Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,965 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Iowa City area for work and am looking at some properties online. I have been reviewing several threads along a similar track but wanted to ask specifically about one part of town.

I was looking at a place around Hienz Rd and HWY 6. Is this a good neighborhood? Is crime an issue in this area. Does anyone know if this is a student area or more of a professional populated area?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Suppression
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,670 times
That neighborhood would be my last choice in the IC area. There have been some recent crime issues along Hollywood Blvd., which is not too far west of there. (There were two rather large street fights in the last couple of weeks and the police are monitoring the area pretty heavily now.) It is definitely not a student area, being so far from campus. I would probably avoid the entire area east of Gilbert and south of Hwy. 6 if possible. Nowhere in IC is going to be as dangerous as inner-city gang turf or anything, but it's the least safe part of town.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
In general, avoid any area south of Hwy. 6 going east. This entire area has some growing pains with apartments not kept up, trailer parks, and residential areas that were once nice middle class neighborhoods that have gradually went the route of transitionaling to being rentals.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 28,327 times
That neighborhood is not safe. But Iowa City is small enough that living way across town is only a 15 minute drive to anywhere. Try the Westwinds neighborhood or any place on Mormon Trek, Oakcrest, Newton Rd around the hospital, Benton Street, or if you have more money, try the newer places on north Scott Blvd. Downtown is nice to visit but the loud music from house parties will start to annoy you, even if the rents don't. Avoid Broadway, Arthur St, and Lakeside (Dolphin Point) at all costs!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 12,965 times
Hmm... thanks for the advice!

Disappointing though.

I was looking to pay between 700 & 850 max. Being from Texas I am holding out for a place with a garage and w/d in the residence.

What are some of the newer places on Scott Blvd? I am going to be working for ACT with is just of I80 and Dodge St.

I am also looking at some place in coralville north of I-80 off Holiday and lynncrest. Any thoughts on this area?

Last edited by Suppression; 05-19-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppression View Post
I was looking at a place around Hienz Rd and HWY 6. Is this a good neighborhood? Is crime an issue in this area. Does anyone know if this is a student area or more of a professional populated area?
Yes and no. In general, that area of town is not good. However, it looks to me like the complex you're talking about is far enough east on Hwy 6 to be out of the really bad areas--Lakeside/Hollywood Blvd./Broadway. There are some people who live in that general area that seem to get along just fine and others who can't move out fast enough. It just depends on the person, I suppose.

(Off the record, it makes me really upset that Iowa City has "bad areas" now. It never used to.)

I guess I would look at other places first, but you'd probably be OK there.

Coralville north of I-80 is a good neighborhood. Lots of young families, graduate students and professionals, visiting immigrant students, etc. Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

The Scott Blvd. area is also very nice. I know of a few apartment-looking developments out there, but I couldn't tell you the names. Probably going to be pricey, though.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
I'd live there no problem..this is not the south side of Chicago.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,103 times
The crazy thing about this new "bad part" of Iowa City is that it's on the fringe of town, close to, our next to corn fields rather than an inner city area. I just wanted to point out that this is a unique situation with U.S. cities.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,670 times
Quote:
I am also looking at some place in coralville north of I-80 off Holiday and lynncrest. Any thoughts on this area?
I used to live very near Lynncrest and I agree with SharpHawkeye, it is a great neighborhood. Lots of younger people but nothing rowdy, close to North Ridge Park and the mall (you can actually walk to the mall through a tunnel under I-80 in the park) and new shopping at Holiday & Hwy. 965. The commute to the east side wouldn't be bad by interstate.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
I am relocating to the Iowa City area for work and am looking at some properties online. I have been reviewing several threads along a similar track but wanted to ask specifically about one part of town.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Suppression
That subdivision at Heinz and Hwy 6 is totally fine. I have a good friend I go visit there and she loves the place.

I think people are thinking it's bad because if you go west of there you have the mobile home park and Hollywood/Broadway areas.

Those areas are definitely turning to trash VERY quickly, and should be avoided as far as living, but they're not really "connected" to this place you're speaking at Heinz and 6. It's less than a mile away, but you don't get some random overflow from Hollywood down the highway into Saddlebrook "just because". My friend has never had a problem.

That said...you're literally on the edge of town. I'd look for something north of there, or in western Iowa City or anywhere in Coralville outside the general area of 7th street and 7th ave. It's not bad, but it's getting much more run down and sketchy. My family grew up in that area, and when they talk to friends who haven't moved out yet they said it's a totally different situation than just 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City