Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 01:25 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That’s a pretty small number of people. Some of the people who have been injured by vaccines are in the group of “can’t get vaccinated” and I highly doubt that group would favor eliminating vaccine exemptions.
The group that have true adverse reactions to vaccines are about one in a million vaccinees. Since they qualify for medical exemptions why would they care about religious or philosophical exemptions?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:55 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Probably the same reason why medical rejects care about conscientious objectors who avoid military service.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
If that is the case then why worry about those who don’t have them?
You are deliberately obtuse and you know it. I don't how many times someone has explained to you that no vaccine is a 100% effective. Because no vaccine is 100% effective, taking it maybe a 90%, 95%, or even a 97% guarantee you won't get a disease. However its not a 100% guarantee. In fact, with whooping cough because the vaccine is less effective than others taking the vaccine is maybe only 80% effective. However, when we can get everyone to take the vaccine, the fact that the vaccine is not effective with a small percentage of the population becomes less important or unimportant.

Its why the herd immunity created by mass vaccination is necessary. But, you know that. You just keep asking the same question over and over again, don't you?

Anyway, those of us who understand vaccination and herd immunity get it. You get it too. You just pretend you don't.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You are deliberately obtuse and you know it. I don't how many times someone has explained to you that no vaccine is a 100% effective. Because no vaccine is 100% effective, taking it maybe a 90%, 95%, or even a 97% guarantee you won't get a disease. However its not a 100% guarantee. In fact, with whooping cough because the vaccine is less effective than others taking the vaccine is maybe only 80% effective. However, when we can get everyone to take the vaccine, the fact that the vaccine is not effective with a small percentage of the population becomes less important or unimportant.

Its why the herd immunity created by mass vaccination is necessary. But, you know that. You just keep asking the same question over and over again, don't you?

Anyway, those of us who understand vaccination and herd immunity get it. You get it too. You just pretend you don't.

Of course I know that vaccines are not 100% effective. Take that up with the vaccine makers rather then trying to shove vaccines down everyone’s throat.

There are several problems with the pertussis vaccine that lead to continued outbreaks of whooping cough that have nothing to do with “anti-vaxxers’. You cannot have herd immunity (even if herd immunity was a proven concept and not just a theory) with the whooping cough vaccine. It’s impossible.

Herd immunity based on vaccine induced immunity remains theoretical. I’m sure you know that though, right?

Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Of course I know that vaccines are not 100% effective. Take that up with the vaccine makers rather then trying to shove vaccines down everyone’s throat.

There are several problems with the pertussis vaccine that lead to continued outbreaks of whooping cough that have nothing to do with “anti-vaxxers’. You cannot have herd immunity (even if herd immunity was a proven concept and not just a theory) with the whooping cough vaccine. It’s impossible.

Herd immunity based on vaccine induced immunity remains theoretical. I’m sure you know that though, right?
Yes. Herd immunity is an "unproven theory".

That "unproven theory" is how we eradicated small pox and have almost eradicated polio.

Honestly, how could a rational person draw any other conclusion than it is a proven theory?

Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yes. Herd immunity is an "unproven theory".

That "unproven theory" is how we eradicated small pox and have almost eradicated polio.

Honestly, how could a rational person draw any other conclusion than it is a proven theory?
You really should spend some time reading up on herd immunity sometime. You might be surprised. But since you believe that it’s true based on observation without ever having actually been proven then I’m sure you’d give the same benefit of the doubt to moms who have watched their healthy babies die or regress into autism post vaccination. Right?

Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
You really should spend some time reading up on herd immunity sometime. You might be surprised. But since you believe that it’s true based on observation without ever having actually been proven then I’m sure you’d give the same benefit of the doubt to moms who have watched their healthy babies die or regress into autism post vaccination. Right?
Oh I have. Here's an excellent article for you that makes my point better than I do. I'd encourage you particularly to read the first part about eradicating small pox.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171704/

Old 05-21-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:

You do not have to vaccinate if you do not want to. However, if you refuse the Tdap please stay away from other people's children, especially infants.

Herd immunity is not just a "theory". It incorporates those immune by virtue of having the disease and those immune by virtue of vaccination. It is a fact supported by science, and it does exist with the acellular pertussis (aP) vaccine. I posted this link before. I assume you chose not to read it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3932918/

"Similar epidemiological evidence exists for aP. In Sweden, following a 17-y hiatus in vaccination, the 1996 introduction of aP prompted a 10-fold drop in the number of reported cases. The drop was pronounced in infants too young to be vaccinated (Fig. 1A), itself a clear indication of herd immunity. Moreover, Rohani et al. were able to show that careful accounting for age differences in contact rates was sufficient to explain the full pattern of age-specific incidence, under the assumption that vaccination blocks both infection and transmission (4)."

Herd immunity from pertussis vaccine is real, not impossible at all.

You may choose to use Tetyana Obukhanych as your source for information if you wish, but despite her PhD she has not got a clue about immunology, vaccines, or herd immunity.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It has been proven. You just choose not to believe it.

Vaccines do not cause autism. There is no evidence to support that claim, and there is mounting evidence that autism is genetic. It is difficult for scientifically unsophisticated people to understand that just because event A precedes event B does not mean A causes B, and, unfortunately there are a lot of such people in the US.

The risk of death after a vaccine is so small that it is virtually impossible to estimate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599698/

Old 06-04-2019, 01:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm not worried about the ones who CHOOSE not to get them. If they die of a preventable disease it gets their stupid ass out of the gene pool. However, I do worry for the ones who legitimately CAN'T get vaccinated. Big difference.
what a crock...do you worry at all about the children permanently damaged from vaccines too?...they are far more than the children who are compromised and can't have a vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City