U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,749 times

Advertisements

My husband was just offered a job as a professor at University of Iowa, so it looks like we will be moving there in July. We are planning to rent for the first year or two and wondering what neighborhoods to look in. We are in our early 30s and have an infant and a toddler and would like to be in an area with other young families where we can rent a single family home rather than an apartment. Any advice on where to look?

Also, what range of rent can we expect for a four bedroom house? And, given that it's a college town that likely books up school year rentals in advance, is there a certain month that we should expect to need to arrange a rental by or will things still be available for immediate rental at the time of year we're planning to move?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 12:02 AM

771 posts, read 1,392,321 times
First, congrats on bagging a job at one of the best research U's in America, not to mention the home of the largest teaching hospital in the country.

Oh, don't forget the Awesomeness of Iowa Football.

That said, I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a rental house of that size, although it may not be close to campus. The rental housing market that you're referring to - they're not building those houses to be rented out to students, there's been incredibly aggressively building of high density apartments to complement the campus over the past couple of decades. One of the thing that rocks about Iowa (BA 84/MA 87 here) is that the campus is very compact and walkable (except during the subzero weather, and then you've got Cambus - as long as you don't freeze to death waiting for it).

Old 12-20-2009, 12:38 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,572 times
I know nothing about the availability of rental houses in IC, to be honest, so the neighborhoods I'm about to propose may not work out, but here's my thoughts anyway:

If you're looking for a more family-oriented, suburban neighborhood, I'd look on the west side of IC (really anywhere west of the river, although avoid Bartelt Road and maybe the Hudson Ave/Miller Ave area) or Coralville north of I-80. North Liberty is sometimes cheaper but also farther away and there are far less stores and things to do there. I'd look in Coralville or IC first, but there's nothing wrong with North Liberty either, it's just a personal preference. You'll find plenty of young families in all of these neighborhoods.

If you want a more urban neighborhood, closer to campus, Northside is a nice neighborhood. (North of Bloomington, between Dubuque and Dodge) It's a historic area right off campus (so there are students around, which is something to take into consideration, although for being so close to campus, it is surprisingly quiet) with brick streets and some of Iowa City's oldest homes. This neighborhood is a mix of student rentals (grad and undergrad) and families. Rentals will be easier to find here, but there are probably less families around, and the atmosphere isn't quite as family-oriented.

I hope this helps!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,896,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
I know nothing about the availability of rental houses in IC, to be honest, so the neighborhoods I'm about to propose may not work out, but here's my thoughts anyway:

If you're looking for a more family-oriented, suburban neighborhood, I'd look on the west side of IC (really anywhere west of the river, although avoid Bartelt Road and maybe the Hudson Ave/Miller Ave area) or Coralville north of I-80. North Liberty is sometimes cheaper but also farther away and there are far less stores and things to do there. I'd look in Coralville or IC first, but there's nothing wrong with North Liberty either, it's just a personal preference. You'll find plenty of young families in all of these neighborhoods.

If you want a more urban neighborhood, closer to campus, Northside is a nice neighborhood. (North of Bloomington, between Dubuque and Dodge) It's a historic area right off campus (so there are students around, which is something to take into consideration, although for being so close to campus, it is surprisingly quiet) with brick streets and some of Iowa City's oldest homes. This neighborhood is a mix of student rentals (grad and undergrad) and families. Rentals will be easier to find here, but there are probably less families around, and the atmosphere isn't quite as family-oriented.

I hope this helps!
Coralville south of the mall is also very nice and usually has some zero lot condos for rent. In fact, I think there's one for rent right behind my daughter's condo. PM me if you're interested, I'll find out.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 PM

681 posts, read 2,809,214 times
Good ideas, all! Welcome to Iowa City!

All I'll add is a quick note on the schedule for rentals around here. Most apartments here go on the market in January/February/March and most leases start August 1 or thereabouts. You may have to bump the move back a little bit.

Also, the University has a lot of good resources for professors and others they bring to the area. Your husband might be able to talk to his contact at the U, and they might be able to help.

University Off-Campus Housing Service (http://apps.imu.uiowa.edu/housing/index.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or