U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:14 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,148,293 times

Advertisements

Tell me how bad the winters are. I know its zone 6a and although I want a climate cooler than south FL, I dont want extreme cold, it causes problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 04:15 PM

556 posts, read 526,838 times
I like cold weather, and used to live in Davenport. We had a Franklin wood burning fireplace/stove with a blower built into the chimney. Our heat bills were about $25 a month all winter while everyone elses were around $200 a month. Of course you have to chop wood etc, but hey you're warm and it's cheap. Our house would get so hot in the dead of winter that we'd have the windows open in the bedrooms to keep the temperature comfortable enough to sleep!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 17,276 times
Default Flood of 93

I don't think the flooding was restricted to water area's. Conesville is apx. 35 miles SE of Iowa City and several miles from any river. It does lay between the Iowa and Cedar River. Columbus City was flooded as well and it's on high ground. The water seemed to come from the underground water table. Low area's of the towns and basements were flooded. It was very unusual. Dooo

Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 71,866 times
Winters are pretty cold - today the high got up to one! It'll be warming up to 15 by next Sun. It was like this last week too. This is definitely not the place for senior citizens. As soon as we can we're retiring to AZ. The summer's are also brutal - very humid. Aren't there veteran's hospitals in places that have warm climates?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 PM

358 posts, read 1,831,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwick View Post
Are you sure you really want to relocate to Iowa and live in such nasty winter weather?
Average high temp in January is about 30F. That isn't cold at all, for being winter. At the end of November and end of February, the average high is 45F.
I was in Iowa City last December and it was nice enough to enjoy a five mile walk at night.
For anyone asking about climate... just look on a weather website, look up the name of the town and select climate averages. It's easy to find this information.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM

402 posts, read 1,087,150 times
Default Loved Iowa, But..

Iowa has a Continental climate, as does the whole Plains area--very hot summers, extremely cold winters. No getting around it. Although we lived in South Dakota, Iowa's neighbor, for two years, the saying still holds true. "There is nothing but a barbed wire fence between the North Pole and (insert state here)". It's true, believe me. And the wind. It always blows.

I did love it when we went into Iowa, Sioux City in particular. If we were going to stay in the Midwest, Iowa was our first choice. At least they put stuff down on roads in winter when it snows, unlike South Dakota, which became a highway skating rink in the winter.

Also, winter can last from October to about mid-May. Where we were, there was a short period when things were green and then everything turned brown from the hot sun. It really is a whole different world from the other parts of the country.

But the people were great. If we were younger, we might go back to that area, but the older you get, the harder it is to take the cold, as well as putting up with the snow and ice. Ahh...to turn the clock back!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 17,659 times
yeah, the latest big disaster we had was an F2 Tornado which hit Downtown Iowa City. Damage Mandatory. But it is mostly cleaned up and things are back to normal. Just remember two things, Tornadoes and Snow.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 76,527 times
I am getting ready to move to Iowa from Indiana, and I have previously lived in Ohio....I expect Iowa winter may be a little more severe than what I am used to, but winter is winter...either you can deal with it or not. It will be cold, it will snow. If you are in the midwest, it happens at different time for different areas, but the winter seems to end up fairly similar.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 AM

114 posts, read 363,726 times
As a poor kid growing up in un - insulated houses, I do believe we could have froze to death in our sleep. (This is dry Iowa tongue-in-cheek humor, by the way). My sisters and I loved school because it was warm. In fact, as nights were sooo cold, the windows were etched in ice, (Jack Frost, we called it), and the wind blew during some blizzards, creating a howling sound in the nearby trees. We did not need spooky movies to get a thrill, we just huddled in a dark house at night and shivered! When morning came, we got dressed under the covers, (steam came from our breathing), and when one sister saw the schoolbus coming, from her view from the bedroom, we all jumped up and ran downstairs. With no time to eat, we were just were glad to get on the warm bus! We burned corncobs from a nearby field for fast heat in the wood stove to get bigger pieces of wood to burn. Of course, once the house was warm, it was great, very cozy, but those cold nights. Yikes! My memories of the weather are that they are extreme in both directions. Humid or cold. May and June were nice. Of course, lots of people lived in older homes back in the 50's and beyond, but now that homes are built better....hopefully not too many of our poorer population have to live this way. It's incredibly uncomfortable. Being older, you might stay inside anyway, but pipes can still freeze I suppose. And those ice storms do make electical lines and trees branches snap. It won't be too bad if you have a comfortable nest egg. Great if you like to read books, and do things inside. Why do you think Bingo is so popular?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 AM

402 posts, read 1,087,150 times
Default Actually, There Is A Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany1337 View Post
I am getting ready to move to Iowa from Indiana, and I have previously lived in Ohio....I expect Iowa winter may be a little more severe than what I am used to, but winter is winter...either you can deal with it or not. It will be cold, it will snow. If you are in the midwest, it happens at different time for different areas, but the winter seems to end up fairly similar.
I have to disagree with you about winter weather. It is not the same in different parts of the country. For instance:
Maine & parts of New England - heavy, heavy snow. You can expect barely above freezing temps sometimes even in mid-May. Nor'Easters are a coastal phenomenon. Although Maine gets a lot of snow, the snowy conditions are different from the Midwest. It lacks the following mid-Western characteristics:

White out conditions often occur. Because the wind is always blowing, you can be driving along and suddenly encounter drifts across the road from 6-12 feet. "Ground blizzards" are common-if you look up, the sun is shining but near the ground there is a raging snowstorm caused by that ever present wind. It is something one has to experience! Very strange.

The white curtain effect. Because the topography is mostly open fields, very strange things can happen. I was driving back home on a rural road and there was a white curtain just ahead. I drove through it. It was a horizontal pseudo-blizzard caused by the wind. Visibility 0. The only way I got through was to steer the car one way until it bumped the roadside drift. Then I turned the wheel the other way until it bumped on that side. After exiting this snow tunnel, I looked back and there it was, a Twilight Zone vision of something white blocking the road.

Freezing to death is a real possibility if you lose your heat source and your vehicles fuel lines are frozen. Since people are more isolated from each other then in other parts of the country, this is a real danger. I've seen not only frozen animals but 2 miles from us a snowmobiler missed a curve and froze to death before he could pull himself up to the road (he had broken an ankle).

I'm only writing this as I've lived in both areas and the differences can be startling. South Dakota (near the Iowa border) was the only place I ever had to constantly scrape ice off the inside of my windshield, even with the defroster going full blast.

Not recommended for older folks and it can become quite daunting even for younger ones who weren't born there and raised under these conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or