U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times

Advertisements

I found a bunch of pictures online that do a pretty good job of expressing the essence of life in Iowa City.

The city has around 100,000 in the urban area (63,000 in the city), and is located in eastern Iowa.

The city was founded in 1839, and laid out to be the new capitol of the state of Iowa. Iowa City became the capitol when Iowa officially joined the United States, but the capitol was moved to Des Moines in 1857. To help Iowa City out for taking the capitol away, the state government let the new University of Iowa be placed in Iowa City. This is what the city has been known for ever since.

The city today has roughly 63,000 people, with 30% of the city having German background, followed by Irish with 15%. 5% of the city is
Black, 6% Asian, and 4% hispanic.

The urban area has 2 public high schools, a Catholic high school, 3 middle schools and 18 elementary schools. The school enrollment is roughly 11,500, while the University of Iowa has an enrollment of around 30,000. This makes for a very young average age in the city.

The urban area has grown from:

1900: 14,000
1930: 20,000
1950: 35,000
1970: 62,000
2006: 108,000

Iowa City has a rating of 146 as far as the number of gays/lesbians reported living in the city, with the national average being 100. This ranks Iowa City as having one of the most concentrated populations of gays/lesbians in the country.

Crime in Iowa City is relatively rare, with murders only happening once every 2-3 years.

A few pictures from the late 1800's and early 1900's:

One of the Iowa City high schools: City High

The city has numerous musical and art festivals during the summer. Most popular is the Jazz Fest. There is also live music every Friday night during the summer in a downtown plaza that normally draws a few thousand people.

Iowa City was the center of the hippie action in Iowa during the 60's. It still lives on today to a large degree. It's a very bohemian city.

Iowa City's favorite hobby is protesting. The city is around 70% democratic and 10% Republican. It's always been a very tolerant and open minded place, which is the main reason it has such a large gay population. Most people in Iowa City either love it, or hate it.

The city collected thousands of signatures in 1985 and issued an ordinance banning any and all nuclear weapons from the city. They were protesting the Cold War, nuclear weapons, and the United States government. The federal government use to ship nuclear materials across the country using Interstate 80, which passed through Iowa City. The city enacted the resolution to tell the government they are no longer welcome to ship any war materials on that route. It was just a form of protest, and the government never responded. The signs are still up on entrance points to the city.

Englert in 1915:

Englert today:

The theatre was torn in 2 back in the 50's to make a 2-screen movie theatre. A few years ago the city bought back the property and spent money to have it restored to one large auditorium where a very lively theatre production has begun putting on performances all year.

The county courthouse from the 1930's:

I had to go there when I was 16 and caught drinking.....

Typical bar:

There are around 25-30 bars in the center of town.

Manhole cover downtown:

There are many different sayings...

There are 3 different bus agencies in the area. Iowa City, Coralville, and Cambus. Together they deliver around 5,500,000 rides per year. Quite high for such a small area. Cambus delivers over 3,000,000 rides per year and is completely free to anyone and everyone who wants to use it. They have around 10 different routes that go everywhere in the central area.

Bye Iowa City!

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM

3,376 posts, read 12,226,866 times
LOVE the photos. What a trip down memory lane!!! The old Englert photos, the black angel!!, and dollar slices...mmmm.... ($1.50 now, lame).

Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,150,053 times
Wow! That was so interesting to see.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 PM

413 posts, read 1,567,319 times
Great pictures. We should have a thread like this for every Iowa metro, to keep challenging the farm state stereotype.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM

639 posts, read 886,175 times
Good idea QCI. I'll probably be doing some traveling around the state in April or May when the snow is all cleared up and plus I just got a new camera for Christmas so I can take some pictures of some of the metros.

Another stereotype I'd like to challenge is the "Iowa is flat" stereotype. I'll try to get some pics of the scenic areas to help break that one.

Thanks for the pics Chicago!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 5 days ago)

31,054 posts, read 68,875,531 times
Awesome! I've always wanted to see what Iowa City was like! It reminds me very much of Ithaca, New York, another uber-liberal and socially-progressive college town. I've always loved college towns, and I'll now be adding Iowa City onto my list of favorites. I hope to do a tour of the Upper Midwest someday to visit places like Madison and Duluth, and now I know I must add Iowa City to that list as well. Great job on the photos! It looks like everything I dream my own hometown of Scranton, PA will become once the New Yorkers take over.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 5 days ago)

31,054 posts, read 68,875,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Awesome! I've always wanted to see what Iowa City was like! It reminds me very much of Ithaca, New York, another uber-liberal and socially-progressive college town. I've always loved college towns, and I'll now be adding Iowa City onto my list of favorites. I hope to do a tour of the Upper Midwest someday to visit places like Madison and Duluth, and now I know I must add Iowa City to that list as well. Great job on the photos! It looks like everything I dream my own hometown of Scranton, PA will become once the New Yorkers take over.
With that being said I'd also love to see a Dubuque photo thread. I've always had an odd curiosity about that city that probably stems from my desire to visit nearby Galena, IL.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,226,866 times
Wait...Iowa isn't ALL farmland??

I swear we rode cattle to and from class back in Iowa City. (haha)

Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM

2,163 posts, read 2,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post

I gotta agree with SWB, Iowa City and Ithaca are twin brothers from different mothers. Very similar in so many ways, and strangely enough, two of the last three Presidents of Cornell University in Ithaca have come from Univ. of Iowa (Hunter Rawlings and David Skorton).

Wonderful tour and pics Chicago60614. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 PM

154 posts, read 845,708 times
Awesome photos. Iowa City is the best town to live in the whole state, if you HAVE to live there...make sure to buy a big down jacket before moving there though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or