Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

Hi, what is it like to be an older gay male in Iowa City?

I mean this more in terms of social activities and building new friendships than in finding a "boyfriend".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 02:02 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutschmantchr View Post
Hi, what is it like to be an older gay male in Iowa City?

I mean this more in terms of social activities and building new friendships than in finding a "boyfriend".
Check out "Prime Timers". You can look them up on the Internet they are no longer just national but they are an international organization for older gay men and their admirers. Just about every major city has a chapter and they offer activities where they can socialize.

http://www.drakedigitalnews.com/2014...older-gay-men/

Old 01-30-2024, 01:21 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
No relevant responses, so I'll try again four years later. Considering a move to Iowa City for retirement and also a senior gay male. Are there organizations in place or a general atmosphere that would allow for assimilation as a gay senior newcomer?

Old 01-31-2024, 08:14 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No relevant responses, so I'll try again four years later. Considering a move to Iowa City for retirement and also a senior gay male. Are there organizations in place or a general atmosphere that would allow for assimilation as a gay senior newcomer?
Hi Kyle. I visited Iowa this past year. I tried to contact Primetimers in that state at that time. Unfortunately I didn't get a reply, so I'm not sure if it's an active chapter. To be honest Kyle the area seemed like it could prove difficult, to connect with other gay people. Its a very family oriented area of the US. If one wasn't from there and had no contacts, it would be hard I think. I think for an older gay person, perhaps a church with a gay following might be it. Unitarian Universalist usually has quite a few gay seniors. I'm not religious but I always heard that's a place to meet gay seniors.

With that said It's a very affordable area to retire to, actually one of the few anymore. Iowa City seems to be a bit more expensive than the Des Moines area. Either or quite affordable and the state from what I saw seemed very pleasant and friendly. In fact part of a truck tire hit my car outside iowa City on I 80 I managed to limp into the Kia dealer in Iowa City because the front grill was damaged and making noise. They did a quick fix for me and didn't charge me. I was shocked how nice they were at a car dealer Everyone i met in Iowa seemed nice and helpful. That's very important when choosing a retirement location. What the population is like. Best of Luck Kyle. If you want to retire to Iowa you should. I bet you will eventually meet other retired gay people there.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Considering a move to Iowa City for retirement and also a senior gay male.
...that would allow for assimilation as a gay senior newcomer?
I just sent this DM but no need to and I've edited it some:

Not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that <-- had to) but, ...
I know Iowa a bit and I've come to know smaller cities now too (under 300k)...

I don't think being gay is going to matter in the State University City nearly as much
as coming to a new town unattached and over your age (__) will matter ... and regardless of sexual orientation.

The questions you'll face quickly become about which tenuous or even stable relationship
your new presence will imbalance as most smaller city people over age (__) are paired and regardless of orientation.

Which in turn leads you to the general dearth of ISO prospects in a practical radius using the common ISO filters that OLD services have.
Which gets you back to the idea of bringing your own; to arrive paired.

Or the tribulations of somehow later importing a someone that will suit.
The older you are you might enter the 'widow' range but that's a different topic.
Good luck

Old 01-31-2024, 01:12 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
Quote:

I’m not gay and not very familiar with the gay community in the Iowa City area. I’ve seen Pride parades and events on social media and it seems to be geared more toward the younger crowd IMO.

One thing about Iowa is most people have grown up here with deep roots, family, relatives, lifelong friends. Also you will be a distance from any larger cities.

This is just my observation after living here for 30 years (I’m straight and a non-native). If you’re more of an extrovert it might be different for you. Good luck wherever you end up!

Last edited by smpliving; 01-31-2024 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of: