Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM

17 posts, read 102,093 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there were any areas one should absolutely avoid living in or traveling through in Iowa City. I've been told some parts of the east side of the city are less than desirable. Is there anyone specifically I should make note to avoid?

Also, I was wondering how safe downtown was at night? I may be having to parking in a lot and walk to my car late at night. Is this safe to do or should it be avoided?

Thanks for the info all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Iowa City is PERFECTLY fine. There are some less than desirable areas, but that's a far cry from places I would be afraid of traveling through.

People talk poorly about the areas south of Highway 6 in southeast Iowa City, and also maybe of areas in Coralville around 22nd Ave and 23rd Ave north of Highway 6 - but they're hardly scary or dangerous. More just not desirable.

Downtown will have drunk college kids late at night who might be loud or annoying, but I've never once felt in fear anywhere in Iowa City. Crime is normally not an every day issue.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Where are you coming from? I choose to avoid the entire Iowa City area, but that has more to do with the terrible traffic (compared to anywhere else in Iowa) and bad streets.

Don't live: Anywhere with tons of college students

Don't travel: Through the southeast portion at night. Some parts of Coralville near the strip should also be avoided both during the day and night.

If you have the option: Look all around the country and figure out where you want to live.

As for parking and walking -- if you are on/next to the UofI campus or hospital you're in a fine area.

General common sense, which isn't so common, should apply.If you have a beard, you shouldn't worry about rape. If you are an attractive female, you should be more careful. As for my experience: I'm a reasonably large man in respectable but not incredible shape. My work sent me to several of the worst parts of the city on a routine basis. Anyone who isn't scared there is either a ninja or completely ignorant of the risks. I lived near Iowa City for nearly 5 years before getting out.

Side note: When I talk about "the strip" in coralville, I'm referencing the same place that Chicago60614 referenced. The only difference is I've been exposed to the kind of things that happen in those areas.

One more note: Be very very careful with leases. I've traveled the country a bit and the lease terms in Iowa City would not be legal in most of the places I've been to. (IE: Requiring four months notice) We wanted to find a new place every year, but each search just kept showing us more corrupt land lords. Even as we were there, the place we were staying went downhill fast. One of the managers moved in so he could walk the area at night and look for people committing tiny violations and fine them. He didn't even deliver the fines himself -- he sent the cops to deliver the letters. This grown man couldn't confront a small nurse in her twenties. That sad thing -- is this is one of the nicest apartments near there.

If you can buy a house, you won't have to deal with landlords, but then you would really be tying yourself to the area.

No disrespect to the many fine people living there, but it would be dishonest to abstain from replying to a post asking about where to live, travel, and avoid. If people with experiences dealing with the less attractive parts of town don't respond, newer people may hear only the tales of those wearing rose colored glasses.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the input! A bit of background on me and more specific info of what I am concerned with: I have lived in some typically rough cities (South Boston, Newark, Atlanta) and some beautiful places as well. Crime is a main concern of mine. I want to avoid areas where gang activity is happening, where I'd be at risk of my or my loved ones personal safety if they were to come home late at night, general harassment like panhandling, carjackings, excessive loitering and noise complaints (it takes a bit more than some college kids having a typical party on Friday to get me annoyed), drug problems, etc. I don't know if any of this does go on in Iowa City, but if so I'd definitely like to know where. I can't imagine traffic being a concern with me and I have dealt with Atlanta traffic for two years and that is some of the worst in the country.

So yeah, anywhere that has any of those characteristics please let me know. It seems it would be wise to avoid the southeast area and probably not live close to the path in Coralville (though from what I have heard Coralville is generally a bit nicer though I could be wrong). Another question is how likely am I to find myself in these areas if I don't live in them or take myself to them? Fearing carjacking is not something I'd like to put up with on my commute. I'd much rather pay a bit more than live in places like such.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyz View Post
Thanks for the input! A bit of background on me and more specific info of what I am concerned with: I have lived in some typically rough cities (South Boston, Newark, Atlanta) and some beautiful places as well. Crime is a main concern of mine. I want to avoid areas where gang activity is happening, where I'd be at risk of my or my loved ones personal safety if they were to come home late at night, general harassment like panhandling, carjackings, excessive loitering and noise complaints (it takes a bit more than some college kids having a typical party on Friday to get me annoyed), drug problems, etc. I don't know if any of this does go on in Iowa City, but if so I'd definitely like to know where. I can't imagine traffic being a concern with me and I have dealt with Atlanta traffic for two years and that is some of the worst in the country.

So yeah, anywhere that has any of those characteristics please let me know. It seems it would be wise to avoid the southeast area and probably not live close to the path in Coralville (though from what I have heard Coralville is generally a bit nicer though I could be wrong). Another question is how likely am I to find myself in these areas if I don't live in them or take myself to them? Fearing carjacking is not something I'd like to put up with on my commute. I'd much rather pay a bit more than live in places like such.
My oldest daughter lives in Coralville and I have other relatives there also. Based on what I've seen and what I've heard from them, the only place to totally avoid living at is south of Hwy. 6 going east. The section 8 apartments along there are crime ridden and getting worse. During the day, I wouldn't feel too much in any danger driving through that area. We're not talking south Chicago here. You would never have any reason to have to drive through there to go to do anything be it work or recreation. The FAR east apartment complex south of Hwy. 6 is pretty nice and safe. I believe it's on Paddock Road. My daughter did live there for a while.

Coralville's residential areas are pretty safe. She jogs there all the time and has never felt threatened. The strip as both Chicago60614 and lurtsman described earlier I suppose could be questionable. I'm not near as familiar with how good or bad this area is as I'm sure they are.

As to downtown, it's just plain cool. I love it. Lot's to do and see, but yea there's a lot of drunk college students.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
My daughter lived in downtown Iowa City for 5 years (loved it), and I've worked in downtown IC for the past 10 years. I agree with the others about the places to avoid. My daughter worked part time (downtown) during the years she was there, mostly at night. She never encountered any problems walking home at night, but used common sense. One incident of vandalism to her car during those years (bashed side view mirror while parked overnight on the street). I know many people living and working in IC and no one that I know has had problems with crime, but they don't live in those particular problem areas.

I'm originally from Los Angeles. I don't think you'll have any problem with the "traffic" in IC.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-20-2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM

708 posts, read 878,469 times
I would contact the police departments in the area to get the most up to date data on crime.

Some of the recommendations I'm guessing come from a few newspaper articles that appeared years ago. The IC police dept tends to be more open about sharing data which skews opinions more. Our local newspaper doesn't always dig real hard for stories in other areas.

I wouldn't say any city (IC, Coralville, or NL) has any one area that is 100% safe.

Technically the SE side of IC encompasses a pretty broad area, to characterize that entire area as unsafe, is just silly in my eyes. Even the recommendation about south of highway 6 is a little broad.

For the person who mentioned section 8 these apts exist throughout the IC, NL and Coralville areas. The "Chicago" people that were mentioned in another post aren't confined to one part of town.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. It seems as though some areas are definitely worth avoiding, particular that area in the SE side and that patch around Coralville 22nd and 23rd. Downtown also seems like it would be convenient to avoid since I don't really want to live around a bunch of rowdy college students. If anyone has anything else to add I'd love to hear all feedback.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
More details by crimes and neighborhood on this link. Its a pretty safe place overall. People have to cautious these days no matter where they live. Good luck.

City of Iowa City | Current Crime Stats

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...City-Iowa.html

Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyz View Post
Thanks for the replies. It seems as though some areas are definitely worth avoiding, particular that area in the SE side and that patch around Coralville 22nd and 23rd. Downtown also seems like it would be convenient to avoid since I don't really want to live around a bunch of rowdy college students. If anyone has anything else to add I'd love to hear all feedback.
To put it all in perspective though since you're moving from other larger cities - we're comparing crime in Iowa City, which overall is going to be MUCH MUCH less than other larger cities that you're talking about. It's all relative. People say to avoid this area and that area in Iowa City, but anyone from Atlanta, Chicago or other places with hoods would sit and laugh. It's still relevent though, crime is crime - but sketchy in Iowa City might be friendly middle class to others.

I'm not sure where the traffic comments came from - Iowa City virtually has no traffic to speak of. Yes at times it can get busy and there are a ton of cars on the road, but not to the point you're going to show up 20 minutes late for something and say it was because of traffic. The worse I ever see is possibly not making it though a stoplight on the first run. On football Saturday's clearly everyone figures out right away that it's better to just stay away from campus if you don't need to be, because 75,000 visitors trying to get to the stadium will cause a ton of traffic.

If you want to avoid the places with the worst of the crime, just stay away from the far southeast side of town and that area in Coralville north of highway 6 and between 22nd and 23rd. That's about 8% of the total places in the city to live, hardly anything. Honestly the southeast side of town isn't really near much and the housing is fairly old/very cheap. You probably wouldn't be drawn to that area regardless of any sort of crime issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City