U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 AM

13,051 posts, read 16,104,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

I don't understand why you're arguing against something that can help people.

I've had shingles - I KNOW what I'm talking about. You better believe I'll get the vaccine so I won't get shingles again and if you had an ounce of sense, you'd get the chickenpox or shingles vaccine as well

You anti-vaxxers just get your information from YouTube.
That "something" has also DAMAGED or KILLED a LOT of people, a lot of infants and children.

Having had shingles doesn't give you the OK to be insulting to those who think differently than you do.

Where do YOU get your info from?

If an "ounce of sense" means I have to think like you......forget it.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 AM

10,901 posts, read 6,378,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Sure. Choose to drive drunk or get too many violation points on your license and you’ve chosen other actions over the right to drive. Commit a felony and you’ve chosen not to vote (and probably to go to prison).

Laws are added or changed all the time. 18 used to be the legal drinking age. One day a 19 year old could legally drink and the next day they couldn’t. The definition of “drunk” has also changed with many states lowering the threshold where a person can be arrested for drunk driving. Not to mention we’re all going to have to get the new Real ID licenses if we want to get on a plane in a few years.
So you’d be in favor of no exemptions for every single vaccine that the government reccomends currently and in the future? No exceptions?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM

13,051 posts, read 16,104,079 times
Quote:
Sure. Choose to drive drunk or get too many violation points on your license and you’ve chosen other actions over the right to drive. Commit a felony and you’ve chosen not to vote (and probably to go to prison).

Laws are added or changed all the time. 18 used to be the legal drinking age. One day a 19 year old could legally drink and the next day they couldn’t. The definition of “drunk” has also changed with many states lowering the threshold where a person can be arrested for drunk driving. Not to mention we’re all going to have to get the new Real ID licenses if we want to get on a plane in a few years.
What you choose to do AFTER you have a license is different...
What you do AFTER you have the right to vote is different....your choice.
Not the same at all.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 AM

7,322 posts, read 4,969,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
So you’d be in favor of no exemptions for every single vaccine that the government reccomends currently and in the future? No exceptions?
Medically indicated waivers should always be available. Of course, doctors like the geriatric doctor in California who sold medical waivers to patients he never saw should be prosecuted and if found guilty should lose their medical license.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
What you choose to do AFTER you have a license is different...
What you do AFTER you have the right to vote is different....your choice.
Not the same at all.
The law is changing for those who already have licenses. They will be forced to get a Real ID license. It’s the same. Laws change. Deal with it.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Medically indicated waivers should always be available. Of course, doctors like the geriatric doctor in California who sold medical waivers to patients he never saw should be prosecuted and if found guilty should lose their medical license.
So that’s a yes to any and all vaccines? No one has a right to weigh their own risks and make decsions about their health unless they have a medical waiver if you were in charge? What a dangerous road to go down. So short sighted.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Then why was measles declared eradicated from the US in 2000 when we had a 97% inoculation rate?

California''s tightened rules pay off against measles (dated today, by the way)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...les/ar-AABfHAi

I don't understand why you're arguing against something that can help people. Why does it have to be all or nothing? Sure people die from other things, but would you advocate not using seat belts because seat belts don't save everyone who's in a car crash? What if this wasn't measles or mumps or whooping cough? What if it were something more serious, like polio or small pox? One in three people who got smallpox died and it's scary to think if anti-vaxxers were around then, we never would have eliminated it.

I've had shingles - I KNOW what I'm talking about. You better believe I'll get the vaccine so I won't get shingles again and if you had an ounce of sense, you'd get the chickenpox or shingles vaccine as well.

What do you know about having painful, red, running sores over half your face, up into your hairline, and on your eyelids, causing you to lose two weeks of work? What do you know about worrying about a shingle sore that just might land on your otic nerve, causing damage to your eyesight? What do you know about experiencing pain so sharp and sudden on your face that you have to pull over to the side of the road while driving? What do you know about having permanent nerve damage and pain from shingles for the rest of your life?

I know about that. You anti-vaxxers just get your information from YouTube.
Measles was declared eliminated, it’s never been declared eradicated.

Did you know that CO had just one case of measles that never spread to anyone else in spite of the fact that all three exemptions are allowed?

Are you aware that anyone who has had either the chicken pox vaccine or chicken pox can get shingles?

Where do you get YOUR information? It’s not very accurate.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
So that’s a yes to any and all vaccines? No one has a right to weigh their own risks and make decsions about their health unless they have a medical waiver if you were in charge? What a dangerous road to go down. So short sighted.
I’d favor requiring for daycare, public school, college only those that can be transmitted via casual contact. If people want their kids potentially exposed to HPV and the cancers it causes, that’s their business. If they want to potentially expose mine to measles then it becomes my business.

Washington state just removed personal exemptions for the MMR. I think we’ll see more of this type of legislation. Especially given the number of measles cases continues to climb. It’s up to 839 cases with 75 new cases last week.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I’d favor requiring for daycare, public school, college only those that can be transmitted via casual contact. If people want their kids potentially exposed to HPV and the cancers it causes, that’s their business. If they want to potentially expose mine to measles then it becomes my business.

Washington state just removed personal exemptions for the MMR. I think we’ll see more of this type of legislation. Especially given the number of measles cases continues to climb. It’s up to 839 cases with 75 new cases last week.
So when the vaccine to prevent colds comes out, you’ll favor school mandates for it? Either get the vaccine to prevent getting a cold or forgo school?

Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
So when the vaccine to prevent colds comes out, you’ll favor school mandates for it? Either get the vaccine to prevent getting a cold or forgo school?
The “common” cold that causes a runny nose and sometimes low grade fever? No. The AD14 cold virus that kills 5% of those infected? Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City