U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Iowa
2,998 posts, read 3,298,062 times
Reputation: 3764

Advertisements

RWD vehicles do not get around well in an Iowa Winter. FWD is much better, especially a small vehicle with skinny tires on it. Wide tires do not bite into the snow and contact the road surface like a slim tire will. My old festiva was incredible in the snow, six inches on the road would not stop it from climbing a hill. I miss that car for winter driving, should of never sold it.

I get by with my RWD Ranger until the snow gets packed down on my hilly side street. Even with 300 pounds of sandbags in the back, it's still quite worthless. Thats when I take the sandbags out of the back and put my tire chains on, and go for a pleasure drive. Sometimes I like to stop halfway up an icy hill to see if the 4WD riding my tail can start from a dead stop and keep pace with me up to the top of the hill. They never can, my awesome 2.3 is too much competition for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
 
135 posts, read 357,646 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I like to stop halfway up an icy hill to see if the 4WD riding my tail can start from a dead stop and keep pace with me up to the top of the hill. They never can, my awesome 2.3 is too much competition for them.
I advise you to make sure that vehicle behind you is not a grand cherokee with Quadra-Trac and a 5.7 hemi, you will be the one in for a surprize.
They dont slip if driven correctly , and there is deffinately no lack of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2010, 11:30 AM
 
28,699 posts, read 41,719,319 times
Reputation: 37503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Sometimes I like to stop halfway up an icy hill to see if the 4WD riding my tail can start from a dead stop and keep pace with me up to the top of the hill. They never can, my awesome 2.3 is too much competition for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercruiserdr View Post
I advise you to make sure that vehicle behind you is not a grand cherokee with Quadra-Trac and a 5.7 hemi, you will be the one in for a surprize.
They dont slip if driven correctly , and there is deffinately no lack of power.
Or someone who just had a nasty fight with their girlfriend and has a gun the glove box...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top