Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times

Advertisements

Hello, hope all is well with you

I'm a newly divorced mother with two daughters looking for a change. I recently visited Coralville/Iowa City/North Liberty and fell in love with those three areas. I know Iowa City is a college town but I was wondering if I could get some good feedback on apartments, schools, recreational activities, shopping, restaurants, safety and crime. I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in a quiet, clean and safe area, very good high school (my youngest daughter is an honor roll student and attends one of Chicago's top selective enrollment high schools), my oldest daughter is a college student and will likely take public transportation from time to time. We like to visit the malls, dine out from time to time, participate in outdoor activities, ride our bikes, visit museums and attractions, attend the movie theater and concerts.

Crime in Chicago is ridiculous and I'm looking for area much like the one I currently reside (no drive by shootings, no gang activities, no hoodlums on the street corner, no home invasions or burglaries, no robbery or breaking into/stealing cars, or drug dealing). I'm so tired of turning on the television and watching another innocent child/person gunned down or someone robbed of a cell phone or jacket or beaten unconscious for stepping on someone else's new gym shoes. With this being said, I'm definitely looking for a very nice area with low crime.

I'm looking to move over the summer so that my daughter can be in school by next school year and would like to know which of the three would be a good fit for us.

Thank you in advance for all your input and comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 06:09 PM

141 posts, read 504,696 times
Just a suggestion, but you might try posting this in the general Iowa section. Seems to be more traffic in there, and I know there are posters in there from that area.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:08 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
North Coralville may be a nice fit for you... lots of shopping, entertainment, and restaurants. It's also far enough away from the U of I campus that you wouldn't have too many partying neighbors. Most of the schools in the IC area are good, so that probably would not be a concern. North Liberty may be too far out for commuting. A 20 block radius of downtown IC is not good from a crime perspective. Of course, this is all subject to your budget. Will you be working? If so, that can also factor in as you may want to be close to work. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 AM

23 posts, read 42,518 times
What would $130 - 140K get me in Iowa City or Coralville ? I would just want a small house , basement , yard, safe. What area should I avoid in Iowa City ? Thank you

Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 AM

75 posts, read 177,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgome View Post
What would $130 - 140K get me in Iowa City or Coralville ? I would just want a small house , basement , yard, safe. What area should I avoid in Iowa City ? Thank you
$140k? Not much. zillow it
Personally, I will not live south of Hwy 6. But that's just me.
I want out of Iowa City after being raised here. It's a circus! My property taxes have risen over 6% per year to almost $5K . It feels like the city is trying to evict all the working class and CR is no better. Im looking for a place south of town now. It is a nice clean town, but expensive.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:

My daughter lived in North Coralville (behind the mall) for 6 years and loved it. Good bus connections and easy access to downtown, the interstate system, and the University.

She owned a zero lot side by side condo and sold it less than 3 years ago for under $ 150,000. It was a 3 bedroom, 2 bath layout with a single garage that would work for your family. I would seriously check into one of those for your family as they're affordable with minimum upkeep. There were quite a few of these in that area. I'm unsure what the market is for these today, but they are more affordable to purchase.

As mentioned, avoid anything south of Hwy. 6. The Iowa City powers that be are in the process of turning that into a ghetto. Even if it looks decent now, it's going to encroach into your area soon enough. Last time I was there, there was for sale signs all over the place with "price reduced" on them.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:53 AM

100 posts, read 103,440 times
Quote:
I did notice recently over on realtor that the market seems to have settled a bit on smaller places outside the downtown core. There were a number of options in the neighborhoods off Muscatine in the 100-150 range with small yards. That's not exactly a sought-after area, but it's safe and clean enough, if a bit gritty and blue collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City