U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:50 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,451,326 times

Advertisements

josh
Since you mentioned that you like the fact that The University of Iowa is known for it's arts & literature programs, I've included a link here from youtube. Most of the material found there is related to information on or interviews out of the Iowa Writer's Workshop. It is a very remarkable & well-regarded program.
The Writing University - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 PM

174 posts, read 250,750 times
I quite enjoyed my time in Iowa City. I did meet my Significant other there as well. And I also moved there from out of state (I moved from California) and he was from the Chicago area. We are now living in Austin, TX. I don't think you should ever not consider an individual just because they are not from Iowa City. Many people doing their residencies at UIHC are not residents of Iowa (or even the midwest). He and I actually met at the dog park. I was pre-med just finishing my second Bachelors and he was a grad student working for the university. Neither one of us was big into the bar scene or huge drinkers. We lived on the West side of Iowa city and I worked at Mercy hospital on the east side and honestly my commute was pretty simple! I wouldnt recommend coraville just because those early morning wakeups are no fun in the cold. We had a good friend who was doing his residency at UIHC (his wife as well) and they moved to a house on the west side and he rode his bicycle and she rode a scooter there everyday. Iowa City has TONS of activities and honestly a lot of great things going for it. Is it a college town? of course! But it also has a very sizable grad population (I'm going to go out on a limb and figure you probably won't want to date an under 24-25 undergrad) so you could definitely find someone that is on your level.

My fella is geeky and an engineer Good luck!

Old 04-09-2014, 03:33 AM

282 posts, read 947,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
UIHC is one of the finest hospitals in the country. It is absolutely spectacular. I say that as a person that dislikes Iowa City, but I have a great respect for UIHC.

When it comes to meeting a wife. No, I would not recommend it. Are there eligible and attractive single women? You bet there are. However, most of them are students, and most of those students are from out of state. They usually have no plans to stay in Iowa. Now, on the surface, that's fine. You may plan to move after your residency. However, they will be more prone to wanting to move back to their family. If you wanted to live on the West Coast, but her family is in Philly (or more commonly Chicago), you'll be in for challenges for the rest of your life.

As a result, I usually recommend that people wanting to get married look first at where they want to live and how they can move there. That way, you have a much better chance of finding and marrying someone that wants to live in a similar environment. This also encourages people to seek areas that are not college towns, because you'll have a higher likelihood of meeting women who happen to live and have family in the surrounding area.

Note: UofI is also one of the top party schools in the country. They drink a ton. However, the medical programs there are world class. It is a ironic mix, but they have certainly achieved it. It isn't to my taste, but I must respect that they have somehow combined these two features into one school.

PS. I am married, I did not meet my wife there, and given that I am not a drinking extrovert, I would've had a very difficult time meeting a significant other there.

PPS. If you don't like the barscene, you don't want to go there to find a wife. Most women at the bar, like the bar. That is why they go. If you want to meet someone that is perfect for you, it isn't likely to be in a place that you don't like to go. That just sets the stage for meeting someone with different desires.

The kinds of cities I normally recommend to people of your age that are looking for a life long relationship: Seattle, San Diego, Phx/Tucson, Denver, Houston, OKC/Tulsa, Atlanta, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

All cities with great weather (depending on your preference for rain/heat) and huge populations.

Bigger populations mean more people for you to meet, which increases the chance of finding someone that meets your ideals. Great weather means more time outside for you to meet people, since you are unlikely to first meet your soulmate sitting in your apartment hiding from the cold. I do not list places like New York or LA due to the cost of living.

Iowa City is a very small city, and it feels very small. The population was 70k as of the last census estimate. One of the smallest places I listed was San Diego, which had a population of 1.3 million. Roughly 18 to 19 times the size of Iowa City. Of course, OKC and Tulsa individually are smaller than San Diego. However, some people like the "Midwest" feel, and IMO Tulsa and OKC are some of the best "Midwest" cities. Albuquerque is a very nice city also with spectacular weather, but I've heard from singles there that the dating scene isn't as good. It may still be worth including in your list of cities to research.

Toss the city name into google with "wiki" and you'll be all set to learn about any city you feel like

It is worth the time to research, because making a great decision will have a huge impact on the rest of your life.
Wow. This is staggering. Where did you get your statistics, lurtsman, and how long did you live in Iowa City to have this much 'knowledge'?

You can find a wife anywhere. The original poster wants primarily to find a great residency, and this one seems to suit him very well. I disagree with lurtsman that Iowa City feels very small. It is very liberal, has such activities, and in fact feels like a bigger city.

The comments that you heard in lurtsman's post about drinking apply to the undergraduates on the east side of the river, not residents and professions on the west side nearly so much. I completely disagree with his comment,"I am married, I did not meet my wife there, and given that I am not a drinking extrovert, I would've had a very difficult time meeting a significant other there." Complete nonsense.

He also said the following: "When it comes to meeting a wife. No, I would not recommend it. Are there eligible and attractive single women? You bet there are. However, most of them are students, and most of those students are from out of state. They usually have no plans to stay in Iowa. Now, on the surface, that's fine. You may plan to move after your residency. However, they will be more prone to wanting to move back to their family."

Also complete nonsense. This applies to every state university in the country, and mainly to undergraduates, which I am sure this person has no interest in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City