U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:52 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
North Liberty is nice, it's just a little farther away from Iowa City. I've always thought it a little strange because it doesn't really have a town center. It has the highway cutting through town and then huge subdivisions all over. I think it would help a lot if they'd just make Highway 965 uniform 4 lanes and get rid of the ditches on either side. It's kinda hodge podge all over town.

It's grown fast though. Even in 1990 it only had 2,900 people, and last I heard it was topping 10,000.
That is what I don't like about North Liberty, it is too far from everything. And really there are not all that many stores out there yet. I'm actually surprised a Hy-Vee or something hasn't sprung up, but still nothing.

965 needs to be four-laned so badly too. Turning on and off that road during rush hour is totally impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
^^ Yeah, I grew up in Northern Coralville, born 1979, so we were in North Liberty a lot. Of course back then it was just the core area that is actually a small grid along Front Street, Penn, and 965 was just to the west of town.

I still like North Liberty I guess, it just seems so random and confusing. The town was so open to development that anything and anyone who wanted to build anything could literally throw it up anywhere. You have decent size subdivisions on random farms, and then farms in between before you hit more. None of the streets really connect, and there's no "flow" through the town. It's like a small town on acid.

I'm seriously not saying that to slam the city, the standard of living there is fine, and it's not very expensive - it just lost any small town flavor it had. Coralville kinda did the same, but it seems to hold its identity together a little more.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM

85 posts, read 287,386 times
I'm not terribly familiar with North Liberty, so I will leave that one to someone else. I would probably suggest Coralville to you. Iowa City has a more crowded feel to me, and Coralville seems to give off a more surburbian vibe, even though the two are right next to each other. Nothing in that area is hick. Both IC and Coralville have their share of restaurants and excellent shopping. The Coral Ridge Mall has just about anything you could want, you can even ice skate and see a kid's museum if you wanted to. I'm biased because I love my state, but I think the Iowa City area as a whole is beautiful. When the humidity wears down a bit, you should consider taking a walk or visiting a park there, I think you will enjoy it. And welcome to Iowa!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 98,321 times
You can look on Craig'slist or the press citizen (local online paper) website to get a good idea of rents in the area. They usually list as "west side" "coralville" "east" & "north liberty" University Heights is west. My guess is North Liberty will be the cheapest. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,513 times
As a student I have lived in East Side Iowa city. I am currently raising my children in N Coralville because we have a bigger land lot and larger home that we needed BUT There are some nice houses being developed over there on the south/east side and the city is keeping up with the road conditions and have cleared out a lot of the "bad" area. To be honest they have a great park over there where you can garden, a free brand new splash pad, and the sycamore mall. Plus you are not too far from downtown. The bad area they are referring to has been purchased and remade into small condos for sale. NO Worries! My professor was a 2nd shift cop in that area and he often complained about not having any work most nights. All of the corridor is safe. Just look for a place that will fit your needs. Good Luck!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,756 times
Cedar Rapids is the best place to live Hiawatha as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or