Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 45,074 times

Advertisements

I'm attending Iowa this fall and am really nervous about getting a decent apartment. It seems like almost all the properties I've seen online and in the IC newspaper are explicitly NOT dog friendly. It's quite shocking. There's absolutely no way I will get rid of my dog, so my question is will I be shooting myself in the foot by waiting until the middle of May to head up to Iowa to look for a place to live? I'm in Austin, Texas now and was going to wait to visit until I moved back to KC this summer--that way I can drive up to IC rather than fly, rent a car, etc... Should I try and negotiate the dog issue with renters? I mean, he's only 20lbs. and has lived in an apartment for two years. I have references too.

I would really appreciate some assistance. I'm quite disturbed by the whole situation.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
May would definitely be too late, especially if you're looking for a dog-friendly apartment. Right now is really the peak time for renting next fall.

I don't have a dog, so I don't have any personal experience with this, but it comes up all the time--in Des Moines and IC and the QC and everywhere else. I guess Iowa landlords just don't go for dogs.

My only advice would be to keep looking! Dog-friendly apartments exist, even if they are rare. Expect a dog deposit. As far as negotiating with landlords, my advice would be to find a landlord who takes cats and then plead your case. (Maybe include a picture of your dog?) If you get into a real pickle, talk to the University. They can point you in the right direction.

The University's Off-Campus Housing Service website is pretty helpful:

Off-Campus Housing Service - Iowa Memorial Union: The University of Iowa

Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 PM

14 posts, read 45,074 times
Thanks SharpHawkeye. I guess I'll be flying up sooner than later.

I had my housing request sent out via a listserve for Iowa grads in my department. I think I'll have to see if I can't have it cross-posted to other departments. I have come across one place--beautiful upper half of a two flat--but it's on the highest end of my price range. When I accepted their offer I had no idea this would be an issue. I have to say it kind of scares me a little about the town as a whole.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 16,995 times
Agree with above post. May is pretty late in the game, especially if you are looking near campus. Many of the apartments near campus are snatched up in Jan-Feb, although I don't know how dog-friendly they would be anyway. I would think you should be able to find what you are looking for a little futher from campus. Many of the apartments in IC are managed by a handful of property management companies (scam artists IMO) and will probably be less flexible than if you can find a private landlord in the newspaper, Craigslist, etc.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM

51 posts, read 211,482 times
Remember to include Coralville in your search. Coralville and Iowa City over lap each other and appear to be one big town.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Coralville might be easier to find a dog-friendly place as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,583 times
I agree Corallville. My cousin and his wife live there, and rent, and have 2 dogs and 3 cats.

Tho, I'm not sure the landlord knows about the 2nd dog and the 3rd cat. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM

120 posts, read 305,815 times
Default The sooner the better

I lived in IC for 4 years while at the Uni. It is difficult, but not impossible to find housing with dogs.

A couple of suggestions: while there ARE apartments listed in the Press-Citizen, you will also have luck simply driving around looking for yard signs. Many individuals and management companies "advertise" on the cheap w/ yard signs.

When I first arrived in IC w/ my two dogs, I rented from Heritage Management; they do allow dogs and are one of the more, hmmmm, let's just say "reputable" management companies.

Yes, yes, and YES, absolutely negotiate with potential landlords! Let them know that you will put up whatever security deposit is necessary for your dog.

If I am reading your post correctly, you are a graduate student? This may also weigh in your favor, as grad students are seen as generally more responsible and career-oriented, so I would also mention this while speaking to landlords. You might also be happier out a ways from the immediate undergraduate housing area around campus. Look out on the north side and over on the east side by Hickory Hill Park, as well as others mentioned, in Coralville.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:07 PM

12 posts, read 79,866 times
Default Renting in IC

Hi there- I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I would recommend looking Southgate or Heritage Property Management and inquire about Waldenridge townhouse/condo's. (We rented from Heritage and they are amazingly nice).

There are some nice 3 level townhouses that have a deck, walk-out basement, washer, dryer, dishwasher and include basic cable and most in the neighborhood are dog friendly. Some street names are Clearwater Ct, Mossy Glen Ct, Shady Glen Ct, Sylvan Glen Ct, Bittersweet Ct. When we rented, they were about $775. These are on the west side of Iowa City and walking distance to a plaza with a grocery, drugstore, movie store, coffee shop, and pizza place, and there is a park nearby as well as a biking trail that runs past.

For lower rent, look in Coralville- I don't have any advice about specific pet-friendly places in Coralville though.

One good thing to know about moving to Iowa City is that we have an off-leash dog park, and there are separate sections for just small dogs, just big dogs, and a large area where they can all play. There are LOTS of dog-owners in this town, so I'm sure you'll be happy once you move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City