U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Ft. Worth Area
10 posts, read 43,380 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Wow, that was a rant. I must be bored at work!
Yes, it was ... and yes - you must be. But I must be even more bored, I actually read the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM
 
5,949 posts, read 14,406,369 times
Reputation: 3629
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadoalleylover View Post
Yes, it was ... and yes - you must be. But I must be even more bored, I actually read the whole thing.
Me too! But as a guy who's lived in IC a couple times during my life and still has strong ties there (MIL lives there), I was fascinated by Chi's history lesson, coming directly from a native C'villian and his father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
 
7 posts, read 26,740 times
Reputation: 11
The Westwinds neighborhood near West High is very nice and safe with condos and apartments. Rents are among the lowest in town, around $650-750 for two bedrooms. I've lived there for a few years and it's very quiet. But that also means parties and gatherings, however small, are reported very quickly. It's also close to a drug store and a supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Boise, Idaho by way of Iowa City, Iowa
310 posts, read 1,181,407 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadoalleylover View Post
I disagree. Most people don't really think about it, they just call Coralville and North Liberty "Iowa City." I think you are looking too far into it.

No, we call the cities by their own names(or nicknames). Coralville is The Ville, North Liberty is NL, University Heights is UHeights. No one calls the whole area "Iowa City". And we Iowa Citians enjoy the Ville and NL...but everyone hates UHeights for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Boise, Idaho by way of Iowa City, Iowa
310 posts, read 1,181,407 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I agree here. People in NL and Coralville have always seem to embrace Iowa City, and love that their towns are part of that urban area.

I also don't think the urban-suburban connection is talked about much. Sure Coralville is more suburban, but Iowa City has the downtown and is the core of the area. Go west on Melrose, Rorhet Road, anywhere on the eastern side, southeast, etc. and it's all suburban. Northern Coralville is a little more spread out and suburban because its more forested and has more high-end homes than Iowa City (outside Walnut Ridge).
lol that's where my parents live. We were the first house in that entire development for at least a year. Shame the back part of it is full of pricks, front side is full of good people but once you hit the speed humps (whoever decided these were a good idea is a moron) the people turn into self righteous jerks (and obviously morons since they voted for the speed humps)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Chariton, Iowa
681 posts, read 2,809,446 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
No, we call the cities by their own names(or nicknames). Coralville is The Ville, North Liberty is NL, University Heights is UHeights. No one calls the whole area "Iowa City". And we Iowa Citians enjoy the Ville and NL...but everyone hates UHeights for obvious reasons.
Ha ha ha, yeah. University Heights: Iowa City's weird uncle that nobody really likes but just puts up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
 
11,289 posts, read 23,040,763 times
Reputation: 11169
When I grew up we called it

Iowa-North-Coral-Libertyville City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Boise, Idaho by way of Iowa City, Iowa
310 posts, read 1,181,407 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Ha ha ha, yeah. University Heights: Iowa City's weird uncle that nobody really likes but just puts up with.

I used to live there, less than a year ago in fact. Love the area, hate the cops.

Better make sure your car is in perfect working order, you don't have tinted windows even if they came that way from the factory, don't even think about driving over the speed limit (even 1 or 2 mph), and don't even look at the cop as you drive past, that's enough reason for them to pull you over. Oh and don't have your bumper hanging even a half inch over the sidewalk when parked in your own driveway, you'll get a ticket for that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 PM
 
11,289 posts, read 23,040,763 times
Reputation: 11169
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
I used to live there, less than a year ago in fact. Love the area, hate the cops.

Better make sure your car is in perfect working order, you don't have tinted windows even if they came that way from the factory, don't even think about driving over the speed limit (even 1 or 2 mph), and don't even look at the cop as you drive past, that's enough reason for them to pull you over. Oh and don't have your bumper hanging even a half inch over the sidewalk when parked in your own driveway, you'll get a ticket for that as well.
Ahh yes, Officer Friendly. He's been crusing up and down Melrose for literally DECADES. Since University Heights only has a few hundred people, they literally get all their funding from that one cop who pulls everyone over. I vividly remember the late 90's when I would drive 24mph down Melrose.

It seriously goes along with the Black Angel and Airliner as one of Iowa City's big culture points, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Boise, Idaho by way of Iowa City, Iowa
310 posts, read 1,181,407 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Ahh yes, Officer Friendly. He's been crusing up and down Melrose for literally DECADES. Since University Heights only has a few hundred people, they literally get all their funding from that one cop who pulls everyone over. I vividly remember the late 90's when I would drive 24mph down Melrose.

It seriously goes along with the Black Angel and Airliner as one of Iowa City's big culture points, haha.

I'm pretty sure the original has retired now but the new guys are just as bad. Brad Reinhold (who I went to west high with) is now one of them and he's a complete dick, he'll pull you over if he recognizes that you went to high school with him. Dude's like 5 feet tall and has a giant stick up his butt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top