Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times

Advertisements

Iowa fans' 'Wave' connects with Chicagoan, others at children's hospital - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:43 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
I absolutely love this new tradition. It's a keeper.

Also, great foresight on the University building the children's hospital in such a way that it overlooks Kinnick Stadium.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:32 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
Default The Wave

At night, this is cool

'The Wave' at night: New tradition lights up Kinnick Stadium

(This thread should be moved to the Iowa City forum where Kinnick Stadium is located).

Old 10-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
At night, this is cool

'The Wave' at night: New tradition lights up Kinnick Stadium

(This thread should be moved to the Iowa City forum where Kinnick Stadium is located).
Any attention they can give to the kids & their families is wonderful. I recall being a 7-yr old in the hospital for 1-mo, having no visitors, not even family, save for a very young nurse, who'd let me sit with her for a bit to watch TV after dark. She'd also let me visit the babies, who were in incubators... I was the only non-infant in the ward. 40-yrs later, I still recall her kindness, attention & her face. Letting a child know they matter is healing.

If you feel so inclined to contact a mod to have the thread moved, feel free.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrandomcoolguy89 View Post
Now that's something good to read this new tradition for the win!
Isn't it wonderful!? Love it! In a world of crazy news, it's so lovely to see that the majority of us aren't anything like anyone who appears on the nightly news. And, the pics of the kids waving to other kids... chokes me up every time.

I've driven through IA/IN/IL/ID a number of times & always loved the kindness of the people. Not kidding, I've had men in their upper 80s hold doors for me. Warms my heart.

Beautiful gesture & I hope it spreads. A sports field doesn't need to be built next to a hospital in order for team members to take a moment to wave to local kids on TV. It's a missed opportunity if they don't.

Call me a Pollyanna, but I really do believe there are far more good people than bad. We don't know about it, cuz the good people are home, enjoying life, with their families & friends.

Cheers for your comment TRCG.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:32 PM

576 posts, read 830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Isn't it wonderful!? Love it! In a world of crazy news, it's so lovely to see that the majority of us aren't anything like anyone who appears on the nightly news.

Call me a Pollyanna, but I really do believe there are far more good people than bad. We don't know about it, cuz the good people are home, enjoying life, with their families & friends.

Cheers for your comment TRCG.
You hit the nail on the head! There ARE many, many, many more good people than bad, but there is no ratings in showing heart warming stories on the evening blues. There have been studies that show that negative stories stir a stronger emotional response in people than positive stories. People are more likely to watch the news if they have a strong emotional response from it, so the media focuses on the negatives, because that drives ratings. It's actually kind of a sick process that the media is only partially to blame for - the rest of the blame lies with us in not being willing to shut it off (I did years ago, and I love it! Ignorance truly is bliss!).

But to your original point, the new tradition at Kinnick is a great reminder that goodness still exists! What a thrill for those kids! They sure need and deserve it! Thanks for the post!

Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
... TV... being willing to shut it off (I did years ago, and I love it! Ignorance truly is bliss!).
Understood. I haven't watched TV for 30-yrs. In fact, I haven't owned a TV in all that time. We still can't escape it, since gossip & news are all over the 'net, radio & on rags in the grocery store lines. Long after the Sopranos were over, I bought the DVD set & watched it. Same with Deadwood & a few British series. That's quite enough for me. I've no desire to watch Game of Thrones, CNN or hokey morning shows. If it's important for me to know, I'll see it being projected online.

I recall perhaps 25-yrs ago, they tried to start a good news only channel & it quickly failed. So, yes, the worst always gets more attention, no matter the subject. It's good to remember that wonderful things by wonderful people are being done daily.

Have a great ending to your week, Dewey.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Default Wave T-shirt fund raiser

Iowa Hawkeye wave sparks wardrobe movement | KGAN

More than 6,200 shirts have been sold since the online story launched on Sunday.

The goal of the shirt is two-fold: 1) show support for kids at UISFCH and 2) raise money for the hospital itself.
All of the proceeds from the shirt sales will go directly to UISFCH.

University of Iowa graduate Brooke Mickelson is one of many joining the movement to spread awareness about the wave, transforming the Saturday gesture into a shirt of solidarity.
Mickelson, along with husband John, and two other families (the Phillips family and the Willis family), collaborated to create the Iowa Wave shirt.
All three families wanted to show their support for the children's hospital and its patients.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
More than 6,200 shirts have been sold since the online story launched on Sunday. The goal of the shirt is two-fold: 1) show support for kids at UISFCH and 2) raise money for the hospital itself. All of the proceeds from the shirt sales will go directly to UISFCH.
Beautiful!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Default SNOW WAVE drawn at Kinnick Stadium

The Wave continues even in winter for the children at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics

http://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/kinni...e-sign-in-snow

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Sno...474184423.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of: