U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM

20 posts, read 62,109 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on visiting Iowa City during the month of April. I plan on checking out the University of Iowa campus because I am a fellow Big Ten almun since graduating from the University of Minnesota. However, what other kinds of things are there for weekend visitors. FYI, I am from Minnesota and will be traveling from Minneapolis. I would enjoy any suggestions that you have to offer since I have only been to Iowa once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 AM

60 posts, read 191,820 times
How long do you plan to stay? Overnight once or for a few days?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 AM

681 posts, read 2,809,214 times
Bringing kids? Friends? Wife/girlfriend? Traveling alone?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 AM

20 posts, read 62,109 times
I plan on coming on a Thursday and staying until Saturday or Sunday. I will only be bringing my girlfriend and we are in our mid-20's.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 AM

120 posts, read 277,940 times
Here is the general link to the Iowa City/Coralville Convention and Visitors' Bureau. This is a good place to start.
Iowa City / Coralville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau - ICCCVB (http://www.iowacitycoralville.org/visitors.asp - broken link)

Visitors' Bureau list of things to see/do:
Iowa City / Coralville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau - ICCCVB (http://www.iowacitycoralville.org/visitors_whattosee.asp - broken link)

Link to Englert Theater:
http://www.englert.org/?gclid=CKK8k9...FQTyDAod6i0xeg

Link to Hancher:
Hancher Auditorium / The University of Iowa

Riverside Theater:
Riverside Theatre: Big Drama in a Small Place

Iowa City has great restaurants: a couple of my favorites are the Motley Cow, Red Avocado, Lynn Street Cafe, David's, Thai Spice, Masala. Red Avocado and Masala are vegetarian. I am sure others will offer other suggestions.

Have fun!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM

681 posts, read 2,809,214 times
If you like nature stuff you should go check out the fossil gorge at the Coralville Reservoir. There's also some neat hiking trails at the lake, and a boat/kayak rental at Lake MacBride that's awesome (if the weather is nice enough).

There's also the Old Capitol Museum and the Iowa Museum of Natural History.

I would take some time to wander through some of the great new and used bookstores in town, like Prairie Lights, Northside Book Market and The Haunted Bookstore.

There are a ton of great restaurants in Iowa City. I would add the Hamburg Inn #2 (http://www.hamburginn.com/home.asp - broken link) to the list, if for nothing else than the amazing history of the place. (Although it's decidedly NOT vegetarian...)

There are a number of bars downtown that you might check out, as well as check what bands are at the Picador and Yacht Club.

Last, if you're into history, I'd swing by the Amanas some afternoon. They're pretty cool to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or