U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,451 times

Advertisements

Moving from Sioux City to IOWA city. Has anyone done the same and how do the two towns compair?
How is the lifestyle there in IOWA city? Are there good "quality" events to go to? By quality, I mean parks, shows, events and so on that are actually interesting. Sioux City has this but so much of it is second rate and its better to stay home.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 AM

85 posts, read 343,453 times
Default davenport

Ive never been to sioux city, but Iowa city is a nice town. Has a major university there, so theres always things going on. Has a ton of bars, and nightclubs, restaurants, school and social events are always going on. Has some good parks. Its pretty close to Cedar Rapids, and Davenport (Quad Cities), 2 of the bigger cities in iowa, Quad cities always has good concerts, some good parks,2 big shopping malls, kind of high in crime though. But overall Iowa city is a good place to live.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 18,816 times
My husband and I currently live in FL with our two kids. We're thinking of moving to IA. Perhaps Davenport. Can you give me any information about the quality of life there?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 AM

3,376 posts, read 12,226,866 times
Iowa City and Sioux City are nothing alike. Iowa City is a vibrant, liberal, cultured town that has tons to do all year long. Theater, art, museums, festivals, food, sports...you name it. I think you'll be extremely pleased with your move.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:12 PM

296 posts, read 1,182,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Iowa City and Sioux City are nothing alike. Iowa City is a vibrant, liberal, cultured town that has tons to do all year long.
Yeah, I'm trying to think of something positive to say about Sioux City but all I can think is that this doesn't sound like a comparison you need to make so much as a "get out of jail free" card that you have a chance to take. I'd take the card! Be sure to take pictures of the stock yards before you leave, though. People love hearing the Gateway computer story and seeing just what inspired the spots on those boxes (especially when they are many, many miles away, olfactory-wise).

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM

375 posts, read 819,657 times
Default Considering Iowa as well...

I was seriously looking at the Carolinas as a cheaper place to live, with more of a family atmosphere and one of my friends suggested Iowa. I live in central Fl now, can't afford anything safe and am looking to relocate somewhere that I can afford with a great quality of life. I am most concerned about my teen son fitting in, as he has lived here most of his life. What kinds of activities do most teenagers do and are they all super competitive? He likes sports but isn't the most athletic, so down here, he doesn't stand a chance.

How hard is it for outsiders to fit in? Are there any small towns outside of cities that have lots of tech jobs?

Thanks for any info!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM

681 posts, read 2,807,698 times
May I suggest making a new thread out of this? You would probably get a better response from more people.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:29 PM

114 posts, read 450,182 times
tcar5, I grew up just 'down the road' from you, in Sheldon. So I am very familiar with SUX. I went to visit my family in LeMars and as family friend said, 'let's go toe SC.' As a freshman at Iowa, I was thinking ok, how different can it be. It's different!! IC tries to stay hip and young. Citizens enjoy fixing p the houses to bring back the charm. It is also smaller, so there is a more hometown feel to it. You can go to a Broadway Show(as in very recent or the opening show for the production), a NCAA althetlic
event and a world class Museum in 1 day. There is really no comparison of the 2. SUX was built on Farming and IC was built on the U of I. Plus the shopping is better, the air doesn't really have a smell and downtown isn't depressing. Although SUX does have some great restaurants, and there is no place around the makes taverns that taste like those in N'West Iowa. Really, people look at me strange when I mention that I miss taverns.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 13,430 times
Default Lots of places to go

Even if you live in Iowa City, with I-80 right there it is easy to get anywhere else in central Iowa. You have Williamsburg shopping outlet, Amana Colonies, Cedar Rapids is a hop, skip and a jump, Kalona is getting you into Amish country, plus there are different wineries throughout the state. Easy to get to Des Moines or Davenport on either side. There are parks in the area as well as camping. Not sure about the cost of living there since it is a college town. Rent and such is going to be more as you get closer to campus. We live in Grinnell and go either way for our shopping days.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:20 PM
jds

162 posts, read 415,350 times
IOWA city for high schools are good you have city high and west and then regina which is a privite school! The U of IOWA is here in Iowa the city is very nice there is a lot to do and sports are fine to attend with the university! In coralville which is very close thats were all the shopping is you have a large mall and other things very nice area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or