U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM

18 posts, read 60,814 times

Advertisements

So I'm a 21 (about to be 22) year old college graduate here in georgia..graduated from University of Georgia and thinking of moving up to Iowa...possibly coralville or Iowa city to manage my dad's business.

Anyways just a few questions

I've never lived anywhere but Georgia (well I was born in Pakistan but moved here when I was 9)....so in US only lived in Georgia

1) Hows the "severe" weather up in Iowa...I don't mind the cold or snow but tornadoes scare the crap out of me lol

2) Is Iowa city a big city, or more like a college town because of the University there? I lived in Athens, GA which was one of the best college towns there is and wouldn't mind that kind of a town

3) How is coralville? desriable place to live for a 22 year old guy?

4) How is crime relative to other states/cities?

5) I heard people are really nice, my professor was from Iowa and she couldn't stop raving about it lol

6) What about airports...is the only big airport in des moines? how far is that from iowa city or coralville? or are there other airports to travel back and forth to atlanta or other places in iowa city or coralville

Again I'm not looking for anything big or spectacular...I lived in a small town in georgia a lot of my life as well and like that kind of life...lived in Atlanta for 2 years for college was pretty good then lived in Athens, ga last two years and it was great

How is the economy? I'm gonna be in the retail business

And any tips on where to live what places to avoid near coralville or iowa city?

also last thing...might also have an opportunity to move to minneapolis...how does it compare to the two cities mentioned here...unlikely but what the hell might as well ask

i know its a long pots but thanks for reading! and any questions you have about Georgia I will try to answer lol

Last edited by anil099; 07-05-2009 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:46 AM

267 posts, read 1,122,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anil099 View Post
1) Hows the "severe" weather up in Iowa...I don't mind the cold or snow but tornadoes scare the crap out of me lol
While a tornado did actually hit Iowa City a couple years ago, tornadoes are an extremely rare occurrence. We may hear the tornado sirens a few times each summer, and you may have to go to the basement once in a while, but you could live here for many years and never see a tornado. I'd venture to guess that most people have never seen one.

Quote:
2) Is Iowa city a big city, or more like a college town because of the University there? I lived in Athens, GA which was one of the best college towns there is and wouldn't mind that kind of a town
It is more like a college town than a big city. If you liked Athens, you'll like it here.

Quote:
3) How is coralville? desriable place to live for a 22 year old guy?
Coralville is a very nice suburb of Iowa City that offers cheaper rent (but comparable housing prices, if you're buying) and a short drive into downtown. It is a center for retail stores because of Coral Ridge Mall, which is the second-largest mall in the state. Whether or not it would suit you kind of depends on what you want. If you want close proximity to nightlife, you might want to look at downtown Iowa City instead. If you want a safer, more family-oriented area, Coralville is great, as is much of Iowa City.

Quote:
4) How is crime relative to other states/cities?
Despite what some people around here think, Iowa City is extremely safe. There is one neighborhood on the southeast side of town that has had a few highly publicized fights, but overall crime is very low. Don't walk around drunk at 3 AM downtown and you'll probably be okay.

Quote:
5) I heard people are really nice, my professor was from Iowa and she couldn't stop raving about it lol
Eh, people are people. You'll find plenty of nice people but of course there are also people who are not very nice at all. It's like anywhere else if you ask me.

Quote:
6) What about airports...is the only big airport in des moines? how far is that from iowa city or coralville? or are there other airports to travel back and forth to atlanta or other places in iowa city or coralville
There is not a passenger airport in Iowa City itself, but Cedar Rapids' Eastern Iowa Airport is only about 15 minutes north. A (usually) cheaper alternative is the Quad City Int'l Airport in Moline, Illinois, about an hour east. Both offer non-stop flights to Atlanta. Des Moines is about an hour and a half (I think?) away.

Quote:
How is the economy? I'm gonna be in the retail business
Well, I can't say it's perfect, because nowhere is right now. But the Iowa City area does have the lowest unemployment rate of any metro area in the nation, at 3.2%. I believe retail sales have slumped a little, but you would probably be better off here than you would be in most places.

