U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:52 PM

216 posts, read 761,421 times

Advertisements

Maybe some of you have some advice that I can use.

My daughter will be new to Iowa City this fall; she's entering U/Iowa for a grad degree.
Her program is near west side of campus and she'd like a 1 bedroom (no roommates) on/near the bus route for that area.
Currently, shes living in AZ, and in her area you only find an apartment right before you want to move in. Landlords all do it that way.
Is that how it goes in Iowa City, or should she be looking way in advance like she did when she was in college in upstate NY? You had to have a rental by February or so for the following fall semester.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM

681 posts, read 2,810,184 times
Iowa City trends more toward the latter, I'm afraid. Most apartments are probably already spoken for by this point, and certainly the best ones are.

There is still a lot of turnover though, and as a grad student, your daughter probably isn't in the typical "student slum" market. If I were her/you I would start looking right away. Since she's on the west side (my guess is arts/medical?) you might want to look in University Heights and Coralville for starters, since they're often quieter and cheaper.

Please let us know how her search goes!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,239,498 times
I agree...when I was in college, we signed leases months and months in advance for the following fall semester. Given that it's April, I would imagine most places are rented out. Not to say that you can't find one though. I remember there were a couple large companies that rented out almost everything in town (a go-between company, I guess) although I can't remember the name.

I also agree that if she's a grad student, she won't want to live around campus in the typical crowded areas. A lot of grad students live a bit off campus and comuute everyday. Those type of apartments, further out, might be more likely to still have openings.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Re: rental for grad student

Thanks for all the advice. It seems there is not much left to look at in either Coralville or Iowa City. My daughter made loads of calls; she has an extra problem in that she has a small dog. The area does not seem to be dog friendly, in that most landlords won't rent to you if you will have a dog, even though hers is 13lbs.

She cannot leave AZ until mid may due to school details in Tucson, by which time there might not be anything left to look at, so I'm competing for the MOTHER OF THE YEAR award.

How you ask?

I'm taking some time and flying out there on Wednesday morning. I have appointments to look at a bunch of rentals over two days. Then I'll fly back to NY on Friday.

Hey, someone has to do it!! Will update when I return.

Thanks,

marilyn

Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 PM

120 posts, read 278,035 times
Default In my experience, as someone who

often did city tours and helped find apartments for new incoming grad students for my department, many landlords do NOT advertise in the newspaper. Many small landlords just put a sign out on their lawn. My suggestion would be to go for a drive through the north and east sides of town (both of which are out of the immediate undergrad student areas.

While the other posters are absolutely correct in saying that most apts are rented out early (March/April or thereabouts), I have known grad students who found very nice apartments at the very last minute in August. How? By driving around the city looking for signs.

I do agree that your daughter will want to get out of the immediate downtown/student-y area. Don't overlook Coralville, which sometimes has cheaper rents.

About the dog: my advice is to offer a pet deposit up front. and make sure potential landlords know that she is a GRADUATE student (big difference from an undergrad...) While many landlords do NOT allow dogs, many do. I do know from personal experience that Heritage (a management company) allows pets in their apartments. They are also one of the more 'honorable' management companies. I am NOT affiliated with them, but I did rent from them for 3 months when I first moved to IC.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar1lyn27 View Post
I'm competing for the MOTHER OF THE YEAR award.
You are officially nominated. I think you're a shoe-in, personally!

Best wishes in your search. While you're in town, have some fun! Check out downtown. Any particular shopping/hobby things you're into? The Hounds Tooth in Coralville has both gourmet food items, lovely gifts and souvenirs you actually like and use, as well as a gift for the 13 pounds grand-dog!

It looks like we have kind of sucky weather for you -- sorry! Raincoat, tiny/handy umbrella, waterproof shoes, warm stuff will be in order. Have you got a GPS unit or can you rent a car that has one? That would be a great help in getting between the addresses.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 AM

I agree! Please let us know how your search turns out, I'd be very interested to hear what you thought of Iowa City.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Default Re: rental for grad student

Thanks for all the great great ideas.
I leave at 6am (shoot me now); I'm so not a morning person.
I'm looking forward to it; will let you know how I fare.

One more question: I'll be alone, don't want to spend major money, but would like to know where to grab meals that are decent; no fast food for me. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm upping my competition to MOTHER OF THE CENTURY!!

Marilyn

Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM

What time of day are you wanting to grab food? Generally, I'd recommend the Hamburg Inn on Linn St. most any time of the day. Good greasy spoon type fare, real Iowa food.

There are several places downtown that are nice. Z'mariks (sp?) noodle bowl is a favorite of mine.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,487 times
Bread Garden bakery and cafe, 224 S. Clinton Street -- lighter, homey, smells GREAT
The Mill 120 E. Burlington -- an IC tradition from forever. Pasta is excellent, I love the broasted chicken
Stop in for a sandwich, sidedishes and dessert or just snacks to take back to the motel: New Pioneer Coop 1102 2nd Street, Coralville
Linn Street Cafe, 121 Linn Street -- "nice" but the food is worth it! creme brulee to die for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City