Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time since I've been to Ames, but it always seemed nice to me. The town basically exists just because of the college. Des Moines has most of the things a big city offers except for professional sports teams, but there is the Iowa Cubs and (I think) arena football. Aventureland is a nice amusement park that is a great place to take the kids and so is the state fair. The nightlife is also good for adults. Whenever I visit my family there I have a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
It's been a long time since I've been to Ames, but it always seemed nice to me. The town basically exists just because of the college. Des Moines has most of the things a big city offers except for professional sports teams, but there is the Iowa Cubs and (I think) arena football. Aventureland is a nice amusement park that is a great place to take the kids and so is the state fair. The nightlife is also good for adults. Whenever I visit my family there I have a great time.
Des Moines professional teams:

I-Cubs -- AAA Baseball
Barnstormers - Arena Football
Energy -- NBA - D League

Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM

28 posts, read 121,449 times
My husband went to school there. If offered the opportunity I would live there again.

It was just voted #9 on Money Magazine's Best Places to Live list for 2010.

Best Places to Live 2010 - from Money Magazine

Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM

33 posts, read 134,588 times
Yes, I knew about the recent Money Magazine thing -- I never know how much stock to put in that list. Seems to me that there should be not too much change from year to year, but in fact the entire list changes pretty drastically each year, without too much carry-over from the previous list, which makes me think they are just picking places out of a hat and saying "OK, Ames Iowa, this year it's YOUR turn..."

What aspects of it did you particularly like? Are there any things about it you are glad to see the back of?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
THIS POST INCLUDES AMES PLUSES AND MINUSES

I have read over Ames and if your not expecting too much from the place it is a nice place to live. You will also have Des Moines, large city, nearly 30 min commute. Downside I have heard Ames has began to have a crime problem, probably seen as minor for other cities like Milwaukee, St. Louis, etc... but not Ames norm a couple years ago
I also would state that Iowa City and Des Monies are the best options within the state of Iowa but Ames and other cities are also nice.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,346 times
I am merried with 3 children , and my husband and i are thinking of moving. We were wondering about the living cost in Iowa for a big size family? what kind of work there is there? And what the schools are like?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 117,910 times
Pluses - a small, tightly knit community and a hot, happening college town. Iowa State University is a "destination" town for any Cyclone fan, and it is a very large university. Opportunities. Great people. Low crime and affordable housing for anyone. Fun little cafes.

Minuses - if you are accustomed to living in large cities, you may find Ames an adjustment. There simply isn't as much "excitement" in a town like Ames as you would be used to. You may also view Ames as a "hick" town with nothing to do but drink and look at college girls. Public transportation is busses and cabs only. You will need a car to get around.

Des Moines is only 45 minutes from Ames and has a lot more activities to do, so you are close to Des Moines for more action. Lakes/water activities close to Ames include Saylorville Lake in Ankeny, Lake Red Rock near Pella. Both are fun.

I personally love Ames but I was born and raised in central Iowa so I'm biased...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa