U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 AM

14 posts, read 34,684 times

Advertisements

I'm going to look at housing in the neighborhood between E. Court and Muscatine and then a two flat near Governor and Market in the next couple of days. Are there any bus stops near the E.Court/Muscatine neighborhood that would take me to campus? I'm having a really hard time finding housing because I have a furry, four-legged friend coming with me--even though he's coming with FIVE separate references from professional AND private sources (including the management of my last complex!). When I got an inbox full of "no's" from management companies and an offer for a scary basement apartment circa 1975, I about fell out of my chair (and cried a little). So, I'm hoping these locales will be convenient for a grad student. I'm also looking at a couple of duplexes in Coralville, though I'm not really suburb material.

Also, I've noticed that most of the converted homes in downtown IC--and even many apartments--have no central air just window units. Is this normal? Will a window unit suffice for the upper story of a two-flat in the summer, or will I spontaneously combust!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,124,008 times
You didn't ask about bus routes for the place at Governor & Market, but I'll tell you in case you don't know, in addition to the N. Dodge route, there is the Free Shuttle that would take you to campus if you are willing to walk 4 blocks to Johnson & Bloomington. Just another option to consider.

At E. Court and Muscatine, I'd guess the Court Hill bus would be your best bet. I know there is a stop at Summit & Burlington, which is not too far away, and there might be one even closer. I can't find a list of IC bus stops anywhere. Here is the IC Transit website with route maps and times: Transit - Bus Schedules

There is a IC Transit tripmaker here, which would have more details on stops but is not instant: Transit - Tripmaker

As for the air conditioning, my sister lived in an old house downtown with window air conditioners and she made it. It might be warm sometimes, but it is doable. Many older homes downtown don't have central air conditioning because they are simply too old.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM

14 posts, read 34,684 times
Thanks for the extra info! Is either neighborhood good for a grad student, you think?
I will have to call the IC Transit folk and see if there's a map of stops somewhere, because I couldn't find it either.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM

267 posts, read 1,124,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner in Iowa View Post
Thanks for the extra info! Is either neighborhood good for a grad student, you think?
Yeah, I think you've made some really good choices on neighborhoods. Both of those neighborhoods have a slightly older population and while they have a few students, they are quite a bit calmer than other neighborhoods closer to downtown. They are also quite beautiful, in my opinion anyway. (Summit St. around E. Court has the nicest old houses in town.) I don't think you could go wrong with either of those neighborhoods.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 PM

114 posts, read 450,585 times
Yes both are great. I am partial to Goosetown ( the gov/market flat) because I live there. nice and quiet and you can walk down town you can also get more that one window unit. And for the bus. Rochester goes straight down Market which will be a straight shot to campus. furry frinds are somtimes welcomed just shop around and welcome home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City