Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,126 times

Advertisements

The title asks the question. Is their an equivalent of a grocery store for a health-conscious consumer in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area? For those who are familiar with Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's, is there anything like one of these stores in the area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 AM

267 posts, read 1,231,378 times
New Pioneer Co-Op is going to be your best bet. They have two locations: one at Washington & Van Buren in Iowa City and one on the Coralville Strip between 10th and 12th. Here's their website with more information: Home

Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Yeah, In Iowa City New-Pioneer is the leader. I think it's actually a step above Whole Foods and Trader Joe's (from going to those stores often in Chicago). New Pioneer is one of the oldest organic grocery stores in the country. Whole Foods/Trader Joe's are nice, but they get a little "dumbed down" because they've become such streamlined chains.

It's kinda natural New Pioneer would be near the top though - given Iowa is one of the leaders in food for our country. Most products are easily at hand.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,126 times
That's good to know, in the event that I relocate to the area ...

I am a fan of flaxseed (instead of potato) chips, soy (instead of cow milk) ice cream and green tea. As long as I can obtain these staples, I will be content.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,381 times
I recently moved to Iowa from the Southern California area. The New Pioneer may offer goods like Trader Joe's but they do not offer Store Brand goods like TJ's does and therefore their prices are substantially higher.
Maybe the scarcity of these healthy alternative stores out here suggest that there are less people interested in healthy alternatives in this part of the Country?
It always comes down to demand when competitiveness can affect prices. There are NO alternatives here so New Pioneer can ask top dollar for healthy alternatives. These high prices exclude many people from eating healthy because they are priced out of such choices.
HyVee has a healthy alternative section that is limited. I compare these two and buy at the one that wins the cost war!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,190,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomseeker7 View Post
I recently moved to Iowa from the Southern California area. The New Pioneer may offer goods like Trader Joe's but they do not offer Store Brand goods like TJ's does and therefore their prices are substantially higher.
Maybe the scarcity of these healthy alternative stores out here suggest that there are less people interested in healthy alternatives in this part of the Country?
It always comes down to demand when competitiveness can affect prices. There are NO alternatives here so New Pioneer can ask top dollar for healthy alternatives. These high prices exclude many people from eating healthy because they are priced out of such choices.
HyVee has a healthy alternative section that is limited. I compare these two and buy at the one that wins the cost war!
I am originally from Southern California. A lot of Iowans grow their own food and can for the winter. There is a Fresh Market in town but their food is not locally grown. In Iowa City, there is the Bread Garden on the Ped Mall. I like the Hy-Vee on Edgewood Road. It offers enough variety for me, but coming from California, I realize it's a shock. There are also many farmer's markets throughout the city during the week, with the main one downtown during the summer. NewBo may have more to offer in the winter time.

Last edited by smpliving; 10-30-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I am originally from Southern California. A lot of Iowans grow their own food and can for the winter. There is a Fresh Market in town but their food is not locally grown. In Iowa City, there is the Bread Garden on the Ped Mall. I like the Hy-Vee on Edgewood Road. It offers enough variety for me, but coming from California, I realize it's a shock. There are also many farmer's markets throughout the city during the week, with the main one downtown during the summer. NewBo may have more to offer in the winter time.
They do?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
They do?
Let me rephrase that ... yes, many that I know do.

Last edited by smpliving; 10-30-2015 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Let me rephrase that ... yes, many that I know do.

I was just questioning since I lived in Iowa 40 years and never knew anyone who did! Not a soul!

Old 10-30-2015, 10:41 AM

wow ... I know plenty with their gardens or the city garden if they don't have their own backyard or land. I'm surprised at how many actually do canning, including some men. I actually started growing my own tomatoes (easy), lettuce, and peppers when I had a yard ... something I never dreamed of doing in CA. I guess it's not as widespread in Iowa as I thought it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City