U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM

7,130 posts, read 3,961,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can pay drug companies for vaccines or you can pay them for drugs to treat vaccine preventable diseases and their complications. The companies would make more treating the diseases than they do on vaccines. Then there are the other costs associated with treatment, including hospital and physician charges and lost wages and productivity.

Vaccines save money for the health care system overall.
I will give you that the Pharms make a lot of money on OTC $7 a bottle Cold and Flu medications. Do you seriously think everyone at the first signs of sneezing and coughing people just RUN to doctors? Much costs more? Nyquil or Tamiful?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:17 PM

10,901 posts, read 6,363,113 times
Quote:
You can pay drug companies for vaccines or you can pay them for drugs to treat vaccine preventable diseases and their complications. The companies would make more treating the diseases than they do on vaccines. Then there are the other costs associated with treatment, including hospital and physician charges and lost wages and productivity.

Vaccines save money for the health care system overall.
You mean the cost of breastmilk or things like Recharge for rotavirus? Or pap smears for HPV? Or elderberry for the flu? I know for sure we didn’t visit the doctor any of the times we’ve had the flu, norovirus, colds, diarrhea, food poisoning, etc. nor when I had chicken pox. No big money involved in our treatment I guess.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM

25,158 posts, read 30,047,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
m

Key word there is barn. Same as that boy who caught tetanus on the family farm. How many people get tetanus from getting cut with their kitchen knives or PAPER CUTS?
You could go walking anywhere in the world and step on a nail and get a puncture wound - even through your shoe.

You could be in an automobile accident and receive extensive lacerations or open fractures which could be contaminated with tetanus bacteria.

You want to accept the risk of tetanus, have at it, but it is not a pleasant way to die.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I will give you that the Pharms make a lot of money on OTC $7 a bottle Cold and Flu medications. Do you seriously think everyone at the first signs of sneezing and coughing people just RUN to doctors? Much costs more? Nyquil or Tamiful?
One in four with measles gets hospitalized. Cost, just to control outbreaks?

Measles Outbreak 2019: Cost of Measles Vaccine, Treatment | Money

"Minnesota officials said that the measles outbreak of 2017 cost the state at least $1 million, while Washington state said that it spent over $1 million dealing with measles just in the first two months of 2019. The costs are much higher for measles outbreaks on a national scale: Researchers say that the 2011 outbreak, when there were 16 separate outbreaks and 107 confirmed cases of measles, cost state and local health institutions somewhere between $2.7 million to $5.3 million."
"If we were to extrapolate using that figure, the 704 cases of measles currently confirmed in the U.S. would be costing our health institutions over $35 million. Even if that’s an overestimate, it would seem like the measles outbreak of 2019 will easily cost the U.S. tens of millions of dollars."

Influenza last year?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2017–2018 season was also high with an estimated 48.8 million people getting sick with influenza, 22.7 million people going to a health care provider, 959,000 hospitalizations, and 79,400 deaths from influenza."

Cost?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...you-2018-01-09

"The annual direct cost for hospitalizations and outpatient visits is an estimated $10.4 billion."

That does not include costs for lost wages and decreased productivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You mean the cost of breastmilk or things like Recharge for rotavirus? Or pap smears for HPV? Or elderberry for the flu? I know for sure we didn’t visit the doctor any of the times we’ve had the flu, norovirus, colds, diarrhea, food poisoning, etc. nor when I had chicken pox. No big money involved in our treatment I guess.
Pap smears for HPV? How does a Pap help prevent throat cancer ... in a man?

I also asked you to comment on this post and you never did. Perhaps you will now? Any idea how much the treatment for stage IIB cervical cancer cost in dollars, just ignoring the associated misery involved?

//www.city-data.com/forum/55034057-post47.html

"I sure wish the vaccine existed so that I wouldn't have been diagnosed with stage IIB cervical cancer in 2002 which is termed advanced. After several weeks of chemo, 55 radiation treatments at the same time as chemo, and then a radiation implant where I had to lay in one position for 4 days straight in the hospital, I have ended up okay. Now, I am at risk of complications from living so long and having had so much radiation-bladder and bowel blockages and not being able to hold urine, I am so glad and fortunate that the medical community was there to help me, including the drug industry. I am alive, work full-time, and am a positive contributor to society.

BTW, don't tell me either that it was my own fault. I had gyn exams and pap smears regularly. It was probably because no thin-prep pap smear existed then. Another upgrade from old school pap smears may have caught things much earlier."

Rotavirus?

"During the pre-rotavirus vaccine era, it was estimated that 410,000 physician visits; 205-272,000 ED visits; and 55,000–70,000 hospitalizations were attributable to rotavirus infections in U.S. children, costing approximately $1 billion annually."

Chickenpox?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...varicella.html

"Varicella Complications
Bacterial infection of skin lesions
Pneumonia (viral or bacterial)
Central nervous system manifestations
Reye syndrome
Hospitalization: 2-3 per 1,000 cases (children)
Death: 1 per 60,000 cases"

You will say, "Meh, only one in sixty thousand die," ignoring the meningitis, encephalitis, and skin infections with strep (the "flesh eating" type) that do not result in death.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...varicella.html

Chickenpox costs?

