U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 AM

23 posts, read 114,161 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 4,885,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanerbean View Post
I do have a question for all of you who post about Iowa city DO you currently (I mean right now) live in Iowa city?
I'll answer your question. I currently don't live there. I have many relatives there and I visit it frequently. I think it's a great town that's having some growing pains that if left unchecked, will just get worse.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 AM

681 posts, read 2,807,698 times
I'll bite. I've lived here in Iowa City for the better part of four years, while I've been getting my degree from the UI. I'm on the five year plan, it seems...

Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM

267 posts, read 1,122,786 times
Quote:
I do have a question for all of you who post about Iowa city DO you currently (I mean right now) live in Iowa city?
Yes. Well, Coralville, but close enough.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM

4,709 posts, read 6,336,655 times
Quote:
Nope, but I'm there all the time and I know it like the back of my hand.

DO you currently (no need for me to explain what currently means) live in Iowa City?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 PM

114 posts, read 450,182 times
I'm just wondering because even if you visit all the time you really can't say what it is like to live here and yes I live here a total of 12 years 2 then left and currently going on my 10th year and have seen it go from cornfields north of I80 to CV almost meeting NL. and downtown go from a cool place to bar haven USA

OP north of I80 would be your best bet. it is closer to the mall and there is a sense of the 'burb' community. people walking their dog taking their kids to the park.

there is a distiction of Coralville and Iowa city. Most Iowa Citians would not want to be considered a part of Coralville and vice versa. there is a 'idealogoy' division of the 2 towns. Coralville has much more of a suburbia feel to it that Iowa city will ever have.
JMHO

Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 43,347 times
Quote:
there is a distiction of Coralville and Iowa city. Most Iowa Citians would not want to be considered a part of Coralville and vice versa. there is a 'idealogoy' division of the 2 towns. Coralville has much more of a suburbia feel to it that Iowa city will ever have.
JMHO
I disagree. Most people don't really think about it, they just call Coralville and North Liberty "Iowa City." I think you are looking too far into it.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 PM

267 posts, read 1,122,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadoalleylover View Post
I disagree. Most people don't really think about it, they just call Coralville and North Liberty "Iowa City." I think you are looking too far into it.
I have heard Iowa Citians make negative comments about Coralville before. I think much of it comes from the construction of Coral Ridge Mall, which lamentably had a very adverse effect on Iowa City's downtown and Sycamore Mall areas. I've never heard anyone in Coralville or NL say anything too negative about Iowa City, though. I don't really think it's an issue of ideology for most people, I don't think city limits are a deciding factor for people when searching for homes.

However, I've always had a problem with saying Coralville is vastly different from Iowa City because Iowa City isn't exclusively urban. By saying that Iowa City doesn't feel suburban, you are ignoring the existence of the far east side (around Scott Blvd.) or the neighborhoods around Rohret Rd., even up to Galway Hills or Walnut Ridge. There are plenty of suburban areas in Iowa City that are very similar to neighborhoods in Coralville, or even North Liberty.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times
Quote:
JMHO
I can see a point here, but I think it's not as severe as it sounds in that post.

My family moved to Coralville around 60 years ago and has lived there (and loved it) their entire lives.

They moved into a new house on the very edge of town around 1950. They were on 10th ave, and the pictures are hilarious. No trees, nothing but farms west of 10th ave, and the road was just lightly paved with asphalt.

No interstate, 1st ave was a county road, nothing north of 8th Street or west of 10th Ave. My dad went to Coralville Central, which was in the Coralville School District - and was the only school in town. By the time he was ready for 9th grade though they combined the districts and he went to City High.

My dad said back then there wasn't vicious attacking, but there was no doubt about it from anyone in the school that they were the CORALVILLE KIDS. The little town down the road, somewhat poor, people would always poke fun of them and they tended to stick together. It wasn't a huge issue, but it was more like they were from today's Hills or Solon.

I think when the interstate came through in the 1960's was when someone "turned the lights on" in Coralville. It suddenly started changing from a town of 900 people when my dad moved in to 6,000 by 1970...to around 20,000 today.

I think from the 1960's through the 1980's Coralville went from an after-thought of Iowa City to more like a maturing little brother. It really was an integrated part of the area, and I never saw in the 80's any rivalry or difference in ideology between Coralville or Iowa City. You were either from one or the other. We loved going into Iowa City.

That said though I always thought of myself as 100% from Coralville - and not Iowa City. As far as Iowa as a whole though, I was from the Iowa City area. I thought of ourselves as quite different from the rest of the state. I think the main reason there was any separation between the two was that basically the only way to go between the cities was to travel to the very "tip" of Coralville and cross through the 1st Ave/Highway 6 interchange. Either that or get on the interstate.

Anyway...writing a lot. I think the mall opening in 1998 was the one thing that gave Coralville an adrenaline shot, and torked off Iowa City to a degree. It was the fast change that had Coralville turn into a "businessman" at the expense of Iowa City. Coralville drew in the mall, dozens of hotels and restaurants, expanded roads, dished out acres of land for the development of hundreds of high-end houses on the north side of town, tried for the rainforest, etc.

I think that was a split from the ideology of Iowa City, which was much more hippie-liberal as opposed to pure capitalism and business expansion anywhere and everywhere. It was like Coralville "sold out" at the expense of Iowa City's tax base.

My dad always joked how Coralville got eveything because the city leaders went right out and sold the deal while Iowa City sat around pondering "the good" of everything.

I see both sides, and I love Coralville and Iowa City, but even though I'll always be a Coralvillian, I myself fit more with the Iowa City view of the world.

Coralville to me seems to be turning into an out of control cancer on Iowa City, changing the entire area through uncontrolled commercial, retail and population growth. Of course the university is the main employer and the rock for all of Iowa City's growth - but I walk through Coralville now and don't recognize the family-oriented, safe, CALM, fun place I use to live as a child. We'd walk the town all summer and it was so peaceful. You knew everyone, no worries, no traffic.

Wow, that was a rant. I must be bored at work!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
I have heard Iowa Citians make negative comments about Coralville before. I think much of it comes from the construction of Coral Ridge Mall, which lamentably had a very adverse effect on Iowa City's downtown and Sycamore Mall areas. I've never heard anyone in Coralville or NL say anything too negative about Iowa City, though. I don't really think it's an issue of ideology for most people, I don't think city limits are a deciding factor for people when searching for homes.

However, I've always had a problem with saying Coralville is vastly different from Iowa City because Iowa City isn't exclusively urban. By saying that Iowa City doesn't feel suburban, you are ignoring the existence of the far east side (around Scott Blvd.) or the neighborhoods around Rohret Rd., even up to Galway Hills or Walnut Ridge. There are plenty of suburban areas in Iowa City that are very similar to neighborhoods in Coralville, or even North Liberty.
I agree here. People in NL and Coralville have always seem to embrace Iowa City, and love that their towns are part of that urban area.

I also don't think the urban-suburban connection is talked about much. Sure Coralville is more suburban, but Iowa City has the downtown and is the core of the area. Go west on Melrose, Rorhet Road, anywhere on the eastern side, southeast, etc. and it's all suburban. Northern Coralville is a little more spread out and suburban because its more forested and has more high-end homes than Iowa City (outside Walnut Ridge).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or