U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times

Advertisements

^ where are you going to be living? I guess I didn't know you were going to be in that area south of the highway.

Renting? It's extremely strange you'd be down there as a student as it's so non-condusive to the University. It's about as far away from campus as you can get in the city, unless you're way up on the other side of Coralville. Also, that highway isn't pedestrian friendly AT ALL. You're basically on one side of it or the other unless you're driving to a specific place - which is the case in most of the city unless you're up near the downtown/campus area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,501,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ where are you going to be living? I guess I didn't know you were going to be in that area south of the highway.

Renting? It's extremely strange you'd be down there as a student as it's so non-condusive to the University. It's about as far away from campus as you can get in the city, unless you're way up on the other side of Coralville. Also, that highway isn't pedestrian friendly AT ALL. You're basically on one side of it or the other unless you're driving to a specific place - which is the case in most of the city unless you're up near the downtown/campus area.
I'm not sure if I will be attending University of Iowa yet, still have to see my financial situation in comparsion to other schools.
I will be living on campus if I attend the school, but as a adventures person I ofcourse like downtown/ campus but also would like to explore my surroundings.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:43 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,955,407 times
I have a few dozen friends all over Iowa and they say the Drug Problem is bad. I do know Iowa is the Meth Capital or was of North America. They told me its like an Urban environment in some Schools, Drugs , guns etc. Now being form an Urban-Suburban type state , this shocks me in a way. Is your state doing anything to combat this? Also is Mason City ,a Dangerous city?

~Corey

Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 PM

^ I think there's a pretty high amount of exxageration there from people you're talking to. It's probably also relative to a persons perspectives. People will say how Iowa has tons of crime and school problems, but that's because they see things changing in their areas. If you compare that to any urban area or places down south though, lots of people would think it silly to believe Iowa has a huge problem with crime and schools. Kinda a grass is always greener type thing. Things are different in Iowa than they were 20 years ago, but on average it's still much better than most states, especially school-wise. Much better.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:58 PM

4,711 posts, read 6,347,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I have a few dozen friends all over Iowa and they say the Drug Problem is bad. I do know Iowa is the Meth Capital or was of North America.
~Corey

15 different states claim to be the meth capital.

The drug problem scare comes from small towns where if 10 kids get hooked then "Holy shiit!! Half the kids in town are hooked on meth!!! Call Tom Brokaw!!"

But statistically speaking, I think all 50 states are having their problem with meth, crack etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I have a few dozen friends all over Iowa and they say the Drug Problem is bad. I do know Iowa is the Meth Capital or was of North America. They told me its like an Urban environment in some Schools, Drugs , guns etc. Now being form an Urban-Suburban type state , this shocks me in a way. Is your state doing anything to combat this? Also is Mason City ,a Dangerous city?

~Corey
Someone is making this up. There are very few places in Iowa that I would describe as even remotely dangerous.

Iowa is not the meth capital of North America, I believe that is actually Missouri. And while there are certainly meth labs around, (because of the high amounts of anhydrous ammonia being used in this area) it is not something the average Iowan would even be aware of.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:47 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,955,407 times
well , i saw a documentary / News story about it last year and years prior. It specifically pointed the finger @ Iowa.

Chicago60614 : I suspect a few of my Mason City Friends are dealing @ School , but its just a suspiciousion. I think hes bragging to me , turning to make himself tough , i know he does drugs becuz one night on the webcam he crushed pills infront of me. Actually i broke the friendship in December , but i don't know have to alert the proper authorities in Mason City. He Told me (rumors) that its at least 20 kids. Trust me i would tell , if i knew how too.

~Corey

Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 AM

Strangely the more I searched articles and reports, the more I kept seeing San Diego mentioned as the meth capital. That honestly surprised me, I didn't know it was such an issue in California.

In terms of violent/property crimes by state rankings, Iowa tends to come in around 33rd to 36th depending on the year and the source. For murder it's usually a little lower though, ranking in the 40's.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM

178 posts, read 314,015 times
Having lived in Iowa City from 1996-2001 I was at one time an expert on this thread. I have been back a few times since and feel like things have changed little since I left. The majority of the crime in Iowa City is related to drunk college students and an over-enthusiastic police force. Without the college, Iowa City would be just another quiet outpost along I-80. There is a lot of meth in Iowa, but from what I had seen, this only resulted in minor property crimes and retail thefts etc. I honestly did not lock my doors for a few years. If you plan on studying at the University of Iowa, crime needn't be a concern. Appropriately planning your time will be more important.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,501,799 times
Thanks for the reply as I will be living in Iowa City this fall.
Contray to what you have posted, what I read on and off this forum ( other resources) locals state that the city has been taken over by Chicago natives who would spark crime there but instead locate to a more prone city as Iowa City. It has also been stated that Iowa City policies have only made itself prone to become crime hike.

So reading your response is much more comforting. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or