U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM

4,709 posts, read 6,340,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanerbean View Post
there is a 'idealogoy' division of the 2 towns.

no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,021,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
I'm pretty sure the original has retired now but the new guys are just as bad. Brad Reinhold (who I went to west high with) is now one of them and he's a complete dick, he'll pull you over if he recognizes that you went to high school with him. Dude's like 5 feet tall and has a giant stick up his butt
When did you graduate West? I graduated there in '97

Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 PM

114 posts, read 450,252 times
Ahh yes UHeights. where when (I swear I have heard this more that once at work (UIHC)) giving directions to people on how to get to the hospital make sure they are going less than 25 from the big white building (AKA the The Univeristy Altheltic Club) to the railroad bridge. before and after that your fine.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 AM

310 posts, read 1,180,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
When did you graduate West? I graduated there in '97

'02. My brother graduated in '96 and my sisters in '99 and '00.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM

38 posts, read 98,269 times
We live in West Iowa city/ University Heights. I highly suggest it. You may find a home/townhome for rent much cheaper then apt rent. People are having a hard time selling larger homes (not sure on your budget)
When I first moved to Iowa City I cried. It's SMALL & I didn't have time to see it before my move. My husband told me he was going to give me a tour of the "city" & it seriously took about 15 minutes
However, after being here a year I am dreading our pending relo next summer. The small town feel is wonderful once you get used to it. The only thing lacking in my opinion are enough restaurants to offer variety. People are so friendly & welcoming (we move every 2 years & this is by far the best town I have lived in) Keep that in mind when you look to buy/rent. North Liberty, Coralville & IC are all linked by a 15 minute drive. Nothing is far & I've never experienced what I consider traffic (of course I have lived in Dallas, St. Louis etc) I also agree with the warnings to avoid the Hwy 6 area.
Welcome soon!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:36 PM

23 posts, read 114,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growing2Boys View Post
We live in West Iowa city/ University Heights. I highly suggest it. You may find a home/townhome for rent much cheaper then apt rent. People are having a hard time selling larger homes (not sure on your budget)
When I first moved to Iowa City I cried. It's SMALL & I didn't have time to see it before my move. My husband told me he was going to give me a tour of the "city" & it seriously took about 15 minutes
However, after being here a year I am dreading our pending relo next summer. The small town feel is wonderful once you get used to it. The only thing lacking in my opinion are enough restaurants to offer variety. People are so friendly & welcoming (we move every 2 years & this is by far the best town I have lived in) Keep that in mind when you look to buy/rent. North Liberty, Coralville & IC are all linked by a 15 minute drive. Nothing is far & I've never experienced what I consider traffic (of course I have lived in Dallas, St. Louis etc) I also agree with the warnings to avoid the Hwy 6 area.
Welcome soon!
Do you have any specific apartment suggestions? My budget is up to $750 for an apartment, for now. When my husband finds a job it will be significantly more, of course. I would love to find a townhouse or new apartment, but it seems like they would cost around the 800-900 range.

I'm also a bit nervous, since I've never lived in a small town, and I enjoy going out to various places and restaurants.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:25 AM

2,467 posts, read 3,701,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdelila View Post
Do you have any specific apartment suggestions? My budget is up to $750 for an apartment, for now. When my husband finds a job it will be significantly more, of course. I would love to find a townhouse or new apartment, but it seems like they would cost around the 800-900 range.

I'm also a bit nervous, since I've never lived in a small town, and I enjoy going out to various places and restaurants.

Thanks for your advice.
What are you looking for? A one-bedroom in Coralville would be much cheaper than $750 and a 2-bedroom is still pretty doable. For instance: 2 bedroom,Coralville, July 1st (http://iowacity.craigslist.org/apa/1219397112.html - broken link)

I lived in Scotsdale Apartments in Coralville (different from the link) a couple years ago and paid about $630 a month for a 2 bedroom. I'd also recommend just driving around and looking at "for rent" signs in the area also. I've never done it, but I've heard it's easier to find a deal this way.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 AM

23 posts, read 114,183 times
Ok thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking for something like the link you posted. I know that a lot of the condos in coralville are advertising 2 bd for around $750 and up. The only thing is, I won't be in Iowa until Aug 1st, and I'm just worried I won't be able to find what I want. I'm afraid all the good deals will be gone, and I'll be left with all the really expensive apartments or all the really old cheap ones.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 45,601 times
They are all kind of one in the same. All of them run right into the next. Iowa City is the older area, more downtown action and residental area. Cheaper to live in than Coralville for the most part. Coralville is a little newer a lot more shopping and restaurants. I thnk North Liberty is a neutral middle. Little quieter. My brother and sister in law live there and it is really nice especially for the rental price in the area. If I had to choose I would say North Liberty

Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,021,372 times
North Liberty is nice, it's just a little farther away from Iowa City. I've always thought it a little strange because it doesn't really have a town center. It has the highway cutting through town and then huge subdivisions all over. I think it would help a lot if they'd just make Highway 965 uniform 4 lanes and get rid of the ditches on either side. It's kinda hodge podge all over town.

It's grown fast though. Even in 1990 it only had 2,900 people, and last I heard it was topping 10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or