Quote:
And any tips on where to live what places to avoid near coralville or iowa city?
Steer clear of the neighborhood east of Gilbert, south of Hwy. 6, and west of Heinz Rd, just to be safe. Otherwise, I think the rest of the metro area is fine.

Quote:
also last thing...might also have an opportunity to move to minneapolis...how does it compare to the two cities mentioned here...unlikely but what the hell might as well ask
Well, it's a lot bigger. As such, it offers a lot more, especially for entertainment options. You would have to decide whether you wanted a more Athens-esque college town setting or the more urban life that Minneapolis can offer.

Hope that helped! Please ask if you have more questions!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 AM

wow thanks for the detailed reply! i will ask more questions as they come to me

im going up there for a visit maybe this month and will certainly report back

Thanks a lot!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:03 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,885,653 times
Iowegian hit it on the nose for advice. One side note comparing the Iowa City vicinity to Minneapolis.

Iowa City is comfortable and fun and with Cedar Rapids close it's got anything you need with the exception of major professional sports and lots of top tier fine arts. Then again, if you get into the U. of Iowa sports, you won't miss the pro sports offered by Minneapolis (with the exception of baseball). The only thing, to me, that doesn't compare is theatre offerings of the Twin Cities vs the Iowa City area.

The Twin Cities is much more of a rat race than the Iowa City area.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM

23 posts, read 114,161 times
Minneapolis is great, it's a bigger city, but great. It's nothing like NYC. I think there is tons to do in Minneapolis

Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM

One more question...I was checking airline tickets from Cedar Rapids to Chicago because I might want to visit every two to three months....the prices are like $300 for the cheapest and $400 normally why so expensive? It's only an hour flight...this makes me want to make the 4 hour drive back and forth lol Are the rates usually this high or are they hiked now for some reason...I remember like a few months ago I flew from Atlanta to Las Veags...a 4 hour flight for $350...why so much for neighboring states? I checked this on orbitz btw.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM

681 posts, read 2,807,698 times
Quote:
One more question...I was checking airline tickets from Cedar Rapids to Chicago because I might want to visit every two to three months....the prices are like $300 for the cheapest and $400 normally why so expensive? It's only an hour flight...this makes me want to make the 4 hour drive back and forth lol Are the rates usually this high or are they hiked now for some reason...I remember like a few months ago I flew from Atlanta to Las Veags...a 4 hour flight for $350...why so much for neighboring states? I checked this on orbitz btw.
Yeah, I would just make the drive or take the bus. That's how most people do it around here. They say they'll have Amtrak to Chicago in a few years, if you're around here that long.

As to why it's so expensive to fly to Chicago, I'm not sure.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Any tips on apartment complexes in coralville? I think im trying to decide between the hamptons and park place i think its called? there might be more

what im looking for is

1 bedroom....decent sized
if the apartment complex has a gym thats a plus....if not I'd like the room to be bigger so i can put a bench in there
laundry facilities preferable
price range....$700 is max ..$600-$650 is what im expecting to pay...$500 would be a great deal
and just in a good area that's all....in coralville

Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM

267 posts, read 1,122,786 times
I think the Hamptons at Coral Ridge are actually out of your price range ($750+) and are only 2+ bedrooms.

I don't have any experience with apartment complexes in Coralville, to be honest, but I know about their neighborhoods. I think Park Place would be nice location-wise, it is really close to the library, a large city park, police station, and only about a block or two from banks, a grocery store, a coffee shop, and a few other small stores. It's right on the Coralville Strip (2nd St., the main thoroughfare in Coralville) which makes for an easy drive anywhere in the area.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 AM

yeah good point....i love the park place location but it has no laundry facilities...what about scotsdale..its owned by the same company but has laundry....hows the area for scotsdale

also are there like coin laundries in coralville? 4 years of dorm life has got me over taking trips for laundry lol id rather have it close

what about parkside manor?

thanks sorry for the babbling on just trying to get first hand opinions rather than trust online review sites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City