U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM
M77 M77 started this thread

4 posts, read 12,950 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving to Coralville IA in a couple moths. I have a 7 year old and 1 year old. Could you please recommend any places/activities for kids. I only know about Childrens Museum. We like going to the parks and playing sporst. Which parks have good playgrounds? Are there any soccer teams for kids? Is there any good karate studio in Coralville? Any recomendations would be helpful.

Also, what daycare centers would you recommend?

If you have any suggestions, please share. I would appreciate it.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 AM

179 posts, read 207,362 times
Hmmm, lot's of possible routes to go with this.

Not sure which sports your kids are into but there are lots of options. The Coralville Rec program runs a lot of great programs, some in conjunction with North Liberty. The indoor and outdoor pool and playground at the rec center/ST Morrison Park are very good. There's also a fun playground at Coralville Youth sports park (N 12th Avenue) which has soccer fields and baseball/softball fields. The playgrounds at Coralville Central Elem and Wickham Elem are good too, depending on what neighborhood you're in (don't really know anything about Kirkwood)

For soccer, there are lots of programs - Coralvilles' Tiny Tots (age 3-6) and CAKSL (7-8) is a good rec program and the earliest start for littles. There is Kickers in Iowa City (they play on the SE Side) and it's a rec quality (parent coach/volunteer org)club that is organized by school. It's a good low cost option. There are two soccer clubs ISC and IC Alliance(pro coached). Both are good. I'm partial to Alliance, my 12 and 7 yo both play there, I like the philosphy of the club, the way the training plan flows through the coaching, the parent vibe, which is not to knock ISC in any way, I know people who love it too. PM me if you want more info on why we chose one over the other.

There's an ice rink at coral ridge mall, if your kids like to skate or play hockey, there's a gymnastics club (Gym-Nest) and I know of a martial arts studio in North liberty that I've heard good things about, but I'm not really in with that crowd, I know there are several options you'll want to check.

Sorry, daycare has been so long ago, I can't give you much that would be useful.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 AM
M77 M77 started this thread

4 posts, read 12,950 times
Default To NLDad

Thank you so much for your response and recommendations! I'll be sure to check all those places out. And thanks for all the detailed info on soccer!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM

No problem - If you want any details, local serrvice referrals etc, feel free to email.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,154,664 times
Sometimes kids like researching colleges in other states so they can escape Iowa, but that won't be for quite a few more years

You might find a couple soccer teams, but don't expect too much competition. Physical activity isn't one of those things that people are really big on. If you like drinking calories, any form is okay, you'll find plenty of people sharing the hobby.

On a more serious note though: Coralville does have some nice areas. If you end up in North Liberty, it's basically the farther away option for people that couldn't afford Coralville. They have some programs through the NL rec center, but don't have high expectations. The employees are vastly below average and it runs from the top down. Harsh, but true.

If your kids like the performing arts, that is something that Iowa City has done incredibly well for its size. Same goes for health care, if you can afford it.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
You might find a couple soccer teams, but don't expect too much competition. Physical activity isn't one of those things that people are really big on.
I know I shouldn't feed the troll....but some facts to provide some balance to this droning attack, I'm sure the OP has already done this research but to provide balance for anyone else out there reading up on IC.

As for soccer - Iowa City is home to two competitive clubs, both of whom regularly compete out of state. One club had the U17 Girls Regional Champion team last year - that's the US Youth Soccer (The organization that sponsors the Olympic Development program etc.) Region II that includes Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois...so no slouch for competition. Eastern Iowa, with Iowa City at its core is routinely the strongest inter scholastic soccer competition in the state and is home to two dynasties (and another great program that holds its own agains the perenial top dog.) I think that's plenty of REAL competition for a city its size and more.

oh, and Iowa City also has 17 % cheaper healthcare that the national average, so not sure where that "if you can afford it" comment comes from

Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 AM

NL dad, I'm not saying that Iowa City's healthcare is more expensive. But the cost of living is high and the wages are low -- for those that are not employed by university of Iowa. The abundance of medical professionals keeps the official wage statistics high and drives the cost of living. For people who are not in the profession, the combination of low wages and high rents make it difficult to have money left for things like health insurance.

I know, you pretend I'm a troll because it is easier to demonize someone for having a dissenting viewpoint than to carefully assess the facts and admit that your beloved city may be less than wonderful.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,448,908 times
Let's look at the facts inherent in the recent exchange above. NLdad made a reply on 7-21-14 to an ill-informed post about the supposed lack of meaningful soccer opportunities, etc. for kids in the Iowa City area because he had specific, fact-based knowledge that rebutted what was written and could be helpful to the op by clearing up any conclusions that thus could have been drawn in error.
NLdad also made a further comment directed at that ill-informed member & the nature of their regular posts because they have a long record of posting on the Iowa Forum. Via that posting history anyone is able to see quite clearly what is going on here. It's not a simple matter of that member "...having a dissenting viewpoint..." as they put it. We all have opinions that dissent from each other & that's the way that it should be.
But rather, we all have a memory, plus as an aid to the memory, there is the fact that the posting record of anyone is easily accessible here. A sorting out of it by topic can allow anyone to make an honest assessment & draw conclusions for themselves as to whether or not a particular record of posts here constitutes trolling.
It's also easy enough to read between the lines into the nature of a posting record & determine whether there is an agenda at work. Specifically for example, how many times does a person need to post, "Thank God I don't live in Iowa anymore," or any number of variations thereof before they are convicted by their words which make it obvious that a very in-your-face type of agenda is at work that seems rooted in resentment & anger toward Iowans. Just look at the first line of their post here on 7-20-14 as a further example. Their regular over-use of smiley faces just doesn't cut it in that type of post.
As regards their line, "...your beloved city may be less than wonderful", the same goes for any place in the U.S., and that includes where that other member lives.
Therefore, weighing all of the available online evidence, I have no problem with anything that NLdad wrote in rebuttal on 7-21-14.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,422 times
The Iowa City-Coralville area takes some getting used to. The weather IS a big factor. But what is more important is just how little there is to do here for families with little kids, compared to other places. After moving in from a much bigger city from the South, what was obvious after a while was just the lack of warmth in interactions with people here. Sure, they are friendly (sort-of) and say all the right things in greeting you, but its not the warmth and friendliness of the South. Did I mention not much to do here either? There are only so many options for activities to do with kids, and the quality is not too great either.

Last edited by ZeeRows; 10-26-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
to an ill-informed post
These personal attacks have to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or