Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM

135 posts, read 408,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Do Subaru's have interference or non interference engines in them?

Jasper Hobbs
The older models were non , the newer ones I must admit I am not sure of.
Around the late 90's Sube started pricing itself right out of my market so I started rebuilding Jeeps and big GM FWD cars , they sold well around here and were more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,613 times
I've had a FWD Toyota RAV4 for years now. Great college car--good weekend tripper, nice balance between gas mileage and ability to haul a lot of junk around. It's pretty comparable to your Sportage.

I've had a mixed experience with it in the winter, to be honest. It does pretty well, (it's gotten me everywhere I wanted to go), but it's no snowmobile. It struggles sometimes with getting traction (little engine sitting over the front axle = little weight on the tires = little traction). Good tires help a lot, and so does smart driving; but now that I have a "grown-up job" I'm going to start looking for a new car and AWD is something on my list.

A lot depends on where you live/drive and how much you like/need to get out in the weather. If you live in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, QC, etc. and you have a boss who understands that you might not make it in when there's 10" of snow on the ground--you'll probably do all right with the Sportage. If you live in the sticks and your boss wants you in come hell or high water--you might want to look elsewhere. It doesn't have to be AWD--but just a little bigger, heavier car would do.

Sorry for the long reply, hope that helps.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM

Probably the best Sube buy I ever had was one I bought in Texas.
It belonged to a lawyer's wife , it had just quit on them and was sitting in their driveway and wouldnt move.
It was a 96 Outback, I found out about it thru an ad in the thrifty nickel where they wer advertising it for junk.

I was in Dallas at the time on my way to hit a couple of the insurance and lenders auctions when I ran across the ad while at a truck stop.
I called and her hubby said its tranny was locked up and they didnt want to spend the money to fix it, the car had 54,000 miles on it so they considered it deceased.
I got the directions to their house and we stopped by to take a look at it.
after getting the keys i messed with it for a bit and made a discovery , the tranny wasnt bad , the rear differential was what was locked up !
So I inquired how much they wanted for it,, when he said $500.00 I couldnt hardly count the money out fast enough LOL !

After buying the car and getting the title signed over i went out and my friends and I winched the sube onto our car toter and drove off to the auction.

While they attended the auction I worked on the sube.
I popped the two rear axles loose from the CV's and took out the drive shaft.
After tying the offending pieces securely to the bottom of the car I drove it around the lot to make sure it was road worthy, and it was.
I ended up driving it home from Dallas , popped a used rear differential into her, and had me a nice Outback for sale.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 PM

408 posts, read 809,351 times
Thanks for all the input everyone! I live in Cedar Rapids...so they tend to take care of the snow fairly quickly. The particular Sportage I was looking at is a 4 Cylinder. So I think it'd do pretty well as for gas mileage. The only problem I was worried about was the fact that I live off a VERY busy road in C.R. and getting to work in the morning last winter was NOT fun in my little stratus...even though it did pretty well for being a low-to-the-ground car. People breaking down a hill with snow...not a good idea. And that's the real isssue I was concerned with was traction for the 2WD SUV. I barely could bring my car to a stop last winter driving down a busy hill with people breaking all over the place....so I was hoping the SUV would fair slightly better.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
People breaking down a hill with snow...not a good idea. And that's the real isssue I was concerned with was traction for the 2WD SUV. I barely could bring my car to a stop last winter driving down a busy hill with people breaking all over the place....so I was hoping the SUV would fair slightly better.
You need to study up on the teachings of one Dr. Ferdinand Porsche , its harder to stop and change the course of a bowling ball than it is a basketball.

Unfortunately you are going to learn the same lesson that all those hotshot Formula 1 and indy car drivers have had to learn the hard way upon moving to NASCAR.
Those bigger heavier cars dont turn or stop nearly as fast as those lightweight open wheel jobs.
If you are buying a sport ute under the belief that it will stop and handle better, you are headed in the wrong direction my friend !

Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the input everyone! I live in Cedar Rapids...so they tend to take care of the snow fairly quickly. The particular Sportage I was looking at is a 4 Cylinder. So I think it'd do pretty well as for gas mileage. The only problem I was worried about was the fact that I live off a VERY busy road in C.R. and getting to work in the morning last winter was NOT fun in my little stratus...even though it did pretty well for being a low-to-the-ground car. People breaking down a hill with snow...not a good idea. And that's the real isssue I was concerned with was traction for the 2WD SUV. I barely could bring my car to a stop last winter driving down a busy hill with people breaking all over the place....so I was hoping the SUV would fair slightly better.
Uh, a Subaru AWD is a better choice than any 2WD SUV. The AWD has a lower center of gravity, better traction, better handling, and better control. Gas mileage is about 30 mpg on the highway with four cylinder models.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Are you sure that isn't a Front wheel drive and not a two wheel drive? As far as the traction with braking, what is the condition of your tires? New tires can make a ton of difference with snow and braking.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 AM

408 posts, read 809,351 times
The website I found the vehicle on said it was front 2WD. I'm looking at a 4WD of the same model now...slightly more expensive but I think it would definitely be worth it in the long run!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM

412 posts, read 1,152,992 times
I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX which is a 4 cylinder and fwd. It should do ok in snow. I drove it in snow few times in the past and made it no problem. I got stuck in a parking lot with over 6-7" of snow on the ground....I made it out barely! Also, got stuck on a side street as well, had to get a shovel to get snow out of the way to get a bit more traction. That was when I lived in Seattle area which left witth bad snow totals.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,538,353 times
Many new snow drivers with 4WD are so taken with the traction that they forget that a 4WD doesn't stop any better or corner much better than a 2WD. In fact, some front wheel drive cars do better than most 4WDs.

Anybody remember the old Saab corn poppers? They made 4WDs look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa