U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 9,382 times

Advertisements

I'm a successful 26 year old male with a wide variety of job skills, from metal fabrication and manufacturing to project & sales management. I am relocating to the Estherville to attend ILCC's Wind Energy Program & I am finding it very difficult to find a 2nd or 3rd shift job that will fit with a day-school schedule. I have not been able to find ANY vacancies in the local apartments & dorm housing is not an option for me. I have searched for employment & housing 5 days a week since early May & have made one trip to Estherville without any luck.

Anyone with friends or connections in the area that may be able to help, I'd greatly appreciate some direction.

Anyone know someone with a garage apartment or other?

Thanks in advance,
-Alfred Cobb
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM

458 posts, read 2,145,921 times
You might already know this, but...ILCC in Estherville does have some housing options that are regular apartments.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Yes Sir, I am aware they have apartment style housing. From all the information I could gather none of the apartment housing is single bedroom. Frankly, I just dont think bunking with a student fresh out of high school is a great option.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 24,877,706 times
Did you look in the whole Spirit Lake, Okoboji area? It's an area of maybe 10,000 that's located 10 miles west.

It's a recreation/vacation type area, so there is probably more to do anyway than if you were right in Estherville. Don't hold me to that though! I haven't been up there, just know people from the area.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Yes, I've been very thorough in my search for employment & as for Spirit Lake area, there are quite a few jobs though housing is much more expensive. I would definately consider working in that area, I'm just in need of a 2nd or 3rd shift job (due to school) which limits my availability.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times
Default Housing in Estherville, IA

Hi Al:

As a property owner in Estherville, I will give you the same advice and info I give to all those who have called or asked. I know you have searched extensively, but some good resources are the most obvious. The first of these is "bulletin boards." The Hy-Vee grocery store on Central in Estherville has a large bulletin board right inside the door, and it is well-used. Pamida also has a community bulletin board, as does the IA Lakes Community College Housing Office in Estherville. Check them out and put up notices yourself.

Another good resource is "Okoboji Online". This website (okobojionline.com) has a classified section that contains rentals from all around, not just the Spirit Lake area. Also check out the classifieds in the hard copy or electronic version of the Emmetsburg Daily news. The local classifieds in the newspaper will have a few apts./houses, but I feel there are more leads on Okoboji.com - look at them both.

Contact all the Realties. There aren't that many, so the task is not too daunting. I know that Clarken Realtors usually has a number of rentals available. Their phone # is: 712-362-4332.

Lastly, it is important to know your financial limits and interest in sharing . Are you looking for a one bedroom, or is sharing with other students an option? I rented a huge flat (2-3 br)for $485.00 to a young man who came out from New Jersey to attend the Wind Energy program at ILCC. He did acquire a room-mate and almost 2 years later, has graduated and is now seeking employment. He has been an excellent tenant, but most probably will be leaving at the end of the summer.

This should be good for starters. Best of luck.

Tarney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: