U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 9,169 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate next spring to the Iowa City or Cedar Rapids area. We are a family of 5, have 3 young children and would prefer to be in a nice suburb. I have heard a lot of good things about the College Community School district in Cedar Rapids but we are having a tough time finding rentals or even houses to buy in that area. Suburbs we are thinking about would be Ely, Solon, Swisher or North Liberty. My only concern about North Liberty would be that the kids would go to Iowa City schools which I have heard are very large class sizes.
What is Solon like? How are their schools?
Can anyone give me your advice. We currently live in a very nice small town in the NW corner of the state....very Dutch and everything is very neat and clean. We are just lacking the services for our child who happens to have a disability.

Sorry for the 2nd post.. just wanted to add a little more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 PM

681 posts, read 2,809,214 times
North Liberty is a nice suburb, but is going through some growing pains. Being the second-fastest growing city in Iowa comes with a few infrastructure issues after all. They just built a big new LEED-certified elementary school (Van Allen) a few years ago and now it's pretty much at capacity. They're going to start on a new school pretty quick. ICCSD is a pretty good school district, overall.

Solon is a nice small town, but it's not really a suburb (not yet anyway). Solon school are excellent, but very small. I like Solon for it's sense of community, pride in the schools, and great small town atmosphere...plus it's close to the lake. It is a little farther out of Iowa City, though.

I don't know much about Ely or Swisher/Shueyville. That's closer to Cedar Rapids and out of my area. I do know College Community is a great school district from everything I've heard.

Another option to consider might be the Clear Creek-Amana school district. It's a great school district that's growing, but at a slower pace than North Liberty/ICCSD. Tiffin is a nice suburb to consider, with a new elementary school built there a few years ago as well.

Hopefully this a start and others will throw their two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or