Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times

Advertisements

I am considering a position in Coralville and am looking at Coralville/North Liberty/Iowa City to live.

A few questions:
- I am single, in my late 20s and from a metro area of about 1 million people. Will I be bored to death, or is there a decent amount of stuff to do? From what I have read, there is more to do than one might think, but it is still a pretty slow pace of life (which is okay). I considered Cedar Rapids since it is a much larger town but it seems like most people think the Iowa City area has a livelier scene for 20somethings (I'm guessing the University has a lot to do with that).

- How is the biking scene in the region? I'd love to be able to commute to work and do errands by cycling

- Are there any good, inexpensive gyms in the area? I'm not looking for a bunch of hot yoga classes, personal training, crossfit, etc. I just need a rack to do squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench press, etc. Would prefer to pay month to month but would be willing to sign on for a year if it was cheap and I have no other options. I have a home gym but might just rent a 1 bedroom and would not have room for it. I'd be willing to rent a 2 bedroom if there are no good options for gyms in the area.

- How much can I expect a 900-1000 square foot place to cost to heat in the winter. Iowa would be by far the coldest place I have ever lived and don't really know what to expect in terms of utility costs.

- How is internet service? I know it seems strange, but this is important to me. I need a reliable 10mbit+ connection to survive. How are the providers and how expensive are they?

- Bars? Nightclubs? I am assuming this is university dominated? Are there watering holes for people my age that are a little too old to mingle with undergrads, but not old enough to be pounding scotch reminiscing about the good old days when politicians were still honest?

- Do ridesharing services like Uber/Lyft operate in the area?

- Schools are of no concern to me since I don't have children... and I won't be working at the university so am I better off saving a few dollars and living in North Liberty or Coralville? It seems like I can get more for the money there because proximity to campus is not an issue for me. The job I am considering is near the University of Iowa Research Park, just north of I-80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
1. Possibly bored to death. I certainly found it boring.
2. People love biking.
3. I don't recall, my wife wrote the check for the utility bills.
4. Crap, you get mediacom in most places. Their corporate employees will hate you (just try calling) and it is massively over priced. Since I left I'm getting 4x the speed for 1/2 the price. (Not joking)
5. Yes to university dominated. If bars are your thing, you'll find plenty of people that want to get drunk.
6. LOL. I haven't been there in a couple years but that really sounds like a more metro idea.
7. Yes, North Liberty is substantially cheaper. It is a bedroom community. It is still over priced relative to 95% of the Midwest, but cheaper than IC by a significant margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City