with less than ten. I think its easier to fit in these areas when you are with likeminded folks because its more intimate. NYC etc is easy to get lost in.

I like that Iowa is famous for writers and the arts. i also like its liberal tendencies. Ideally I would like the south or cali, but im not a fan of the south in terms of fitting in and cali is way to costly. Texas though is interesting and Im looking into it. Unfortunately its medical centers arent exactly what Im looking for.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 AM

63 posts, read 108,447 times
Look at it this way, if there was a perfect place for everyone, everyone would be living there. But because people are looking for different things, there are cities almost everywhere!
What I mean by putting yourself out there, I meant not going to the bars and doing the stereotypical single thing. I mean just being open to meeting people and being receptive. That is all. I meet my wife my wife in Iowa City. My brother in law met his wife here as well. He is now an OB. They met through a friend.

I came from a small town. I like Iowa City for some of the things it has to offer, and dislike it for other things. What I like it for and dislike it for may be different than my neighbors.

I would say go for your schooling and what would be best for your career. Then let the other take care of its self. Residency isn't forever, if you don't like where you are at, when you are done, you can always move. I would be very surprised if you didn't find at least one person in a town the size of Iowa City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City