Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times

Advertisements

Curious to know whether there was any serious and remaining damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 02:37 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,894 times
There are houses upon houses sitting and rotting. There are many for sale as well. Yes, some are rebuilding, but where I drive through, notsomuch. I think the city is doomed. The downtown is coming back slowly, but some big companies bailed. Building the downtown is one thing, but when people are still living in their cars, that's a problem.. It seems the city cared way too much about that then helping the one's who really need it. I'm not ripping the business' and the people that own them, that's great you got the money to rebuild, but when people are leaving the city to live elsewhere, the downtown won't survive.

Even if your home didn't get flooded, you are still affected. It's sad really. We have lived here 4 years and I just applied for a job out of state because I don't see much hope here. Plus this city has no leadership and lacks so much. It's been 5 months since the flood and way too many are still left out in the cold.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:16 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
There are houses upon houses sitting and rotting. There are many for sale as well. Yes, some are rebuilding, but where I drive through, notsomuch. I think the city is doomed. The downtown is coming back slowly, but some big companies bailed. Building the downtown is one thing, but when people are still living in their cars, that's a problem.. It seems the city cared way too much about that then helping the one's who really need it. I'm not ripping the business' and the people that own them, that's great you got the money to rebuild, but when people are leaving the city to live elsewhere, the downtown won't survive.

Even if your home didn't get flooded, you are still affected. It's sad really. We have lived here 4 years and I just applied for a job out of state because I don't see much hope here. Plus this city has no leadership and lacks so much. It's been 5 months since the flood and way too many are still left out in the cold.
I believe this quote is referring to Cedar Rapids, not Iowa City. I would say Iowa City is far from doomed. Plus, our downtown didn't flood.

Really only a couple of residential neighborhoods flooded, just "Mosquito Flats" as I've heard it called (off of Rocky Shore) and a few houses and apartment buildings in Coralville off of 5th Street.

The Coralville Strip was flooded and I'd say about half the businesses are back now. Quite a few moved to less flood-prone locations, others are still cleaning up. Only a few closed, like Sluggers and maybe Lone Star?

The animal shelter was flooded and is operating from a temporary location out in the country south of town. There were some businesses affected along the river around Waterfront Hy-Vee too, I don't know if these have opened yet.

The University was probably hit hardest, all of the campus near the river was flooded. The Memorial Union, the art buildings, Voxman, Hancher, and Clapp were all flooded and I believe they're all still closed. They're putting art classes in the old Menards building out on Highway 1 for now while they rebuild. The Memorial Union just reopened above the lower level, which they're still working on.

Overall, it hurt, but we're recovering well and I think everything should be back to normal by next summer.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Yes, it was Cedar Rapids I was talking about.

Iowa City/Coralville is way ahead of the game. Amazing how much a difference there is in cities that are only about 25 miles apart. Iowa City/Coralville didn't sit on their butts, then again they actually have a formed government.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Yes, it was Cedar Rapids I was talking about.

Iowa City/Coralville is way ahead of the game. Amazing how much a difference there is in cities that are only about 25 miles apart. Iowa City/Coralville didn't sit on their butts, then again they actually have a formed government.
Iowa City overall experienced a small fraction of what Cedar Rapids dealt with. The core of the city was completely fine. University buildings are blessed to have the state rush in and dump funding left and right to rebuild ASAP.

I was there for 3 days last week and I couldn't tell one bit the flood came through. I know tons of houses were flooded and many businesses, but it's a fairly small % of the metro area. Not that those that were flooded areb't dealing with a world of hurt!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,071 times
I think a large part of how Iowa City was able to escape more serious damage is just a happy accident of geography. Since Iowa City is so hilly, and the river valley there is so relatively narrow...only a few areas flooded, and the rest were naturally protected.

Cedar Rapids, on the other hand, is in a wide and flat plain for the most part. So when it flooded...it went from block to block to block.

And while I don't share all of UWBadgers' criticisms of Cedar Rapids or his grim outlook...he is right on one thing. CR has a very dysfunctional government, while IC's government is generally on top of things. The difference in disaster response is at least somewhat responsible for the difference in the cities recovery.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
And while I don't share all of UWBadgers' criticisms of Cedar Rapids or his grim outlook...he is right on one thing. CR has a very dysfunctional government, while IC's government is generally on top of things. The difference in disaster response is at least somewhat responsible for the difference in the cities recovery.
Just wanted to let you know that I'm a HER...

Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:

What big companies bailed??

Honestly I think there is a silver lining in the flood. A lot of these homes were 100+ years old and ready to cave in anyway. Good way to thin out the heard.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 PM

124 posts, read 501,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
The animal shelter was flooded and is operating from a temporary location out in the country south of town. There were some businesses affected along the river around Waterfront Hy-Vee too, I don't know if these have opened yet.

The University was probably hit hardest, all of the campus near the river was flooded. The Memorial Union, the art buildings, Voxman, Hancher, and Clapp were all flooded and I believe they're all still closed. They're putting art classes in the old Menards building out on Highway 1 for now while they rebuild. The Memorial Union just reopened above the lower level, which they're still working on.
I worked on flood recovery in several of the U of I buildings (EPB, Adler, Becker, IATL, IMU/Iowa House, Art Museum, Art West, Theater, etc.). To see how bad most of them were when we first set foot in them and see how much progress has been made is really quite impressive. I also did some work at the temp. animal shelter to get them up and running.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 AM

325 posts, read 706,081 times
It's also true that Iowa City is just so much of a better city than Cedar Rapids, which I found to be a hellhole.

IC gets my vote as one of the most liveable cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City