U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,837 times

Advertisements

I lived in apartment with my 2 roommates and I moved out last year. Actually, I didn't live there for a long time, but I paid the rent until the contract ended on July,2016. I am the deposit holder. My 2 roommates signed the new contract 2017 on November 2015. They thought I would continue living there, so they told Apartment Downtown I would come to sign the contract too. On December, I went to Apartment Downtown and told them I wanted to move out next year and asked them when can I change the deposit. My original plan with my 2 roommates was, they gave Apartment Downtown a new deposit, and I got my deposit back from Apartment Downtown. My roommates agreed with that. The male employee told me I can only change deposit after my contract ends which is after July 2016.

Then I came back on August 2016 and asked them to change deposit. Another female employee said no again. She said the only time I can change deposit is when the house was on lease which was nearly November and December. Two employees said different things to me and they refused to do anything to help me change the deposit at first. I made an appointment with university legal service and they called apartment downtown over 40 mins on September. A female employee called Megan finally agree to meet with us to see what choice do I have. However, my two roommates don't want to cooperate with me anymore, because they realize that they don't want to spend time finding sublease after they graduate, which means Apartment will send somebody to inspect the house and deduct all the deposit. If I get my 1200$ deposit back, they have to give a new deposit to Apartment Downtown. They will propably lose all the deposit after Apartment inspect the house. So they want me to split 1/3 deposit.

Now I changed my mind and I told Apartment Downtown to terminate the contract, becasue I didn't sign it and the contract still has my name on it. I want Apartment signed a new contract with my roommates and give back my depoist. I made over 5 phone calls to negotiate with them. But Apartment Downtown still only offers me one choice. They said "My roommates and I must go to see Megan on Wednesday 10 a.m or its end of the conversation." My roommates have classes on that time and to be honest, they don't want to go.

I believe I didn't sign the contract, the contract is totally illegal right now and it's not my responsibility to gather my roommates to see them. They can't just offer me only one choice. All I want is to let them to inform my roommates to sign a new contract with them, and gave back my deposit.

I'm so desappointed about Apartment Downtown and my roommates, they just want to take advantage of students like me. I don't know where I should find help. Its been over 6 months and the problem still unsolved. Im also considering if I should sue them to small claim court.

Thanks for reading my story and I'm really appreciate that you can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,433,284 times
I am sorry. I read your post but I am not sure I understand it exactly.

You lived in an apartment with 2 roommates. You each paid 1/3rd of the deposit. You moved out before the end of the lease but continued to pay rent ... why? And for how long? Did your roommates look for someone else to take your place?

I am gathering the original lease expired and since you were not there, the roommates signed another lease, with your name on it but not your permission to do so? You have moved everything you have out of the apartment and gone to live somewhere else? Why would they think you were coming back and/or wanted to continue to be on the lease with them? Did you not make it clear you were not coming back? Did you leave your stuff in your room and not return to pick it up?

The amount of the deposit you feel you are owed is $1200? or only 1/3rd of that? (in other words, $400?)

If you have nothing in the apartment at all and live somewhere else completely, then ask for your name to be taken off the new lease (and of course, do not sign it). I suspect you may not get your damage deposit back however so I hope it was only $400.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,837 times
Hi,

My lease ended on August 2016, but I seldom went back. I paid the rent until my lease end which was August 2016. My 2 roommates signed the 2017 contract on November 2016 and they thought I would continue living there. After few days, I went to Apartment Downtown, I told them I wouldnt live there and didn't sign the contract 2017. The employee offered me wrong information about the deposit problem. I was living in living room, so on May 2016, I asked my roommates if its fine only 2 of them live together. They said "no problem". So I didnt find another new roommate. Now they changed their mind, they believe I need to pay 1/3 of the deposit even though I have already moved out.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:30 AM

4,919 posts, read 5,761,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaye View Post
Hi,

My lease ended on August 2016, but I seldom went back. I paid the rent until my lease end which was August 2016. My 2 roommates signed the 2017 contract on November 2016 and they thought I would continue living there. After few days, I went to Apartment Downtown, I told them I wouldnt live there and didn't sign the contract 2017. The employee offered me wrong information about the deposit problem. I was living in living room, so on May 2016, I asked my roommates if its fine only 2 of them live together. They said "no problem". So I didnt find another new roommate. Now they changed their mind, they believe I need to pay 1/3 of the deposit even though I have already moved out.
There is no way you're responsible for anything after your initial lease expired.
You didn't sign the 2nd lease.. you've washed your hands of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or