Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 04:37 PM
duftb5cfg

n/a posts

Advertisements

I'm in the very early stages of deciding where to apply to graduate programs, and Iowa is on my long-list.

I would support myself at least in part through serving or bartending. I've got a great resume and am experienced in both casual and high-end dining.

Would Iowa City have many options for employment? I know it has a large college population, so I'm sure high-end places are fewer and farther between.

Basically, I'm wondering about both the amount of money one can walk with at the higher-end restaurants in town, and how easy or hard jobs are to find in those restaurants. Money-wise, I'm looking to make $200 or more fairly often. Through my career, I have worked in several cities, and the least I've averaged is about $900 weekly, take-home.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:51 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
The only 2 that I am aware of in IC that might be considered high end (at least by Iowa standards) are Blackstone and Iowa River Power. I'm sure there are more though. I used to live in Cedar Rapids, so did not eat down in IC too much. What is the availability of jobs, and earning potential, I have no idea. But there is a lot of money in IC, and if you have some high end experience, I would think you could find something that would pay fairly well.

Hopefully, someone else will have more knowledge than I. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 PM

100 posts, read 103,389 times
There are probably a dozen or so good-to-very-good restaurants in the Iowa City/Coralville area, with apps that run in the $10-20 range, and entrees that run $20-40. A couple steakhouses that'll feature a porterhouse up around $50.

Don't know if you feel like you can make your screed on that price list or not, but it's what this market supports on the high end.

Obviously, far more numerous options a notch lower on the economic totem pole. It is a college town, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City