U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM

17 posts, read 47,669 times

Advertisements

What male student DOESN'T own a hat from their college? Way to generalize. DMB is not that popular here, but yes many are from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,709,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1113 View Post
What male student DOESN'T own a hat from their college? Way to generalize..

Is it just me or is this kind of funny?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM

149 posts, read 626,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1113 View Post
What male student DOESN'T own a hat from their college? Way to generalize. DMB is not that popular here, but yes many are from Chicago.
Yes but there are many styles of caps, not every U of I cap is white and has "The University of Iowa" spelled out across the front of it. If some of them had different hats...you know maybe some that were black, or gold, or maybe with the Hawkeyes logo on them or something rather than just the name of the university, then I wouldn't have any reason to generalize. Besides, white isn't even one of the school colors! I mean seriously...what is with those caps?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM

310 posts, read 1,180,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Is it just me or is this kind of funny?
oh its very funny. I love it when people counter a generalization with a generalization. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, especially on crappy rainy days such as today.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,229,700 times
The white cap with the IOWA on it is a hat that every major university has. They are all white, with the name of ____ on it. ISU, Bama, OSU, USC, the ridiculous "*****" hat of SC, etc. It's a generic hat that the company makes. They also sell them in black and gold for Iowa

Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 PM

114 posts, read 450,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRole View Post
WARNING: DO not then decide to go outside of IOWA CITY and venture into other Iowa towns....i.e., Des Moines. It is not the same.
Yes but if you venture out, you get good ole Iowa air, meet really strange people and learn a lot. I Highly recommend a road tripping.

Also, if you happen to be at the Picador on an 'off' night (tues or wed), you might get to see a major musician. That's how I saw BB King and Eric Clapton play TOGETHER!!. Also saw 3 doors down, nirvana, areosmith AND Willie Nelson.

Ok I am now going to talk up IC :

Good schools
a world class medical center
world renowned departments (ie, Iowa Writer's Work Shop)
A laid back atmosphere
BEAUTIFUL campus and a gorgeous town (even after the tornado of 06)
People from all over
very eclectic
mostly honest people that will return a $5 bill if you drop it
safe (mostly)
awesome academics
if you have a quirky passion or a weird fetish, you will probably find a group that share the same thing

a few drawbacks though

too many bars
a few 'bad' neighborhoods
cops that have more important things to do that arrest a bunch of college kids while walking home
kind of unsafe at night walk in a group

that's about it. i came here to go to school and I stayed. I love Iowa City because where else can you go see a World Class Museum, go see a Division 1 Athletic event and a Broadway show opening in 1 day and your kids get a great education and all the benefits of living in a college town in Iowa?

Mr Cali, I have talked to many people who have lived in Cali and they say that would rather live here for 2 reasons, it's cheaper and the air quality is so much better, you can take a deep breath and not cough I hope you enjoy Iowa and Iowa City ( and be prepared for the cold(LOL)

Old 04-11-2008, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 14,159 times
Talking Superior?

My family and I have lived in Southern California for most of our lives and we can't wait to get out! I suppose California is superior if you consider smog, illegal aliens, crime and a ridiculous cost of living to be "superior". This is my first post although I've been a member for some time. I suspect that once he gets used to breathing clean air and talking to friendly people he'll never want to go back! We look forward to getting out of here as soon as we can!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,047,159 times
Or, at least, more constructive responses.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:35 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,709,175 times
Timely ones, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or