U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,014,495 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have pictures from the floods in Iowa City? I lived there for 22 years, but have been away for a few years, and didn't make it back to help in June because of road closures. I kept up with everything online though, where KCRG showed their 24 hour a day broadcast.

I was surprised how well they've cleaned things up the 3-4 times I've been back since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,236 times
Thanks for the photos. One little correction. The Englert was split in half in the 80s when the multiplex movie theaters were just beginning to happen. It wasn't without some controversy even then.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,236 times
Hancher Auditorium took a big hit in the flood. It's not coming back real soon.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 AM

681 posts, read 2,807,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Does anyone have pictures from the floods in Iowa City? I lived there for 22 years, but have been away for a few years, and didn't make it back to help in June because of road closures. I kept up with everything online though, where KCRG showed their 24 hour a day broadcast.

I was surprised how well they've cleaned things up the 3-4 times I've been back since then.
The Des Moines Register has a big photo gallery of the flood (a mix of IC, CR, and Des Moines photos), and I have just a few I took myself on my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/citizensharp/page3/ - broken link).

I remember watching KCRG too, and thinking how rough those poor news anchors looked as the flood drug on. I also remember how shocked they themselves seemed when they had to announce the complete evacuation of downtown Cedar Rapids. Those were some scary times, for sure.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,014,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
The Des Moines Register has a big photo gallery of the flood (a mix of IC, CR, and Des Moines photos), and I have just a few I took myself on my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/citizensharp/page3/ - broken link).

I remember watching KCRG too, and thinking how rough those poor news anchors looked as the flood drug on. I also remember how shocked they themselves seemed when they had to announce the complete evacuation of downtown Cedar Rapids. Those were some scary times, for sure.
Yeah, I remember watching Bruce Aune and Beth Malicki on live for HOURS AND HOURS. I'd go to sleep and they were on, then wake up the next morning and there they were again. I didn't know Beth, she's new to the area I believe, but I really loved her after watching the coverage for those few days. They kept apologizing for losing their train of thought or flubbing on the air - but they'd been on for 18 hours straight in 90+ degree temps in the news room!!!

My dad is a Director for the Business Services/Motor Pool/Physical Plant for the University - so of course his departments and his time were in very dire need during those weeks. He and my mom spent the entire time watching it on TV, then going to sandbag campus and random neighborhoods, and then trying to work with hundreds of people from Campus all needing trucks, supplies, etc.

My dad has lived in Coralville since 1950, so I know that even though he got about zero hours of sleep as a 60 year old man last summer, he wouldn't have changed anything. I think he really appreciated being able to make a difference and help out around town. My mother too, they really LOVE Iowa City. I felt so horrible I couldn't come back. I tried to rent a car from Chicago right when I realized how BAD things were really going to get, maybe that Thursday afternoon - but by the time I tried to leave Friday it was impossible to go from Chicago to Iowa City without going north through Waterloo and down via Des Moines.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 PM

124 posts, read 464,370 times
Quote:
It's always been a very tolerant and open minded place
That's one of the funniest things I've read today. I find that the more liberal a place or person is the less tolerant it/they are. Iowa City comes off to me as one big echo chamber for liberals without much tolerance for others that have differing views and opinions.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM

66 posts, read 166,631 times
look's like iowa city just might have a little lite weight something going on.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:29 AM

586 posts, read 1,983,322 times
Oh fo' shizzle brah! A little sumpin lite weight up in this piece indeed.

It'll be as hard as those mean mugs up in Waterloo there in due time.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM

66 posts, read 166,631 times
To much like suburb,i doubt it.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM

60 posts, read 191,724 times
just face it - waterloo is irrelevant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or