U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 76,548 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Iowa City in June, and are getting ready to look at housing. We'd like to live downtown somewhere, but having only visited once, I don't really recognize many of the street names....what are street names to look for in the downtown food/shopping/club area? Is it possible to find loft apartments over downtown businesses?

Mostly, I want to be able to walk almost everywhere I'd like to go in town, and walk to class when I start school. Are there certain housing complexes that would be situated well for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,235,105 times
There is tons of housing near the campus, but keep in mind that the majority of it is loud. Lots of drunk college students at night, people up all night, house parties, etc. Most of the area around campus is apartments (loud) or houses that are now apartments (loud). There are neighborhoods further out that may be quieter, but you'd probably have to purchase a house, not rent. Anywhere near campus that you can rent, will be filled with students.

Now, if you are a student and don't mind that, go for it. But given that you mentioned you have a husband, you probably aren't the type who would want to find beer cans and drunk people in your yard every weekend morning.

Most grad students (from what I recall) lived much further away and drove to campus when necessary. Not within walking distance. There was a university owned family housing complex behind Hancher Auditorium, but I think that was mainly for students who had kids.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM

I want to add, I don't mean to make it sound like IC is this huge party town filled with drunk 20 year olds. But...it is a college town with a ton of bars, and the areas around campus were very loud at night. This is mainly because IC is so walkable and students cram into housing all around campus. That's where I always lived in school, and I just learned to deal with the noise (plus...I was out at night too). I never wanted to have an apartment that wasn't "in the middle of things" so hopefully someone else can give advice on where to look. But, I did live about a 15 min walk to campus on all 4 sides of the campus over the years, and it was loud and filled with students in each area.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:21 PM

189 posts, read 728,065 times
Zoom in to the downtown area for more detail. Downtown is generally considered the area bordered by Clinton to the west, Iowa to the north, Gilbert to the east and Burlington to the south. Downtown is creeping past these streets, but this should help orient you.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Iowa+Ci...i=map&ct=title

Old 03-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the warning about downtown being loud, but we're very social and have enjoyed living in areas where there are lots of people, and I very much want to be able to walk to pretty much anything.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM

I can't remember street names anymore, but the street that the UI Presidential house is on, turns into a brick road once it crosses ____ (behind the Sigma Nu house) and those are some very nice homes back there. It would be walkable for sure. Also, in the area behind Hancher, more behind the _____ city park/river, are some very nice homes but it's not very walkable. Back in the area off Burlington, on the street that Delta Gamma is on, those are big nice homes as well. Also, behind Hancher and more towards the International Student Center, are some good homes. Sort of near the street/walking bridge that goes over to the city hospital off of Riverside/1st Ave (again, my memory is fading).

I think you'll find, however, that if you want a house near campus, that isn't a run down student house, you'll be paying a ton of money.

You really don't want to live in a loft above the bars. *shudder* You'd never get any sleep. The Ped Mall is very loud, just due to the way it is structured. You'd be listening to blaring dance music pumping out of the bars every night. Plus you'd have to pay monthly fees to park in a garage, if they even do that there (they must by now).

Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM

So far, the hunt is going well. Many apartments within 3 miles of campus, and everything is emptying as the students leave for summer....

Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM

Well yes, there are always a billion apartments open at all times. I really must tell you, if you are married and are...well, more adult....then you do not want to live in that type of housing. I can't stress that enough. Just driving down the Johnson St area now is a headache. If you must get an apartment, definitely get one as far away from campus as you can stand.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:11 AM

Default appreciate the warning, but...

I do appreciate your warning about that section of town...but although we are married, I am 19 and he's 22, we've been stuck in a town with nothing to do for entertainment besides watch tv, and we don't have a tv, ha ha! I personally am a music lover and I want to be right in the middle of downtown if I can. Again, I place a lot of value on being able to walk to everything as well. And we're very social people, so the more people we are around, the better. I'm tolerant of loud noise when trying to sleep, and we have a decently loud surround sound system in our living room, so it would be better if we had loud neighbors anyhow so that WE don't upset someone, lol!

Right now, we live in an apartment that is part of a house with a 4 bedroom apartment taking the rest of the house. There are roughly 20 people in the other apartment, and the stairs they walk on are directly over our bed, so we've actually gotten used to not sleeping in peace or quiet.

Thanks so much for responding and helping!! I will probably post again this weekend after visiting apts, if not sooner.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 AM

189 posts, read 728,065 times
Brittany,

It almost sounds like you're living a college lifestyle without the headache of attending classes. LOL The atmosphere around DT IC would be a perfect fit for you then. Lots of social activities, music, restaurants, etc. 19 year olds can get into the bars too if you don't drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or