U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 AM

23 posts, read 114,161 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Me and my husband will be moving to Iowa this summer and I was wondering where a nice place would be. I will be starting grad school at U of I, and he will be looking for a job (probably in Cedar Rapids since he's an engineer). Anyways, we're looking for a beautiful neighbourhood, but not too far away, nor too hick.

We would like to live in the suburbs, but also a place where there is easy access to alot of restaurants, shopping and cafes. Can I find those in Coralville and North Liberty? or would I only find that in Iowa city.

We don't plan on living in downtown Iowa city, perhaps on the outskirts of the city if there is a quiet place. Can anyone give us a suggestion? Unfortunately I was unable to visit Iowa before accepting my position, so I couldn't check out the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:57 AM

267 posts, read 1,122,786 times
If you want close proximity to shopping and restaurants, I'd rule out North Liberty for the time being. There are some little stores and a few restaurants but nothing on the same level as Coralville or Iowa City, both of which could fit your needs nicely.

Coralville has Coral Ridge Mall (the second largest mall in Iowa) and that area is surrounded by retail stores and chain restaurants. The Coralville Strip (2nd St.) is also lined with restaurants and stores. It also has easy access to I-80 for an easier commute to Cedar Rapids, although North Liberty does have the advantage of being closer to CR. I think this would be my strongest recommendation for you. If you are looking for a more middle-class/upscale neighborhood, look north of I-80 and I'm sure you'll find what you want. Coralville is a nice suburb, you won't have to worry about anything in the area (or most of the state, for that matter) being "too hick."

The west side of Iowa City could fit your needs as well, you would be farther from shopping but there is a small area with a few restaurants, a grocery store, and a cafe at the corner of Mormon Trek and Benton. This would be closer to campus, but overall there is less going on in this neighborhood than there is in Coralville.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 AM

3,412 posts, read 4,885,653 times
Coralville is kind of a suburb, but in reality it is connected to Iowa City as one town. The entire north and west area of Coralville/Iowa City would fit your needs just fine. There is also a very nice area on the east side of Iowa City around Scott Blvd, but easy proximity to campus or Cedar Rapids would be hindered.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,587,050 times
I would live in North Liberty area. Housing is cheaper. They do have some strip malls and shops. Less congestion than Iowa City/COralville. NL is an area that is growing very fast. Your home value will probably rise greatly if you are there for any length of time.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 6,336,655 times
Iowa City and Coralville are pretty much the same town and I'd live there berfore North Liberty

Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM

681 posts, read 2,807,698 times
Welcome to Iowa City!

Coralville north of I-80 would be a good area: very well-kept suburban area, close to the Coral Ridge area, good schools.

North or east Iowa City would also be a good fit, but a bit farther from the shops and things you're looking for. Of course, nothing in Iowa City is ever too hard to get to.

North Liberty would also be OK. It's a bit of a bedroom suburb, but it has some of its own local shops and places. Anywhere decently close to Hwy. 965 would get you to Coral Ridge pretty quick.

The only areas to avoid are going to be: Iowa City south of Hwy. 6 (for sure) and central Coralville around 19th/22nd St. (if you can help it).

Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,885,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Welcome to Iowa City!

Coralville north of I-80 would be a good area: very well-kept suburban area, close to the Coral Ridge area, good schools.

North or east Iowa City would also be a good fit, but a bit farther from the shops and things you're looking for. Of course, nothing in Iowa City is ever too hard to get to.

North Liberty would also be OK. It's a bit of a bedroom suburb, but it has some of its own local shops and places. Anywhere decently close to Hwy. 965 would get you to Coral Ridge pretty quick.

The only areas to avoid are going to be: Iowa City south of Hwy. 6 (for sure) and central Coralville around 19th/22nd St. (if you can help it).
Good Advice. I understand that the police don't go into some areas south of Hwy. 6 without backup after dark.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Iowa City and Coralville are pretty much the same town and I'd live there berfore North Liberty
I'd agree with this. I'd look into Coralville north of the interstate, or really anywhere south except a few pockets of bad apartments that you'd realize right away anyway. In Iowa City look west of campus near Mormon Trek or Sunset, those have nice suburban like areas, as well as anything on the east side. Once you get west of Summit Street you clear out a lot of the students. As others said, stick north of Hwy 6, that area is going through a lot of upheaval right now, and it's pretty crazy, especially by Iowa City standards.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM

310 posts, read 1,180,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Good Advice. I understand that the police don't go into some areas south of Hwy. 6 without backup after dark.

that's a load of crap, this isn't the projects of NYC or South side Chicago. I've walked through that area at 2am without a care in the world. And I'm a skinny white kid

Old 05-25-2009, 10:46 PM

114 posts, read 450,182 times
I do have a question for all of you who post about Iowa city DO you currently (I mean right now) live in Iowa city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or