U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 11,882 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to move right next to the university because he's going to be a resident at the hospital. I want to move to North Liberty and live with the soccer moms and kids (ours are 7 &4). He insists that the weather will be so awful in Iowa that he will only want to live within walking distance of the hospital (we're from San Diego). I think it wouldn't be that bad to drive the 15 minutes to the hospital, but he seems to think that would be hell. We live 20 minutes from his work now, and that is super awesome considering the freeway congestion and all. Please help me persuade him that he won't be snowed in all winter and unable to make it to the hospital. I need local input thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,572 times
Well, to be fair, North Liberty is farther than 15 minutes from the hospital. It takes me about 10 and I live very near Coral Ridge Mall in south Coralville. North Liberty would be at least 20 minutes out, I would say.

Driving in winter is rarely a problem. Maybe one or two days per year, you might not be able to make it, but if you live in town and you drive slowly and carefully, you can usually get where you need to go. I think most people in Iowa City go to work every day despite the weather, even if school is closed. It will be a major adjustment coming from San Diego, but I think you will adjust over time. It doesn't really snow that often.

I think you could probably compromise on Coralville. It has a more suburban, family-oriented feel to it (especially north of I-80) and it is quite a bit closer to the hospital than North Liberty. It is also much closer to shopping. I personally don't feel that there is any added advantage to living in North Liberty as opposed to Coralville except that it is sometimes a bit cheaper.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM

54 posts, read 128,993 times
The roads in Iowa City are pretty clear in terms of congestion. Morning traffic is not that bad. The city has a great public transit system with many routes going right past the hospital.

The biggest issue with driving to the hospital is parking. There isn't much other then parking ramps and that can get quite expensive I would imagine. There are some commuter lots as well that are accessible by buses.

The city is fairly quiet, decent size for a college town. Going to have 3-4 weeks or so in the winter where it is well below freezing temperatures.

We had 37"+ of snow in December this year. Sometimes we'll get a solid inch of ice then inches of snow. It's not fun, but it's Iowa - it's also very beautiful.

Would consider buying something Front Wheel Drive or 4x4 if you don't already have a vehicle like that.

North Liberty is pretty nice. Kind of expensive. There are many alternatives around the city.

Good luck and welcome to Iowa! Go Hawks!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarkey View Post
My husband wants to move right next to the university because he's going to be a resident at the hospital. I want to move to North Liberty and live with the soccer moms and kids (ours are 7 &4). He insists that the weather will be so awful in Iowa that he will only want to live within walking distance of the hospital (we're from San Diego). I think it wouldn't be that bad to drive the 15 minutes to the hospital, but he seems to think that would be hell. We live 20 minutes from his work now, and that is super awesome considering the freeway congestion and all. Please help me persuade him that he won't be snowed in all winter and unable to make it to the hospital. I need local input thanks!!!
I assume he means the weather awful = winter? I really wouldn't put all your basis on where you live because of winter weather driving. I mean winter is cold, but normally you can count on your fingers how many times a year the weather plays a huge role in making a dangerous commute. When it ever did happen, my dad always just jumped on the bus that day so he didn't have to worry about it. I don't think North Liberty is efficiently connected to the bus systems in town though (Iowa City Transit/Coralville Transit/Campus).

Mid April through Mid November are between the 50's and 80's - and that's 7 months of the year right there.

I certainly wouldn't want to be walking to work all winter! Housing might be difficult as well if you want to be THAT close to the hospital. I mean that's basically on campus, a huge campus, not a lot of decent housing for a family. Quite congested, surrounded by thousands of college students, a pretty hilly area.

I would look more at Coralville, North Liberty or the residential areas of IC in the Western part of the city. Winter is just something you have to get use to - but really Iowans are able to handle most conditions anyway unless you're getting more than 4-5 inches of snow or possibly ice. That doesn't happen often. They plow and salt everything the second it starts snowing. It might take awhile to keep up/play catch up with the snow - but its usually back to normal in around 24 hours. If it's bad enough he can't make it in - that means everyone else in town is in the same boat.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Thanks for the info, now I have more questions!

Thank you all for your input, sounds like we will be able to get around in the snow just fine, but I might want to trade in my car for 4 wheel drive? Do any of you have school age kids? I want them to have neighbor kids to play with. So is Coralville a good place for this? Any other moms in the same boat as me have any other input about their favorite places to live? I picture Iowa as this place with kids running around the block in the summer in packs like it was when I was little in Utah.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM

54 posts, read 128,993 times
Kids are definitely plentiful in the area. I'm sure you will be fine in Corallville with plenty of soccer moms in the area. I am in school here and don't have any kids - but see an abundance of them at the mall whenever I head out that way.

VERY good soccer programs here in Iowa City as well if you are interested in youth soccer

4 wheel drive is not necessary, but if your vehicle is rear wheel drive, you might consider 4 wheel or at least front wheel.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Oh, I think my Mazda 5 is front wheel drive, I just need to get all-weather tires. You guys are so helpful!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:51 AM

11 posts, read 29,409 times
I live in North Liberty. Your husband is correct. The winters get so bad sometimes that the roads become very hazzardous. It isa a very smart idea, in my opinion, to live within walking distance. I did the same. I live right across from my job so I can walk in the winter and no chance of being snowed in. I would suggest that you move close to UIH.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 AM

120 posts, read 277,940 times
Hi there, I just wanted to add a quick note to what others are saying.

Two items I wanted to add about parking at the hospital. First, I don't know what parking arrangements are made for residents, but parking can be a problem at the hospital. If the hospital offers free dedicated parking spaces to residents, he should be fine, but otherwise, parking is costly and often hard to find. Second, in regard to the issue of time spent driving, once he is at the hospital, I would add on at least 10 minutes for him to park and get to his department.

While I appreciate your desire to be out in N. Liberty, your husband's schedule may be better served by being closer to town. Have you considered living in Coralville? In certain areas of Coralville you would still have the suburb-y 'feel' you are looking for, but still have a reasonable drive/park time.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 18,083 times
Default i live in NL

jstarkey,
First off, congrats to your husband for matching at the wonderful UIHC for his residency. What is he studying?

I moved to NL from Des Moines to continue training at the U. I lived in an awesome suburban area previously with the "soccer moms". My children are 19, 13, 10, & 8. I was unpleasantly suprised at NL and the IC area in general. I do not feel as if people are as friendly as they were where we were at before. I am not trying to dump on NL/IC/Coralville and my only theory is that the population may be very transient due to residents etc... that neighbors don't seem very neighborly here. No one is down right mean, but I don't sit out in the front yard and have a chat or beer with my neighbors while the kids play. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves.

That being said, I would investigate A LOT before you buy or build in the area to make sure you are getting what you want. Don't just pick a lot d/t the large amount of backyard playgrounds in the area (what we did). Also for an area the size of NL with the subdivisions it has (Arlington ridge, Broadmore Estates, Windsor Farms, Cedar Springs) you will notice that none of them have a playground for the kids, Well, "Broadmore Estates has a pond" just what I want my kids doing. You will also find an overabudance of Zero Lot Line homes here compared to other suburban cities. There is a new elementary school going up and lots of discussions/drama about the redistricting of the Iowa City Schools.

The roads are fine, NL to my parking lot at the U (Finkbine, which is where many residents park ) is exactly 12 minutes in excellent weather, I don't think it took me longer than 20 in the winter.

I'd be happy to talk to you one on one as a suburban mom to another, my email is redmomof4@mchsi.com

hope this helps,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or