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/969773-overview

"Before vaccination for varicella became widespread in the United States, this disease affected approximately 4 million children per year, caused as many as 100 deaths in children annually, and was responsible for an estimated $400 million in medical costs and lost wages each year."

See the reply above for influenza.

Treating those conditions sucks up health care dollars.

There is no vaccine for norovirus ... yet. Most people who have had it would love to have a vaccine for it.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You could go walking anywhere in the world and step on a nail and get a puncture wound - even through your shoe.

You could be in an automobile accident and receive extensive lacerations or open fractures which could be contaminated with tetanus bacteria.

You want to accept the risk of tetanus, have at it, but it is not a pleasant way to die.
I already have stepped on a rusty nail which imbeded in my foot in a local cemetery doing genealogy. Pulled it out myself and put peroixide on it. This was 40 years ago. 30 years ago my kids opened my screen door and ripped off my big toenail. Took care of it myself. Forget cutting myself around the house all these decades, and working in school kitchens.

Remember something. you are not talking to a very young person. I'm 70 and have had a LIFETIME of experiences with all these diseases, and accidents. Pure LUCK living this long without you medical professionals and your vaccines, and drugs?

Edit: I fully understand why you are pushing Tetanus vax. It is because it now is a Tdap with Pertussis. You need to increase the Pertussis boosters in the adult population. Sorry, don't want either. MY Exemption is NO.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Pure LUCK ?
YES.

We all know how special you are.

Not everyone is so LUCKY.

P.S. Did you have the OLD FASHIONED DPT series when you were a child?

Old 05-14-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
YES.

We all know how special you are.

Not everyone is so LUCKY.

P.S. Did you have the OLD FASHIONED DPT series when you were a child?
No, not just ME. There are 15 Million of us alive today who survived all these "deadly diseases". Yes, the last was when I was 4 in 1952. NOTHING since then.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
No, not just ME. There are 15 Million of us alive today who survived all these "deadly diseases". Yes, the last was when I was 4 in 1952. NOTHING since then.
There are millions dead who did not survive them.

You may still be protected by your childhood tetanus vaccine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4826453/

"The data provided in this study indicate that adult booster vaccination with Td every 10 years may no longer be necessary to maintain protective immunity. Others have questioned the decennial vaccination schedule [32, 34, 35], and countries such as the United Kingdom do not vaccinate adults after they have received their childhood vaccination series"

Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM

517 posts, read 320,026 times
Quote:
Sorry, total logic fail. Lots of people are alive today who never wore a seatbelt as a kid. My parents and husband included. Doesn't mean I'm not going to strap my kids in their seatbelts/car seats/booster seats or whatever is recommended for safety reasons every single time we get in the car. We don't get to hear the point of view from those who weren't so lucky back then.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 AM

5,610 posts, read 3,052,444 times
I have to laugh at some of the comments here. So you don't like Big Pharma? Then what are you going to do if you have to go into the hospital and be treated? Refuse all medications and medical procedures? When I had my aneurysm, I brought home drugs by the cartload. I had to take two pills every 4 hours for 21 days. Did I let my feelings about Big Pharma get in the way of taking life-saving drugs? No. And you won't either.

Whatever you people say and think, if you have to go into a hospital and use the things they use to get you healthy again, like saline drips, needles, medications, etc, you'll use them and use them gladly. You can post here all you want about not getting vaccines, but the bottom line is if your life is in danger, you will accept the treatments the doctors give you. Nobody goes into a hospital and makes their hatred of Big Pharma the hill on which they want to die.

In the case of the boy who got tetanus and ran up an $800,000 bill for his parents, guess what was included in his treatment? A tetanus vaccination.

But hey, don't let me stand in your way of throwing your money out the window. If you people would prefer to spend months in the hospital and $800,000 on treatment that includes a vaccination that would have cost $20 originally and prevented all that, by all means, feel free to toss your money out. Damn, I wish I had almost a million dollars to flush down the toilet in order to support my stupidity.

----------------------------------------------------------

Jo, you remind me a lot of the people who had supporting parents, a decent school, and the wherewithal to pay for college which precedes a good job with good pay and the ability to sock away money for retirement, after which they look at someone being raised by a single mom in a ghetto high school who couldn't afford college and now works at a McDonald's and then says, "I managed to get a college degree and a good job. If everyone else can't, there must be something wrong with them."

Um, just no. There's nothing wrong with those people. They just didn't have the luck to be born into the same circumstances. That's what it mostly boils down to, is luck.

Jo, you've been lucky. But your luck may run out one day. Tell me something, do you make sure you thoroughly cook your hamburger and chicken and wash your hands well after handling raw meat? Do you believe that salmonella and e. coli exist? Or do you think they're a fantasy dreamed up by the government to fool people into buying say, more soap, for instance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City