U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,587,050 times

Advertisements

After 5 years of school there I know of at least one free spot. But good luck on them being available during school hours.

Pertending you are going to go to school there and get a way with free parking is living in denial. Life will be much easier if you just budget in some parking $$ and live with much less stress.

I've parked in Hancher commuter lots. Decent prices, busses every 15-20 minutes at rush hour. Good option if you commute every day. I've also used the Hawkey lots on the west edge of the city. It's about a 30-45 minute trip and the busses only come every hour or so. Maybe 20-30 min. intervals at rush hour. It's a good cheap option if you only use your car every week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 3,699,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
No. Never. Absolutely Not. Unless you park a mile away. And even then you have to move your car every 2 days. It's so much fun during winter.
This isn't necessarily true. While much of the residential streets has restrictions on how long you can keep your car there, there are streets where you can keep your car parked for as long as you want.

Areas I can think of off the top of my head: Clinton st. south of the post office, Dubuque st. south of Burlington, Capitol st. south of Court, Iowa Ave. and Washington st. east of Gilbert and Bloomington st. near the dorms, but those are almost always taken.

As others have mentioned, if the OP is going to be driving into the campus area it would probably be best to buy a pass to a commuter lot or one of the University lots. If you aren't going to be on campus long, the meters would work. If you don't mind a 15-20 minute walk, you can park on side streets that haven't been filled yet (like the Gilbert and Ronalds intersection).

IMO, if you want to save money, I'd get a bus pass. The public transit in Iowa City/Coralville allows you to get from most places to downtown pretty easily.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,587,050 times
Whenever I go there for more time than a meter allows I just grab one of the parking ramps. Not horrificly expensive and they are right next to everything.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

124 posts, read 464,350 times
Ha. They don't even offer free parking to the contractors that are working on their buildings.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,015 times
IS there anyone that lives in iowa city willing to let someone park in there drive way while I work. Anyone live near the university of iowa hospitals or college dorms? I am Willing to pay fee.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 AM

2,467 posts, read 3,699,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacity78 View Post
IS there anyone that lives in iowa city willing to let someone park in there drive way while I work. Anyone live near the university of iowa hospitals or college dorms? I am Willing to pay fee.
You could search Craigslist to see if there's any parking available. I didn't see any, and most of the parking is going to be on the east side of campus because there are more houses/apartments close to campus on that side.

I would look at this site: http://transportation.uiowa.edu/park...ities/employee and see if the price is do-able for you. I would prefer to park in the ramps just because I'd be closer to work. If you're working regular hours and you live in the Iowa City/Coralville area, taking public transit would be a good option.

Last edited by Slanderous; 08-23-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 08:02 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,149,982 times
This thread was good for a laugh. The necro-post is up just a few. Best of luck on finding that relationship where someone has a driveway and rents it out (thus not using it themselves). You might be able to find it.

The best part was the "Respect" for not having "surface lots all over town". In other words, the established parking garages have been very successful in dealing with zoning and ensuring that there is no new competition which keeps parking prices amazingly high for a weak little town. Most towns of that size have very few paid parking spots outside of the absolute oldest downtown places.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 AM

3,427 posts, read 3,440,662 times
msdelila
Have you found anything satisfying for your need for parking? The Iowa City forum is rather quiet unfortunately.
I have an acquaintance who works on campus & who bikes in from University Heights come rain, snow or shine but that option doesn't work for everyone obviously.
There are a slew of private development projects recently completed, underway or in the works for the core of Iowa City on beyond the massive amount of construction ongoing as the physical plant of the university recovers from the flood. Fortunately several of the new projects will have parking under or within the project buildings.
There is a wonderful parking/transit site that I strongly recommend that you visit. I can't successfully link to it here because of my office fire wall & it's incompatibility w/ the C D Forum.

The site address is: Parking | Parking and Transportation (this link is probably dead due to our fire wall, fyi..)

After looking over the resources & the great pdf map there, I'd suggest a chat with the helpful staff found there at 319)335-1475.
There are many close-in & further flung lots to choose from, including one near West High School called the Hawkeye Commuter Lot that has a quite reasonable monthly parking rate of $27.00 or @3.50 per day. All of the lots are linked in to central campus via free shuttle buses.
As I said earlier, the transit site noted above is an excellent one w/ tons of info for anyone trying to get into a lot or navigate around the campus.
Let us know how you have fared or do fare in your parking quest & good luck!
As an aside, Iowa City is an extremely vibrant small city with a thriving central core full of new, multi-faceted mixed use projects & the area is experiencing a rapid rate of job & population growth. The earlier labeling of it in this thread as a "weak little town" is way off of the mark & perplexing as to it's intent. I've known of several much larger cities that had comparatively dead downtowns & cores in comparison to that of Iowa City.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 AM

1,621 posts, read 2,312,650 times
I pay $24/mo to park in a UI designated parking lot and then take the free Cambus (available to the public) from there to the hospital, which also goes downtown and to surrounding areas. Check the above link that Atler provided for more info.

Last edited by smpliving; 09-23-2015 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City