U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 AM

413 posts, read 1,586,780 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can overlook Davenport and the Quad City area in this thread. We have a lot of interesting history and character. I mean, Road to Perdition wasn't based on Dubuque...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 AM

586 posts, read 2,009,288 times
Some of these are getting a little old, but here are a few of my photo galleries on Dubuque and Burlington...and for good measure, Davenport.

Dubuque:
absolutedsm.com - Dubuque

Burlington:
absolutedsm.com - Burlington

Davenport:
absolutedsm.com - Davenport

Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 AM

66 posts, read 168,867 times
(Safe) Just stay out of the west and east sides,But a very,very old downtown is what you are looking for,waterloo would be the spot,nothing built downtown there in the last 100 years and that includes both downtown's there.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 AM

9,668 posts, read 9,221,043 times
Off the trail but look at Osage.
Osage Chamber of Commerce

Old 06-25-2010, 05:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,769,310 times
Wow, these pictures are making my mouth water, seems like Iowa is going to be the place to be. Okay, between the three; Davenport, Burlington, Dubuque, which seems the best suited for

-Cheap real estate
-Job availability
-Diverse populace (I came across some news about Dubuque being 'white-centric', having racial tensions, unwelcoming of outsiders; more specifically someone planting burning crosses on people's property. I hope this isn't true. Also, I'm Chinese.)

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I need to know what or how these issues are today. Also add any other cities that may cover all these and still have what I was looking for in the original post, that being charm.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 PM

413 posts, read 1,586,780 times
I'll give my opinion/ranking on each of the 3 things you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
-Cheap real estate
The Davenport/Quad Cities metro area is one of the most affordable metro areas in the country for average home cost. That said, smaller communities like Burlington are probably cheaper yet. Dubuque has seen a recent influx of new folks moving in to work at IBM, so I'm hearing that prices may have gone up some. When it comes to rentals, Davenport isn't all that cheap either, actually. So probably Burlington is the cheapest on real estate right now.

Quote:
-Job availability
This one is tougher, but its only between Dubuque and Davenport. Dubuque has a great economic development team, and they've landed a couple recent big employers, but Davenport does alright as well. Burlington probably would be the toughest of the 3.

Quote:
-Diverse populace
Davenport. That's almost certainly backed up by demographic stats, but for now my opinion is that a larger metro area like the QC is going to be more diverse, and more accepting of diversity. In general, I'd say the bigger the metro, the more diverse, so this one probably goes Davenport, Dubuque, Burlington.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 27,517 times
Dubuque, Burlington and Pella or Knoxville (if you don't mind being land-locked)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM

10 posts, read 34,603 times
Pella is an amazing place!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:46 PM

all right, fairfield looks amazing as well. damn, too many choices. they even focus on growing organic food, i believe due to the maharishi town nearby? not sure. can anyone vouch for the abundant indian cuisine? love indian food.

Last edited by BVitamin; 06-27-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Also forgot to ask about the floods and tornadoes. How often do these floods/tornadoes happen and which city is hit worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa