Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 AM

23 posts, read 122,224 times

Advertisements

Are there any free parking lots on/nearby the UI campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,216 times
No. You MIGHT be able to find non-metered on street parking in the residential areas around downtown but don't hold your breath.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,482 times
Free? Nothing the UI does is free. And parking in Iowa City is notoriously difficult and expensive.

If you're here for a day, your best bet is to park in either the IMU or North Campus ramps and paying the maybe $6-10 dollars it would cost to put it there all day. If you're here longer term, you're probably best renting a parking space or seeing about getting a semester parking pass to the Hawk Lot.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 48,741 times
There are not any free parking places but you can park in the Dubuque Street parking ramp by the Sheraton and go into the library and get your ticket stamped for an hour free. If you do any shopping at the ped mall area they will also stamp it for any purchase over $10. Also you can check behind some of the local business downtown if you are lucky. Otherwise on street parking is your best bet.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,340 times
No. Never. Absolutely Not. Unless you park a mile away. And even then you have to move your car every 2 days. It's so much fun during winter.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:21 PM

23 posts, read 122,224 times
Aren't the hawkeye commuter or finkbine commuter lots any good? They have a commuter bus that comes every few minutes don't they?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 PM

114 posts, read 486,256 times
Hawkeye has buses going to downtown and the hospital and Finkbine is mostly the hospital. BUT you must have a parking placard or you could get anywhere from a ticket to having your car towed.
they are not any better or worse that any other parking at the U just a little ways out there

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM

20 posts, read 94,189 times
Look closely my friends. I parked at the same place almost every day for my last two years of undergrad free of charge. I'm not going to divulge the location, but if I figured it out then you should be able to. And if you do figure it out don't tell anybody because if lots of people start parking there it's not going to happen any more. But what do I care I don't go to UI anymore hahahahahha!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdelila View Post
Are there any free parking lots on/nearby the UI campus?

Well where are you living? Are you working or a student at UI? Will you be driving every day, or do you just want somewhere to dump your car?

Iowa City has done a fairly decent job at not slapping surface lots all over town, which I really respect. There are some large ones, but mostly out of sight and not in the heart of the city. You still have to pay to play of course...

Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdy View Post
Look closely my friends. I parked at the same place almost every day for my last two years of undergrad free of charge. I'm not going to divulge the location, but if I figured it out then you should be able to. And if you do figure it out don't tell anybody because if lots of people start parking there it's not going to happen any more. But what do I care I don't go to UI anymore hahahahahha!
Yes.... Everyone who's been here a while knows of a secret parking spot or two. But I still go here, and so I'm playing it close to the vest too. Muahahahahah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City