U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 34,664 times

Advertisements

I'm moving for grad school and am just curious as to what I should expect. I've never lived in such a small town, so I'm a little nervous. I don't like to claim a scene. I think it's sort of silly and juvenile to pigeon-hole like that, but I do look every ounce a hipster on most days, and I LOVE fashion to the nth degree.

I was told by a co-worker that IC is "cosmopolitan" for its size, but I'm not sure what that exactly means. I'd appreciate any light shed on that statement.

I'm also curious what the social vibe is--especially how bold women are perceived. What I mean is are people pretty passive? reserved? aggressive? I tend to be a fast talker, walker, and ready for verbal rumbles if need be (all in good spirit, of course). Will I be considered fierce by natives? Will that be obnoxious, offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,494 times
I don't think you can really generalize Iowa City at all. That's one thing that adds to its "cosmopolitan" vibe, there are people from all different backgrounds just like there might be in a larger city.

There are hipsters here and there's also plenty of blue-collar types. You might see some old hippies within a short distance of a young family. I can't really say how Iowa City as a whole will perceive you because Iowa City as a whole is a pretty broad place. Even among natives, there are huge differences between people. You may be considered fierce by certain people and other people might find you completely charming. But I believe that if you look, you can find people that will suit you in Iowa City. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 AM

23 posts, read 114,203 times
I'm also moving this fall for grad school. I too am nervous about moving to a small city. I've lived all my life in a big city. I hope it's nice there.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM

413 posts, read 1,568,260 times
I would suggest both of you check out the Iowa City Photo Thread to give you some idea of what you're in for.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,625,957 times
Iowa City has so many foreign students and people from all over the world that you shouldn't stand out in any way. Quit worrying. You'll see how "cosmopolitan" it is.
Now out in the boonies in the little farm towns might be a different story.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM

5,949 posts, read 14,403,548 times
As an Iowa grad and former Iowa Citian (who moved there from Miami), I agree with all the previous posts. (Sojouner, see also my post to the "Iowa City for carless older grad student..." thread.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM

85 posts, read 287,366 times
I think it's true you can't generalize. There are some very fashionable people in IC, and there's good shopping. IC has a varied sort of people, because so many people come from so many different places, so I am sure you'll find a nice group of people who will accept your personality.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM

681 posts, read 2,809,063 times
Yeah, you'll fit in fine. You might not want to go full on fierce with people right off the bat, but that's advice I'd give to someone moving anywhere. It's easier to make new friends when you tone yourself down a bit.

Welcome to Iowa City!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or