Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 PM

14 posts, read 37,327 times

Advertisements

So, I'm heading to IC tomorrow and will be looking at a two-flat and a couple of duplexes. I'm going to check out apartment complexes too, but I was wondering if anyone had any words of caution about places I should absolutely not touch with a ten foot pole! I am a grad student. I was planning on checking out Benton Manor (because they allow dogs), Hampton at Coral Ridge, and a place called Finkbine. I've only seen photos of Hampton. :-) Any other dog-friendly places I should check out?

Also, I plan on photo documenting (in addition to a detailed written walkthrough) the condition of my rental when I arrive. Since I have a dog, I'm wary of being charged for damages that he doesn't create. Does anyone know if photographic evidence will be recognized by the powers that be in Iowa? If anyone knows of steps I should take to protect myself and my deposit, I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 AM

100 posts, read 532,571 times
From the time I have lived here, it seems that there are really only two apartment complexes in the Iowa City area that have a disproportionate amount of crime, police calls, etc...

** Lakeside (Lakeside Drive & Hwy. 6)
** Broadway (Broadway Street, south of Hwy. 6)

They're both fairly close to each other, in Southeast Iowa City. I think you should be fine with the complexes you are looking at, and prettymuch any other area of Iowa City, Coralville, or University Heights. Good luck!

P.S.: Before I signed the lease on my apartment, I called the records division of the Iowa City Police Department to find out about the calls for service @ my complex. The number is 319-356-5285. Consider doing the same (with the Housing Dept.) to see if your apartment complex met inspection standards. 319-356-5120.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
I heard that Boston Way and Coral Ridge (is that it? My mind is blank. Between 22nd and 23rd in Coralville) are a little sketchy. Then of course there's the crap going on down near Broadway and Lakeside in Iowa City. Definitely avoid Lakeside.

Sadly growing up in the 80's there, we couldn't even name a "bad" part of town if anyone asked. There just wasn't one. Someone would get killed every 3-4 years and the whole town was beyond traumatized.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM

267 posts, read 1,227,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I heard that Boston Way and Coral Ridge (is that it? My mind is blank. Between 22nd and 23rd in Coralville) are a little sketchy. Then of course there's the crap going on down near Broadway and Lakeside in Iowa City. Definitely avoid Lakeside.
They re-branded Coral Ridge as Hampton at Coral Ridge.

I think Boston Way is kind of sketchy. Hampton at Coral Ridge shouldn't be too bad though, I don't think. I live a few blocks from there and this neighborhood is fine. I don't know if there's anything going on within that complex but I think they renovated it recently and I've never heard of anything happening there.

I also urge you not to look on the far SE side of town, anywhere south of Hwy. 6 is not good.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM

4,820 posts, read 6,825,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
They re-branded Coral Ridge as Hampton at Coral Ridge.

I think Boston Way is kind of sketchy. Hampton at Coral Ridge shouldn't be too bad though, I don't think. I live a few blocks from there and this neighborhood is fine. I don't know if there's anything going on within that complex but I think they renovated it recently and I've never heard of anything happening there.

I also urge you not to look on the far SE side of town, anywhere south of Hwy. 6 is not good.
The one exception to your last comment is the complex at Heinz Rd. This is well maintained and quite nice. It's the last apartment units before you are heading out of town.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 PM

14 posts, read 37,327 times
Thanks for the phone numbers DBQer.

I actually looked at the Hamptons at Coral Ridge today, and the apartments seemed nice as did the whole area. Maybe I have a skewed perception of what "sketch" is, but I never saw any needles in the parking lot or heard anyone screaming/yelling, nor did I get harrassed by anyone for walking around and checking things out. Does "sketch" mean dealers live there (or near) and undergrads are funnelling in and out? People getting stabbed at the bus stop? I'm totally confused.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The one exception to your last comment is the complex at Heinz Rd. This is well maintained and quite nice. It's the last apartment units before you are heading out of town.
That's true! Saddlebrook (?). I'm actually heading right to that complex at 730am tomorrow to see my good friend. that area is certainly nice. I think it's just overshadowed by Lakeside.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:17 AM

267 posts, read 1,227,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner in Iowa View Post
I actually looked at the Hamptons at Coral Ridge today, and the apartments seemed nice as did the whole area. Maybe I have a skewed perception of what "sketch" is, but I never saw any needles in the parking lot or heard anyone screaming/yelling, nor did I get harrassed by anyone for walking around and checking things out. Does "sketch" mean dealers live there (or near) and undergrads are funnelling in and out? People getting stabbed at the bus stop? I'm totally confused.
Oh no, there's rarely anything as scary as bus stop stabbings in this area. (Knock on wood...) Boston Way seems "sketchy" to me because of the type of people I've seen hanging around there. I don't know if there are drugs involved or what, but there's just something a little off about that street.

But I don't get that impression at all from the apartments you looked at, those seem nice. I drive by there every day at least twice (and sometimes at night) and I have never seen any suspicious activity going on around there.

@jmgg: Yeah, I will retract that statement for Saddlebrook. I drove by there the other day and those do seem to be a world apart from Lakeside. Even just seeing them, you can tell there is a huge difference.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:37 PM

114 posts, read 484,652 times
Lakeside was bought out and cleaned out a few years ago and upgraded. they still are on the low end but they are now condos, where the people can rent to own and they were cleaned up and remodeled.

OP for apartments that allow animals you would have to ask. some require a pet waiver plus a pet deposit. it just depends on the Landlord. Also don't limit yourself to complexes so a search, craiglist, Paper and the UI campus information center has lisitngs. I found ours there and the landlord is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City