U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,200 times

Advertisements

I have a bit of a dilemma. I used to live in South Korea, (my dad was in the Army and we were stationed there) and I lived there for 7 or maybe 8 years. I graduated from high school there, and was really used to traveling with public transportation and really used to the culture. I should also mention that I'm half korean as well, but that's not really relevant. Anyways after I graduated from high school there, and growing a great friendship with a group of friends and being in a band, I moved to Iowa. The original plan was for all of us to move to Texas. It took some time but everyone besides me eventually moved to Texas.

So, now I've been living in Iowa for 2 years now (Davenport) and all I've been doing is going to community college literally. My life for two years consisted of staying home and going to class, with occasional family events. You can imagine how boring and depressing of a life that is. I've had a really hard time making friends, and finding a job. However, I've just recently been accepted to the University of Iowa and visited the campus and downtown area and it seems really nice.

Right now, I'm 21 turning 22 in a month and a half, and have two years of college under my belt. The big question is should I move to Texas where all my friends are and also at the same time pursue my passion which is being in a band (with my friends)? I understand its difficult to be big and make a living off of that type of job, but its something I truly enjoy doing. Being some super rockstar is something I don't expect and really don't want to be anyway.

Or.. I can go to the University of Iowa, and find new friends and a totally new life. Also the major I'm pursuing is Psychology. Also if I were to go to Texas I'd take a year off school so I could get residency and then apply for college.

So what would you say? I'm currently leaning towards just going to the University of Iowa, but I feel like I'll always wonder what if...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 AM

23 posts, read 114,226 times
Why do you need to wait to be a resident? Is it because of the tuition? I think that you should pay the extra money and not "lose" a year of college.

You should also take into consideration, what if things have changed with your friends. People grow up, and sometimes move on to other things and other friends. If you want to go and study in Texas, GO, but just to go so you can "hang out and play a few tunes" seems silly to me. If you are serious about pursuing music (not just as a hobby), and these guys will be your future bandmates and you have all agreed to follow this goal, then I would go.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdelila View Post
Why do you need to wait to be a resident? Is it because of the tuition? I think that you should pay the extra money and not "lose" a year of college.

You should also take into consideration, what if things have changed with your friends. People grow up, and sometimes move on to other things and other friends. If you want to go and study in Texas, GO, but just to go so you can "hang out and play a few tunes" seems silly to me. If you are serious about pursuing music (not just as a hobby), and these guys will be your future bandmates and you have all agreed to follow this goal, then I would go.
Yeah, the wait is so I can be a resident. I did visit my friends in Texas last year during break, and I had a good time. I'm always in contact with them through msn and stuff. So we usually know what we are up to on a daily basis, all my friends are still together and live together. I much rather study in Iowa then Texas. The thing I'm worried about most is if I go to Texas, is how hard it will be to get back into school If I do take a year break, because I can't afford out of state tuition. And even going to Iowa with state tuition I will be getting student loans which will cost 30k for two years.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Well if that's the case, then maybe it's a better idea to just go to the U of I.

I think you will be able to handle waiting another 2 years to be with your friends. After 2 years, you can go there, find a job, and do whatever you want. You can always go see them during breaks.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 AM

681 posts, read 2,809,560 times
I know this is going to sound terribly cliche, but it is still the best advice I can offer: listen to your heart. Only you can decide what's best for your life.

That said, I would lean toward Texas, with the caveat that your friends all live together or in the same general area (it wouldn't be a very practical arrangement if one lives in San Antonio and one lives in Lubbock, etc.).

You're a young man, it's OK to take a year and follow your dreams. Work, hang out, maybe take a few more community college classes, have some gigs with the band, so on and so forth. I really don't see how you would have a problem getting into UT a year from now. If you have decent grades, money and a pulse, you should have no problem getting in. I disagree with msdelilia--once you all graduate and get "real jobs" more than likely the window will close on the band.

Honestly, you don't seem real jazzed about Iowa anyway...

Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 34,680 times
Going back to school after time off is not hard if you're working towards a career/area of study you're passionate about. Working in the real world is a lot more painful than school ever can be, and from my experience and a quick survey of the 100+ graduate students in my department, taking time off to work and "find yourself" makes you all the more appreciative when you do go back to school.
Also, consider the cultural differences, cost of living adjustments, career/entertainment options, and each university closely before allowing in-state tuition or friends to direct your decicion. What would your specialty in psychology be? Do either of these schools emphasize it? Provide funding? etc...?
If you are very serious about music, being in San Antonio would put you closer to Austin, and if your band gets enough gigs in the coming year, going to UT-Austin would be an option (much better town than San Antonio too ;-).

Also! If you haven't already, get an internship or paid job in the psychology field before committing your next two years to it. You may switch your major. I've known scads of people, including myself, who changed after real-life work experience. Just one week of interning for a news station, and I knew journalism wasn't for me. The reverse was true when I taught--nothing could make me happier.

Good luck! This is an exciting time in life when you're free and wide open!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know this is going to sound a little weird, but I will feel old and behind if I don't go to the University of Iowa now. Part of me really wants to experience the college life and the environment while I'm still "young" even though I'd only sacrifice another year if I do go to Texas. I'm really tired of having to stretch out the years, because when I transferred credits from Korea (I took classes there for a year) a lot of them became electives and didn't count towards my degree so I had to retake them and stay in community college even longer. So, I'm really tired of prolonging, my degree.

Also, it's not that I don't like Iowa, its just I didn't really like the Community College and my whole situation involved with it. When I got to the campus, it made me see a light at the end of the tunnel, in terms of actually having a social life and such, but I guess this should be expected when going to a big University.

It's funny that you ask what my specialty in psychology is going to be, because I want to work with homeless people, and in Iowa I have to take 4 levels of a foreign language. I was recommended Spanish, and Texas seems like a possible future career. So, it may seem I may end up there anyway.

I feel so much pressure in making this decision, cause it is literally life changing. Before going to the University of Iowa, I was set in really wanting to get out of Iowa, and going to Texas. But, after seeing the campus and talking to an adviser from there, it gave me a change of heart. I'm actually trying to at the very least go visit Texas first, before I go to the University of Iowa. It has been a year and a half since I've seen my friends, so it will be nice to see them again. Oh yeah, also about my friends living situation, they all live together in the same house.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Look. I think that you should just get school over with. I graduated right away (within 4 yrs), and I am so happy I did. I know people who took time off and didn't start school right away, and now they really regret it. Me on the other hand, had finished with my B.Sc. and began working at age 22 making a nice salary, and being able to take vacations where I wanted, shop and go out to restaurants/movies/ etc. and have fun knowing that I had the money, and had already finished my degree.

Some people "suffer" when they are in the real world working, but some don't. I loved working, had a great job, made a great salary, bought and did whatever I wanted, and I was young enough to enjoy it! I didn't have a husband or kids to think about, so it was great.

Now, I'm going back for my PhD, and it's actually a bit hard, because I had so much fun with my life. Not that I will not have any fun now, but it's different, because now I'm back to studying, worrying about exams, homework, projects, etc.

I still think you should just finish the degree as soon as possible, and then go on living your life. I don't see how taking off one year will realistically benefit you that much.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM

28 posts, read 96,905 times
Mohr,

Go to U of I. I feel that I have a very unique perspective on your situation. I graduated from the U of I and just graduated from UT grad school. I also hated CC before going. The U of I is a fantastic school and city (even better than UT, though I wouldn't say that down here, but the City of Austin is one of the best in the country imo). If they are your friends, they will still be there in 2 years. I'm not a fan of SA and there is not a good public university there (at least nowhere near Iowa's or UT-Austin's level). Save your money, get a good degree and then come down to Texas if you still so desire. Ultimately though, do what feels right.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 PM

70 posts, read 253,446 times
Community College is 100% different than a large University. You cant go wrong either way. Being close to friends is awesome, but at your age and your experience (living in another country) i think you will be able to make friends quickly. My advice is find a roommate if you go to Iowa City. It will be 10 times easier meeting new people. Who knows, maybe you will start a band in Iowa City.

I agree that it may be difficult to get back into the swing of being a full time student if you moved to Texas. If you are a little worried about, you probably have a good reason. You know yourself better than anyone else. I know i was worried about taking a year off, and decided against it. Not to mention you always hear about the people that took a year off and never finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or