U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 27,190 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier about a possible move to the iowa city area. Well, we came out for interviews and to look around and we really liked it (and they liked us!). We saw a couple houses w/ a realtor and found a great one in Solon. It really seems like a nice area - what do people here think?
I have to admit, I didn't see anything anywhere around like grocery stores - where do people go?
Any restaurants?
We would need to do some repairs to the property - currently a rental and dirty, a little beat up and decorated primarily with posters of mostly naked women - !
Plus we'd love to get a good farm planner and landscape designer to help w/ placement of a new barn, paddocks and the like as well as putting together a landscape plan. How do I find someone who can do that? Suggestions?
Anyone know of any horse - livestock - farm publications or websites for the area?

Thanks for your help!!!
slc37
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
^ My mom worked in Solon teaching at their Elementery school for decades. It's a nice little town, but yes, it is LITTLE.

It's right down the street from Cedar Rapids and especially Iowa City/Coralville.

We still have friends that live up by the lake in Solon, and it's only about 15 minutes or so to get to stores/restaurants etc in Iowa City. I think that's why the town is growing little by little still, people like to be away from the middle of an urban area - and Solon is just the right distance.

I haven't heard anything bad about the town....you really don't hear anything about it. My mom always complained about the school district, but it's in Iowa, so I doubt it's THAT bad. It's not like a ghetto poor district or anything.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 AM

681 posts, read 2,809,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc37 View Post
I have to admit, I didn't see anything anywhere around like grocery stores - where do people go?
Any restaurants?
slc37
Welcome to Iowa City! (plays fanfare)

The short answer to your question above is: well, they go to Iowa City...

As for Solon being a good area or not, I would say it is. But Chicago is right that people don't talk about it much...it's not exploding like North Liberty or Coralville. All I know from personal experience is that I've seen some incredible houses along Hwy 1 from IC to Solon, and especially around the lake area.

I don't know anything about farming/landscaping myself, but I would imagine that would be availiable in IC or Cedar Rapids for sure. If not, Chicago is not that far away to bring someone in from there.

By the way, I'm guessing this place used to be a frat-boy house rental?!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 27,190 times
thanks chicago and hawkeye!
I like that Solon isn't exploding - makes it easier to get a nice piece of land. This house is really nice - old but very nicely remodeled (til the renters came along)

wrt the current renters - one was home when we came to look - all I can say is he was very polite, no matter his taste in decor!
And there weren't beer bottles/ keg-orators / big greek letters sitting around, so not sure if they were frat boys or just, well, boys!

Anyone else w/ farm/property planning advice for the area? I hate setting up my fencing / waterers and then realizing I should have done it differently, as always seems to happen!
Thanks!

Old 06-25-2007, 03:02 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,235,105 times
Did my prevous post not go through?? Weird.
Anyway - as for restaurants, isn't Solon the home of that restaurant with the world famous tenderloins, or am I confused?

Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 PM

282 posts, read 947,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Anyway - as for restaurants, isn't Solon the home of that restaurant with the world famous tenderloins, or am I confused?
Yes, there's a bar/restaurant with the hugest tenderloins there. We used to go there all the time when we lived in North Liberty but haven't been there for years. It's still there, I know from driving by it. Really a popular place.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 PM

282 posts, read 947,371 times
Quote:
Just remembered the name of the place: Joensey's

Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,235,105 times
Yep, Joensey's, I remembered it right when I started reading your first post. YUM!

Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 AM

4 posts, read 18,083 times
I'd love to know more about Solon also... anyone else have any input?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 AM

296 posts, read 1,183,105 times
Quote:
Yep, Joensey's, I remembered it right when I started reading your first post. YUM!
Unfortunately, Joensey's in Solon is still closed by order of the health inspectors. A little cockroach issue, from what the newspaper said. Joensey's in Center Point remains open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City