Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katychicago View Post
I really don't think Iowa is a good place to retire. Most of the old people here are very sad, bored, resentful and seldom smile. If you're leaving Nevada (I used to live in Henderson) and you have to come to Iowa, don't go to a town that is too small. You will not like it. People are NOT friendly, in spite of all the statements heard to the contrary. They are not helpful and I don't think I've ever seen anyone under 40 offer to help a senior citizen carry groceries, cross an icy sidewalk, pick up a prescription, etc. This is not a nice place. Check out Indiana. They have a great respect for senior citizens - older folks are admired and looked up to. Here in Iowa, it seems as though as soon as a person is over 65 their family starts checking out nursing homes or assisted living. People don't do that in most parts of the country. They take care of their older citizens. I think you'd be a lot happier anywhere but here.

Sorry but this post is so completely wrong. I don't even know where to start....

If this is your view on things then you must have lived in some tiny backward city. Or not even live/d here at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Iowa City had a low of -8F this morning.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
yeah but it wasn't all that bad I walk a mile to work/class every day

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
yeah but it wasn't all that bad I walk a mile to work/class every day
If the wind was calm, then -8F would not feel uncomfortable to me.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,417 times
When you have a winter this cold, it's all relative. Fifteen degrees with no wind feels tolerable to me right now. Thirty degrees is a warm winter day you look forward to this year.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM

474 posts, read 1,260,515 times
Default Cold Temps Indeed

Quote:
If the wind was calm, then -8F would not feel uncomfortable to me.
Quote:
I had to smile because I remember it was -10 when the hairs in my nose froze and broke off! I didn't wear a face scarf because I thought I was just walking across the campus square to return some books. Live and learn.

I can remember the December where it never got above zero. I was outside in a couple feet of snow, the sun was shining and I thought "finally, we've gotten above 0 degrees". I went in the house and turned the radio on to find that it was actually -16. The big difference was that, for once, the wind had decided not blow.

That was the month that our trailer's heater never stopped running--never. It was electric and the bill was over $300. That was at 1983 prices, so it was a HUGE amount for one month's worth. Of course $300 now doesn't even fill the heating oil tank halfway...

Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Last winter was snowier than this year. But this winter has been colder than last year. A few weeks ago here in eastern IA we had a week of -20 or colder temps. In fact one of those days we recorded the coldest location in the US.

But what is the difference between 5 and -25? It all feels cold as hell to me and I'm dressed for it anyway.

I would rather have things frozen all winter than slushy, icy, or rainy every other day like in Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas, or wherever. Yuck!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Compared to Chicago winters, they are almost tropical in Des Moines.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
If you have a brass monkey, you will need to periodically wrap it in a blanket to keep its balls from freezing off.

If you like a four season climate with rapid (and often severe) weather shifts, Iowa is the place for you.

I grew up in Des Moines and went to school in Iowa City, but I wouldn't retire there unless medical is an issue for you. The winters are horrible, the summers are humid.... there's really about 3 weeks of good weather a year and that's IT.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 AM

200 posts, read 632,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Last winter was snowier than this year. But this winter has been colder than last year. A few weeks ago here in eastern IA we had a week of -20 or colder temps. In fact one of those days we recorded the coldest location in the US.

But what is the difference between 5 and -25? It all feels cold as hell to me and I'm dressed for it anyway.

I would rather have things frozen all winter than slushy, icy, or rainy every other day like in Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas, or wherever. Yuck!
Yes, Yes it indeed rains every other day here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City