Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:49 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,319 times

Advertisements

Hey folks.

I am wondering how bad your winters are?

Please provide specifics if possible not just," It gets cold."

I know it gets cold but I am from Mn originally just to put things in perspective.

Looking for a place to be close to the adult kids but not too close now that we are retired.

Pretty much looking at drawing a line across the state at about Aimes and looking anything south of that line.

thanks for any info.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 AM

1,239 posts, read 820,917 times
You can look up the climate graphs on the main page of City-Data. In general, along Hwy 30 will be a bit warmer than far northern IA or southern MN. CID airport did get down to -30F this past winter, but I believe that was a record for the date in question. I don't find snow accumulations here to be impressive at all; however, blizzard conditions can develop out in the open country with the wind blowing. Ice storms are a bigger issue IMO especially the further south you get. Being retired should mitigate this - just stay home when the roads are bad, and they'll be okay in a day or two.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,319 times
Thanks
I was wondering if it melts between snows

Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Thanks
Usually, yes. I don't like it.. the brown dead ground is ugly compared to snow cover, and cross country skiing is definitely not an everyday winter activity here.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Thanks
Not always! Certainly not like it does in drier climates like Colorado. I remember winters where we didn't see anything but snow on the ground for months and the huge mountains of snow in mall parking lots can stick around till April. One winter (2010 or 2012...somewhere in there) there was so much snow the city (Des Moines) was running out of places to put it and they were trucking it to the outskirts. That was an unusually snowy, long, horrible winter, but it happens. I remember shoveling nearly every day and one day I had to park 2 blocks from my house because my street wasn't plowed and it was too deep to drive down (in the city). And the time my power went out for 16 hours when it was a blizzard outside. Got down to about 50 in the house. Man, I don't miss that!

As someone else said, blizzard conditions are very common as it doesn't take a large volume of snow to create zero visibility when the wind is blowing at 30 mph.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Usually, yes. I don't like it.. the brown dead ground is ugly compared to snow cover, and cross country skiing is definitely not an everyday winter activity here.
I disagree. I'd rather see the brown dead ground than the blackened, filthy snow mounds on the side of the road that stuck around forever! I never thought snow was pretty, though, not even when it was fresh. All I saw was a chore to be done (shoveling) and pain the butt driving conditions and slick sidewalks.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:05 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
The single winter I spent in Des Moines it dropped below 32F a few days days before Thanksgiving and it didn't go above 32F until the last week of February. Below freezing day and night for three months straight. From what I understand that's not really typical though.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
The single winter I spent in Des Moines it dropped below 32F a few days days before Thanksgiving and it didn't go above 32F until the last week of February. Below freezing day and night for three months straight. From what I understand that's not really typical though.
https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/on...day=2016-03-04

http://www.weather.gov/media/dmx/Cli...limateData.pdf
Most Consecutive Days of Max at 32 degrees or Lower: 47 January 8 – February 23, 1978

Old 07-25-2019, 01:52 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/on...day=2016-03-04

http://www.weather.gov/media/dmx/Cli...limateData.pdf
Most Consecutive Days of Max at 32 degrees or Lower: 47 January 8 – February 23, 1978

This was back in the 80s. I guess my memory is completely faulty. Either that or as a California it just felt like it was below freezing for months!

Last edited by BeauCharles; 07-25-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 03:21 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
This was back in the 80s. I guess my memory is completely faulty. Either that or as a California it just felt like it was below freezing for months!
Yeah, the colder winter of 1978-79 the western UP of Michigan had over 450 inches of snowfall in the Lake Superior Snowbelt. Iowa winters are just typical of the Midwest, but not cold compared to the Northwoods. Yes, if you are coming from the Sunbelt they are frigid if you factor in the wind, which is problematic much of the time in Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City