U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 PM

65 posts, read 132,485 times

Advertisements

You'll read about it tomorrow, but that's the word at the morning meeting..

We were informed that "possibly" Engie may lease the university of Iowa's utility system. Or in other words, "your positions may be bought by Engie and you might work for Engie instead of the U of I.

This was a shock to all of us, half of us over the age of 50, that the U of I was so poor or unable to manage it's budget that they were going to sell us out..!
I mean, we survived the housing crisis, but now after a nice bull run in the market suddenly the U of I is broke??

Anyway. I understand Ohio State sold out it's utilities to Engie for a billion for 50 years, and I was wondering how that has, or will impact the community and employees of Ohio States university Utility's because that's whats in-store for us.

Anyone?

Last edited by rerod; 02-07-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,489,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
We were informed that "possibly" Engie may lease the university of Iowa's utility system. Or in other words, "your positions may be bought by Engie and you might work for Engie instead of the U of I.
Is this a trial balloon or a done deal? If it's not a done deal, you might want to contact your congressional rep and make some noise. You might also want to look into the health of Engie. Do they have public stock? What are they telling their stock holders?

U of I is public and supported by tax payer dollars, so I would think that they would need permission from the state before they can execute a contract with with a private firm. I'm not a lawyer, but maybe something here will help. Good luck! Changes like this rarely favor older workers.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:50 PM

https://news.osu.edu/one-year-later-...mpus-students/

Nothing mentioned about the Ohio State workers who left after wages and benefits were striped.

I guess this is how the world works lately.

In with the new, out with the old.. And it has nothing to do with energy efficiency..

Last edited by rerod; 02-07-2019 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 AM

9,268 posts, read 8,947,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
https://news.osu.edu/one-year-later-...mpus-students/

Nothing mentioned about the Ohio State workers who left after wages and benefits were striped.

I guess this is how the world works lately.

In with the new, out with the old.. And it has nothing to do with energy efficiency..
Still burns coal doesn't it?

Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Still burns coal doesn't it?

Its all about production, right? Not about a hundred middle class families, who will now earn even less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or